HS20 goes on Infrared

Started Jul 18, 2011 | Discussions
carnaga Regular Member • Posts: 301
HS20 goes on Infrared

It was a really windy day and the trees were blurred cause of it. HS20 is 100% compatible with the IR filter. Sorry for bad quality. I'm going to another bicycle trip after two weeks to a beautiful place called "Urjala". I'll take better shots when the windy weather calms down for the long exposure IR photos.

These two pictures are my first shots with Hoya IR filter. Despite the weather, they turned out ok -- in my opinion thought.

-- hide signature --

HS20Exr settings comparison:
http://carnaga.wippiespace.com/HS20exr/

carnaga's gear list:carnaga's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
Baseman Regular Member • Posts: 444
Re: HS20 goes on Infrared

Great shots! I've always been interested in IR photography but never got any IR filters. It's good to know the HS20 can do this. So now to buy myself a filter. What nm filter did you use?
--
The world is my palette and my camera is my tool to capture it!

Baseman's gear list:Baseman's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
OP carnaga Regular Member • Posts: 301

I got (today actually) the Hoya R72 IR 58mm filter from my local store.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
Baseman Regular Member • Posts: 444

carnaga wrote:
I got (today actually) the Hoya R72 IR 58mm filter from my local store.

Ok cool. The filters go from what, R70 (700nm) to R72 (720nm). Then they get classes as IR76 to IR85 (760nm - 850nm). That's as posted by Hoya themselves here: http://www.hoyaoptics.com/color_filter/ir_transmitting.htm

I've heard somewhere around 680nm is where the human eye stops seeing the light spectrum. Maybe a bit lower.
--
The world is my palette and my camera is my tool to capture it!

Baseman's gear list:Baseman's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
JoePhoto Veteran Member • Posts: 6,916
Re: HS20 goes on Infrared - DO I UNDERSTAND A 2 SECOND EXPOSURE TIME

Beautiful shots,

But do I understand correctly a 2 second exposure time, (@ f/4) ???

-- hide signature --

Thanks for reading .... JoePhoto

( Do You Ever STOP to THINK --- and FORGET to START Again ??? )

nizios Forum Member • Posts: 73

Beautiful shots but I see the centre of the frame is a bit brighter. I got the same effect with my S200EXR.

nizios's gear list:nizios's gear list
Pentax K-500
Gary Garnett Forum Member • Posts: 80

As always I want to disclose I work in the industry for those that are concerned about such things.

The sensors in most digital cameras can see some UV and IR light along with the visible light. Camera manufacturers put a hot mirror filter over the sensor inside the camera to block the UV and IR light, and only let the visible light (generally considered to be from 400nm to 700nm) reach the sensor. The camera will not produce good photos if UV, Visible and IR are all allowed to reach the sensor, so the UV and IR are blocked.

The Fuji HS-20, like most digital cameras, has a "hot mirror" filter over the sensor.

Some hot mirror filters leak a small amount of IR light. This small amount of IR light isn't a problem when taking regular pictures because it isn't enough to show up in the photos.

But with some cameras if a IR filter is placed over the lens to block the visible light, the hot mirror may will leak just enough IR light that the camera will actually take a IR photo.

This will vary from camera to camera. When running hot mirror filters through the spectrophotometer, it's been found hot mirror filters vary quite a bit from one manufacturer to another, and from camera model to camera model .

When the IR filter is placed over the lens, it blocks the visible light and only lets that small amount of IR light leaking through the hot mirror to reach the sensor. Because it's a small amount of IR light it simply requires a longer exposure time to make a IR photo.

The HS-20 is now being used by some forensic photographers who have had the camera converted by replacing the "hot mirror" with clear optical glass.

With clear optical glass over the sensor in place of the hot mirror, more IR light is now allowed to reach the sensor, so the exposure times are pretty close to normal.

The light spot in the middle of the photo is often called a "hot spot". This is caused by IR light reflections inside the lens. It's important to keep in mind that the lens was designed to be used with visible light, so engineers aren't that concerned with what happens with IR light when it passes through the lens.

The hot spot isn't that unusual. It's been found on a number of different lenses, including expensive major brand lenses. Some lenses have it and some don't.

The hot spot isn't all that bad on the HS-20. It will vary some depending on the aperture being used and the focal length the zoom lens is at.
--
GG

tripleC
tripleC Senior Member • Posts: 1,557
Re: Gary

Excellent explanation of IR and filters . Thanks much

tripleC's gear list:tripleC's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
Labe
MOD Labe Veteran Member • Posts: 9,826

they have turned out well. i'm lucky i got the IS-1 which is a s9600 with no AA filter so i get much better shutter speeds. Thanks for sharing. Paul UK

-- hide signature --

new to technology,always learning

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Olympus E-M1 Sony a5000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
Re: HS20 goes on Infrared - DO I UNDERSTAND A 2 SECOND EXPOSURE TIME

JoePhoto wrote:

Beautiful shots,

But do I understand correctly a 2 second exposure time, (@ f/4) ???

Yes. Digital cameras normally block most of the IR light passed by the lens, so when you use a filter on the lens that blocks visible light, very little IR light reaches the sensor. Fuji used to sell modified versions of its S3Pro DSLR and S9100 cameras that removed the internal IR filtering. Instead, you used a filter on the lens to pass either visible light or IR light and IR sensitivity was much better. Side benefits of the greater IR illumination reaching the sensor is that you could still see what you were shooting on the LCD display, and shutter speeds are fast enough to easily allow hand-held shooting.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0701/07010403fujifilmfinepixis1.asp

Gary N W Forum Pro • Posts: 10,857

Hi Carnaga,

Rather nice images I feel. Good job and thanks for sharing.

Kind regards, Gary N W SFO

Thank you all so much for your comments! And I'm sorry that it took so much time to give a response. I've been on my 3rd bicycle trip and I just got home... And I've gathered almost 3500km of cycling in this summer already And next weekend I'm starting my 4th bicycle trip =^.^=

@ nizios and @ Gary Garnett as you mentioned I didn't realize that the HS20 & Hoya R72 IR developed a "Hot Spot" to the images. Now that you mentioned it, I started to edit the pics to eliminate the effect. And as I tried to merge the "Hot Spot" to the rest of the scenery with different layers, levels & brightness, contrast, saturation etc - I'm really starting to be pleased to the results with HS20 + IR:

The Hot-Spot area is large and easy to edit cause of it's size. I've seen some pics where the hot-spot is a small - really bright dot-area in the middle of the image.

So, here is my latest IR shot - taken in an ugly town named "Huittinen". The town is found 75km south-west from Tampere (the place I live). With plain eyes the river is brown cause of fertilizer from near fields and mud.

-- hide signature --

nizios Forum Member • Posts: 73

Wow, beautiful, fairy-tale scenery. Only an unicorn is missing
I really love this shot!

nizios's gear list:nizios's gear list
Pentax K-500
jakeythesnake New Member • Posts: 18

nizios wrote:

Beautiful shots but I see the centre of the frame is a bit brighter. I got the same effect with my S200EXR.

Which IR filter do you have on your S200, and can I see some sample photos?

Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
And Now for Something Completely Different

carnaga wrote:

The Hot-Spot area is large and easy to edit cause of it's size. I've seen some pics where the hot-spot is a small - really bright dot-area in the middle of the image.

Nice shot, and the most appropriate comment seems to be "cool".

The "Something . . ." above refers to Thom's latest photo for commentary, this time about capturing biker babe using an IR converted G11. For those that are interested, he also just reviewed Olympus's little XZ-1.

This image was taken right at the end of the session when things were winding down, riders were cooling off, and everyone's "posing guard" was mostly down. I've been showing a lot of images lately with "mystery" in them, and this is yet another. Who is this? Why is she dressed like this? Where are we? How did she get here? While it might look like she's shot putting, she's actually pivoting on response to a pose request from another photographer off to the right.
. . .
http://bythom.com/

Here is a fresh IR shot taken today in The Park of Haihara, Tampere, Finland.

Taken with HS20 & R72 IR filter.

FujiFilm FinePix HS20 EXR (FinePix HS22 EXR), 7 mm, ISO 100, 1/2 sec, f3.2, -0.33 EV, Aug 17, 2011 14:47

-- hide signature --

And here's a shot of Iidesranta in infrared. I go through it every working day.

-- hide signature --

alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459

Wonderful IR compositions! A couple of questions-- were these handheld, how well could you see the images in the LCD preview, does the HS20 have live histogram in manual mode and what kind of post process did you do? Did you channel swap with PS?

Thanks!
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more

Thank you for your reply =^.^=

All of those IR shots were taken on a tripod. The reason is that HS20 has already built in filter front of the sensor and when you attach a separate IR filter -- it blocks even more of the visible light. In bright sunny days you need to go with 1-2 sec exposures.

It depends of the subject that can you see it in the LCD preview while you are shooting. For the best composition and result you should make the composition first without IR filter, lock the focus via "AE/AF Lock" button, screw the IR filter on and let the cam do the rest.

I haven't used manual mode on those IR shots thought you can use histogram in manual mode -- it's not that accurate that it would be as useful as you wished, but in manual mode it has exposure bar displayed on the bottom of the screen.

What comes for PP, I use a channel swap in PS. And because HS0 has already a built in filter for blocking IR, it creates a large hot-spot area in the centre of the frame which I edit/merge away as I PP. And of course, I take a manual white balance from patch of green grass before shooting.

alexisgreat wrote:

Wonderful IR compositions! A couple of questions-- were these handheld, how well could you see the images in the LCD preview, does the HS20 have live histogram in manual mode and what kind of post process did you do? Did you channel swap with PS?

Thanks!
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

-- hide signature --

Lens Profile for HS20exr:
http://amerphoto.wordpress.com/

alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459

Wow, is that picture straight out of the camera? It's gorgeous! I notice you use ISO 100, could you get hand held exposures with higher iso if you used EXR SN or Pro Low Light mode? Or are you already doing that and were the original images 8 MP?

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads