1mm paper recommendation for Epson 3880

Started Jul 18, 2011 | Discussions
megepson3880 New Member • Posts: 6
1mm paper recommendation for Epson 3880

I have an epson 3880. I am trying to print on 1mm thick paper (Carolina C1S white glossy 24pt ~ 1mm thick/408 gsm thick). I cannot print on the glossy side, the ink sits on top of the paper. I spoke with Epson support thinking maybe I just needed to adjust my settings, but he said if the print comes out wet, that paper will not work with my printer.

I bought it in large sheets (28 x 40) and had it cut down to my desired size (8x14).

Could anyone recommend an alternative paper of similar thickness that an epson 3880 will print on?

Thank you.

Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,563
Re: 1mm paper recommendation for Epson 3880

megepson3880 wrote:

I have an epson 3880. I am trying to print on 1mm thick paper (Carolina C1S white glossy 24pt ~ 1mm thick/408 gsm thick). I cannot print on the glossy side, the ink sits on top of the paper. I spoke with Epson support thinking maybe I just needed to adjust my settings, but he said if the print comes out wet, that paper will not work with my printer.

I'm not sure why you purchased a paper used for copying or offset. Was there a particular reason you needed this paper? If the ink is pooling there are one of two solutions. The first is to reduce the amount of ink laid down and to provide more time between head passes (slow down and turn off bidirectional). Some coatings are incompatible with pigment inks and in the end you'll just have to abandon the paper.

I bought it in large sheets (28 x 40) and had it cut down to my desired size (8x14).

Could anyone recommend an alternative paper of similar thickness that an epson 3880 will print on?

That depends entirely on intent. What kind of surface do you need - glossy, satin, matte, etc. Archival? If you provide a bit more direction, perhaps we can help.

xilvar Senior Member • Posts: 1,403

Not exactly the same, but the heaviest weight archival class paper I know of is the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 500gsm

http://www.hahnemuehle.com/prod/us/460/344/photo-rag-188-308-500-gsm.html

Not sure how thick caliper-wise that is. Note that it is a fine art paper, with a very pleasant matte paper feel, but of course it is not glossy.

For non-archival papers probably some form of 'POP board' would be glossier but possibly thicker as well. I'm not sure they make any small enough to fit through a 3880 though. It might only be sized down to 24".

xilvar

megepson3880 wrote:

Thank you.

Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674

megepson3880 wrote:

If you want to continue with this paper, you could buy a roller applied pigment ink receptive coating.

Epson has UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper. The 500 g/m² isn’t quite as thick (30 mil ≈ 0.75 mm) and it is C2S. The smallest available sheet size is 24 x 30 inches.

Brian A

irvweiner Contributing Member • Posts: 705

Can you tell us why you chose this media--what are your actual requirements?

If you must use this media, purchase a quantity if Inkaid, a coating receptive to inkjet printing.

good luck irv weiner

OP megepson3880 New Member • Posts: 6

I am printing photos.

I did not intend to purchase paper I could not use I went to a local paper supply store and was told it would work with my printer. It doesn't, I have now confirmed this with both Epson and the paper supplier, so I'm moving on and hoping for recommendations for thick paper (approx 1 mm thick) that other people have experience printing on with the epson 3880.

Thanks.

I need:

Glossy
1mm thick/ 400gsm
size minimum 7 inch x 13 inches

I'm printing photos, does not need to be archival.

I couldn't find the combo thickness and size, so I went to a local paper supply store in my city. They told me the paper I bought would work on an inkjet printer, but I have since confirmed with Epson and the paper supplier (not the store that sold it to me, the company that makes the paper - International Paper) that it will not work with an inkjet.

My preference would be to find a paper that would work without coating it, but I'm certainly willing to try coating the paper if that is significantly more economical and the print quality is just as good.

Has anyone tried printing on coated paper? How is the print quality?

Thanks,

Mary Ellen

That depends entirely on intent. What kind of surface do you need - glossy, satin, matte, etc. Archival? If you provide a bit more direction, perhaps we can help.

Glossy
Archival? - No

1mm thick/400gsm
min size 7 x 13 inches, I can have it cut down if needed

Thanks.

megepson3880 wrote:

I need:

Glossy
1mm thick/ 400gsm
size minimum 7 inch x 13 inches

I'm printing photos, does not need to be archival.

I couldn't find the combo thickness and size, so I went to a local paper supply store in my city. They told me the paper I bought would work on an inkjet printer, but I have since confirmed with Epson and the paper supplier (not the store that sold it to me, the company that makes the paper - International Paper) that it will not work with an inkjet.

My preference would be to find a paper that would work without coating it, but I'm certainly willing to try coating the paper if that is significantly more economical and the print quality is just as good.

Has anyone tried printing on coated paper? How is the print quality?

It is almost all coated. What you are printing on is C1S (coated one side), it just isn’t coated for pigment based inkjet ink. But if you mean coated by hand, then I have printed on sheet metal that I have coated; it needs a clear coat afterwards. It works very well, There are several YouTube videos on the process.

Why do you need to print on 1 mm stock? Does it have to be exactly 1 mm, or are you after stiffness or some other property?

If it doesn’t need to be 1 mm, then you would be better using thinner glossy paper and dry mounting it onto a thicker substrate: formcore, gatorboard, posterboard, etc. You could even dry mount onto the 1 mm stock you now have. The tape is better than the spray and comes in several sizes:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-568-Positionable-Mounting-Adhesive/dp/B000JGQM1Q

Brian A

It is almost all coated. What you are printing on is C1S (coated one side), it just isn’t coated for pigment based inkjet ink. But if you mean coated by hand, then I have printed on sheet metal that I have coated; it needs a clear coat afterwards. It works very well, There are several YouTube videos on the process.

Yes, I meant coated by hand. I'll check out youtube

Why do you need to print on 1 mm stock?

I am making a photo book for a child, I need the pages to be thick enough that she can't tear them.

Does it have to be exactly 1 mm, or are you after stiffness or some other property?
It does not have to be exactly 1mm, I am looking for stiffness

If it doesn’t need to be 1 mm, then you would be better using thinner glossy paper and dry mounting it onto a thicker substrate: formcore, gatorboard, posterboard, etc. You could even dry mount onto the 1 mm stock you now have. The tape is better than the spray and comes in several sizes:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-568-Positionable-Mounting-Adhesive/dp/B000JGQM1Q

I have not tried dry mounting, I was worried she would be able to peel it off, but this may be the best option for me. I'll check out your link, thanks.

megepson3880 wrote:

I am making a photo book for a child, I need the pages to be thick enough that she can't tear them.

Then I would go for something more resilient, such as plastic or canvas. There are lots of suppliers of inkjet coated canvas, including Epson. Paper, no matter how thick, is easily torn.

Brian A

ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482

megepson3880 wrote:

I have not tried dry mounting, I was worried she would be able to peel it off, but this may be the best option for me.

I did make picture books when my kids were very young - I used laser prints laminated in pouches and bind with large spirals. Worked like charm and they could eat and read at the same time. Indestructible!

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100
BobMert Senior Member • Posts: 1,306
Print suppliers have some

Epson makes a coated C1S for the packaging business to make samples from. Contact a local print supplier like XPEDX or some of the smaller ones. I have several boxes on hand at work and it prints very well but is a bit brittle and must be cut and folded while still damp
--
BobMert
If it wasn't for printing my images would just sit on my hard drives.

donmcmahan Forum Member • Posts: 83

INNOVA DIGITAL Inkjet Photo Fine Art Photo Canvas Ultra Gloss 380gsm - IFA 36

Thanks, I'll look into canvas.

Jim Gif Junior Member • Posts: 33
Laminate

The simple childproof and cheap solution is to laminate your photos which you have printed on a basic but compatible photo paper, just one up from every day copy paper. The Epson website has a very simple advisor to tell you what is compatible with your printer and will sell it to you online if required. Laminators for that size are available very cheaply, $30, easy to use and work well. The laminate gives a gloss to the photo and makes it almost indestructible and the finished pages are easy to bind together, with such as a hole punch and ribbon for a child. It works out cheaper than printing on quality photo paper and will outlast most kids.
Regards, Jim.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads