Live View Coming to the SD!??

Started Jul 16, 2011 | Discussions
Scott Greiff
Scott Greiff Senior Member • Posts: 1,701
Live View Coming to the SD!??

Sigma held an event in Japan today at the Meiji Jingu Cultural Center where they had three photographers show off their work in Okinawa. They had some cameras there for people to try out as well as a few people there with their own SD1s.

Fujieda-san (Maro) posted an article up on his blog about the day:
http://maros-notebook.txt-nifty.com/notebook/2011/07/20110716-5c48.html

What was interesting about this post was the part where Maro posted some answers to some of his questions.

Maro asked if Live View was possible on the SD1 without a hardware change. He was told that indeed, the SD1 could do Live View without a change to the physical camera. Maro then went on to confirm this with the president of Sigma and he qualified it a bit more, "We can add the feature, however the hard part is to ensure that the camera operate in a stable manner with that addition. However, this is a high priority for us and we plan to take this on as soon as we finish working through some of the issues that we have pending right now. When and if we actually make this happen is up in the air at this point."

Later in the article Maro mentioned that Sigma is in the middle of developing a new sensor and that they are fully engaged and excited about the work they're doing with sensors and DSLRs.

-Scott

Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Panasonic S1 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro
spm
spm Veteran Member • Posts: 5,557
Re: Live View Coming to the SD!??

Thanks Scott for the info...live view is most welcome as far as what I like to photograph, which is a lot of infrared. I can't wait for this to happen.
S
--
'Life is fragile, too short, and flys by
If you let it
So choose what you want every day
and go get it'
-Anonymous

spm's gear list:spm's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro +6 more
colinbm Senior Member • Posts: 1,219

I hope it is retro firmware for SD15 too
Col

brittonx
brittonx Senior Member • Posts: 2,445

This is the kund of thing I was hoping for... That Sigma put enough processing power in the SD1 that they could add features. I wonder if video would be too far behind...
--
--Britton
http://photo.brittonrobbins.com/

brittonx's gear list:brittonx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sony a6300 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +6 more
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,587

Scott Greiff wrote:

Sigma held an event in Japan today at the Meiji Jingu Cultural Center where they had three photographers show off their work in Okinawa. They had some cameras there for people to try out as well as a few people there with their own SD1s.

What was interesting about this post was the part where Maro posted some answers to some of his questions.

Maro asked if Live View was possible on the SD1 without a hardware change. He was told that indeed, the SD1 could do Live View without a change to the physical camera. Maro then went on to confirm this with the president of Sigma and he qualified it a bit more, "We can add the feature, however the hard part is to ensure that the camera operate in a stable manner with that addition. However, this is a high priority for us and we plan to take this on as soon as we finish working through some of the issues that we have pending right now. When and if we actually make this happen is up in the air at this point."

Later in the article Maro mentioned that Sigma is in the middle of developing a new sensor and that they are fully engaged and excited about the work they're doing with sensors and DSLRs.

That would be interesting indeed, to add Live View as a firmware update...

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
ToasterFlyer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,369

The high priority for Sigma should be getting the SD1 price down to earth!!! and then tethered shooting!!

Rich
ny

JW PHOTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,140

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

I'm sure there's somebody reading this right now that says it can't be done with just a firmware upgrade or the Sd14, SD15 and SD1 would already have it.

JW PHOTO's gear list:JW PHOTO's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Kodak EasyShare C875 Olympus C-3030 Zoom Sigma DP1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 +19 more
ToasterFlyer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,369

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Scott Greiff wrote:

I don't see anywhere in the OP where it reads "Live View can be added with a firmware update".....

Rich
ny

maple Veteran Member • Posts: 3,365

Agreed. That's high priority.
--
Maple

fred_rdt Forum Member • Posts: 53

I don't see anywhere in the OP where it reads "Live View can be added with a firmware update".....

Rich

Exactly that has been quoted by Scott:

"Maro asked if Live View was possible on the SD1 without a hardware change. He was told that indeed, the SD1 could do Live View without a change to the physical camera. Maro then went on to confirm this with the president of Sigma and he qualified it a bit more, "We can add the feature, ..."

Big question is if this is also possible for SD14 and SD15. Next question is if they will add tethering. This would be the next logical step.

fred_rdt's gear list:fred_rdt's gear list
Fujifilm 50-230mm II
colinbm Senior Member • Posts: 1,219

I look forwards to the day
Col

Scott Greiff wrote:

Later in the article Maro mentioned that Sigma is in the middle of developing a new sensor ...

@Scott:

Can you elaborate more on this?

The Bing translation says: "Continued development of new sensor will be several years away, but during it."

Google translation: "I will be a few years away, and that ongoing development of new sensors."

Question: Who or what will be a few years away? Maybe you can provide a better translation?

Fujifilm 50-230mm II
Nancy and Pete Spader Senior Member • Posts: 2,050
Good news

I had been concerned there may have been a heat problem and the statement they can do it in the present body is encouraging indeed. There is no statement about what it will take, however, so we will have to wait.

I am not surprised they are working on the "issues" we have seen with the SPP5 and SD1. This is a whole new generation of sensor and body.

Nor am I surprised that they are working on a new sensor. Sigma has always indicated they are committed to the long term development of the Foveon/Sigma camera. Yes, the SD1 MSRP price has caused problems, but people who use it to predict Sigma's demise are as wrong as those who claimed the SD9 would never appear, etc.

In the meantime, shoot with what you have, and share what you like!

Pete

Re: Good news

Nancy and Pete Spader wrote:

I had been concerned there may have been a heat problem ...

Where do you read that there isn't?

I think it's funny how everybody jumps to conclusions based on a hardly decipherable Google translation of an inofficial Japanese report of an informal meeting.

We should keep in mind that Sigma initially announced the SD-1 at a price comparable to Canon 7D. I would be happy if their highest priority would be to fix this problem first.

Fujifilm 50-230mm II
RKGoth Senior Member • Posts: 1,141

Scott Greiff wrote:

Maro asked if Live View was possible on the SD1 without a hardware change. He was told that indeed, the SD1 could do Live View without a change to the physical camera. Maro then went on to confirm this with the president of Sigma and he qualified it a bit more, "We can add the feature, however the hard part is to ensure that the camera operate in a stable manner with that addition.

I said this the instant they switched to the mirror/shutter mechanism with lock up. It's been on the cards for ages, as naturally the DP series uses it - I was amazed the SD15 didn't get it.

-- hide signature --

GeekGoth, Writer
http://www.geextreme.com/
P30/Nikon/Sigma/Olympus/Fuji
Music, cars (Citroën mostly), computing, media

RKGoth's gear list:RKGoth's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +34 more
ChromeLight Senior Member • Posts: 2,675
Re: Good news

Good. At least with live view you'll know if a soft image is because you were out of focus or due to a poor Sigma lens.

Nancy and Pete Spader wrote:

I had been concerned there may have been a heat problem and the statement they can do it in the present body is encouraging indeed. There is no statement about what it will take, however, so we will have to wait.

I am not surprised they are working on the "issues" we have seen with the SPP5 and SD1. This is a whole new generation of sensor and body.

Nor am I surprised that they are working on a new sensor. Sigma has always indicated they are committed to the long term development of the Foveon/Sigma camera. Yes, the SD1 MSRP price has caused problems, but people who use it to predict Sigma's demise are as wrong as those who claimed the SD9 would never appear, etc.

In the meantime, shoot with what you have, and share what you like!

Pete

Scott Greiff
OP Scott Greiff Senior Member • Posts: 1,701

fred_rdt wrote:

Rich

Exactly that has been quoted by Scott:

"Maro asked if Live View was possible on the SD1 without a hardware change. He was told that indeed, the SD1 could do Live View without a change to the physical camera. Maro then went on to confirm this with the president of Sigma and he qualified it a bit more, "We can add the feature, ..."

Big question is if this is also possible for SD14 and SD15. Next question is if they will add tethering. This would be the next logical step.

Speaking of tethering, I totally missed the mention that tethering is also a possibility (with merely a firmware update).

-Scott

Panasonic S1 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro
Scott Greiff
OP Scott Greiff Senior Member • Posts: 1,701

fred_rdt wrote:

Scott Greiff wrote:

Later in the article Maro mentioned that Sigma is in the middle of developing a new sensor ...

@Scott:

Can you elaborate more on this?

The Bing translation says: "Continued development of new sensor will be several years away, but during it."

Google translation: "I will be a few years away, and that ongoing development of new sensors."

Question: Who or what will be a few years away? Maybe you can provide a better translation?

One of the reasons Google and Bing do such a horrible job with translating Japanese is the ambiguity around the literal aspects of the language. Much has to be surmised through context. Those who have lived there know what I'm talking about.

As far as the "few years away" part, this is Kazunori's conjecture that we won't see a new sensor for a few years. There is no indication that a new sensor is actually years away.

-Scott

maple Veteran Member • Posts: 3,365

Scott Greiff wrote:

Now I wonder what that new sensor is like. A FF of 15mp? or a m4/3 of 8mp? I guess the latter has a better chance to get the price down to where many of us would find it worth it.

-- hide signature --

Maple

michaeli Regular Member • Posts: 226
Good news, thanks for sharing!
 michaeli's gear list:michaeli's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD14 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads