D7000 - why I won't be getting one

Started Jul 15, 2011 | Discussions
Alan Sh Senior Member • Posts: 2,038
D7000 - why I won't be getting one

I'm looking for a second camera to supplement my 50D (3 years old and still gives me great pics). So, looking around for something similar but which also does video (why not, seems a nice addition).

A friend has a D7000 which I borrowed. It's a nice camera with loads of adjustment to play with.

BUT......

I use my left eye to see with - which means my nose just touches the 4 way controller and shifts the focus point, just when I don't want to.

So, I either get a nose job or I don't get a D7000. The choice is clear :)))

Alan

Alan Sh's gear list:Alan Sh's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS M100 +13 more
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,772
Agree its TOO NARROW

I know what you mean, I too shoot with my left eyes and find Nikon D7000 to narrowed. Making it worst is the 3" LCD that is position smack in the CENTER. Where as 60d is both Wider, and its 3" LCD is shifted to the LEFT of the camera. Another strike against D7000 is interfaced and annoying Buttons. I find Nikon's left command dial with S / CL / CH switch very very annoying

Otherwise, it is a very nice camera.

Stakeouttoo
Stakeouttoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,008
Re: D7000 - why I won't be getting one

trying to choose between the d7000 and the 60d to upgrade from an Xsi

the 60d has for me two things are are more annoying than the aforementioned d7000 'faults' for left eyed shooters... I'm strong right eye....

the silly.. I use this term loosely as it is really a potential PITA.... 'lock button' on the mode wheel and the swivel LCD screen.. not needed on both... the d7000 has the benefits of dual SD card slot... doesn't feel as 'plasticky' while holding it as does the 60d.. and has the ability to use a GPS accessory from Nikon .. we travel a lot

the bad points for me on the would-be switch over to Nikon and the d7000... as a long time Canon fan and user the 'different' and diverse menus the d7000 has takes on a new and different learning curve for me

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 15,413
Funny...

Stakeouttoo wrote:

trying to choose between the d7000 and the 60d to upgrade from an Xsi

the 60d has for me two things are are more annoying than the aforementioned d7000 'faults' for left eyed shooters... I'm strong right eye....

the silly.. I use this term loosely as it is really a potential PITA.... 'lock button' on the mode wheel and the swivel LCD screen.. not needed on both... the d7000 has the benefits of dual SD card slot... doesn't feel as 'plasticky' while holding it as does the 60d.. and has the ability to use a GPS accessory from Nikon .. we travel a lot

Hmm... so what is the problem with the screen to have the ability to swivel? It does not do it on its own.....

I never use bulb mode. Should I dismiss my camera because it offers it?

And anyway... once you have used/needed the swivel screen, you won't want a camera without anymore. just one of those features that come in handy AT TIMES. Like mirror lock up, live view, AI-servo and so on.

About the lock on the mode dial... Try a D7000. It has WAY more PITA points to its dials and buttons (let alone the menu)...

the bad points for me on the would-be switch over to Nikon and the d7000... as a long time Canon fan and user the 'different' and diverse menus the d7000 has takes on a new and different learning curve for me

Kelly M Jones Contributing Member • Posts: 718

I have both a 60D and D7000. I'll be using both for a while before I decide on sticking with a particular brand. Here's my list of things that are important to me for each camera system. The things you consider important may be different than mine. These are the things I've run into while using each camera.

Canon 60D

• Lock on settings dial. This is a good thing for me compared to the D7000.

• Better location of DOF button. On the D7000 it's easy to accidently push it while holding the lens.

• Better out of camera jpegs.

• Slightly faster feel of autofocusing, but less flexible and configurable.

• More noise at high ISO but maybe better detail.

• Dedicated ISO adjustment button.

• Slightly smarter auto ISO but less flexible than D7000.

• Menus are organized better

• The one dial of the 60D is easier to adjust with my middle finger while keeping my forefinger on the shutter release button

Nikon D7000

• Easy to switch settings. U1 and U2.

• Easier zoom after shot preview.

• Dual memory cards.

• Slightly less noise at high ISO.

• Very low noise at low ISO. Painless to bring up shadows or underexposure.

• More flexible auto ISO.

• Shutter release is smoother.

• Two adjustment dials, front and back

• Easier to adjust the focus points and more flexible focus point selection.

• Focus fine tuning

Good luck and good shooting!

-Kelly

XVOYAGERX
XVOYAGERX Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

the canon eos 60d is a far superior camera than the nikon d7000 period. just look at the d7000's buffer, its crap, useless for bif.

XVOYAGERX's gear list:XVOYAGERX's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic GH5 +1 more
Lynn David Cole
Lynn David Cole Regular Member • Posts: 388
You've just discovered...

...Nikon's new "Nose Control" feature.
--
Lynn David Cole

http://LynnDavidCole.com

Arkanor Forum Member • Posts: 99

XVOYAGERX wrote:

the canon eos 60d is a far superior camera than the nikon d7000 period. just look at the d7000's buffer, its crap, useless for bif.

The D7000 has the edge in a lot of things. The newer Sony sensor is a cut above the 60D, it has the screw-drive, and better AF setup. Also has the ability to correct CA/Distortion in the camera itself automatically.

The 60D when I got it was $200 cheaper (refurb its available for 950 with 18-135), I liked the EF lens line (and the prices compared to NIKKOR), the menus are also set up better IMO, and it does a great job removing chrominance noise from a shot in-camera. Also, variangle screen hinged on the LEFT side of the camera.

Arkanor's gear list:Arkanor's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD
schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768

Arkanor wrote:

XVOYAGERX wrote:

The D7000 has the edge in a lot of things. The newer Sony sensor is a cut above the 60D, it has the screw-drive, and better AF setup. Also has the ability to correct CA/Distortion in the camera itself automatically.

These two things are mutually exclusive though - if you want to correct CA in camera, you'll loose almost all the advantages the Sony sensor brings

And, of course, the screw-drive is not really an advantage at all - it just brings the D7000 level with the 60D

OP Alan Sh Senior Member • Posts: 2,038

Well as it happens, I have just got a 7D, so comparison with the 60D features don't really matter.

And, having got my 7D, I am not that bothered how much better (or worse) it is thatn a D7000. I've made my choice.

But the conversations are interesting (if a little emotive at times).

cheers

Alan

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS M100 +13 more
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 13,477

Alan Sh wrote:

Well as it happens, I have just got a 7D, so comparison with the 60D features don't really matter.

And, having got my 7D, I am not that bothered how much better (or worse) it is thatn a D7000. I've made my choice.

But the conversations are interesting (if a little emotive at times).

Congrats and welcome to the forum. The 7D is an excellent camera and IMO opinion a great choice but I'm a bit biased as I've been shooting with one for well over a year now. Let us know if you have any issues to sort out as for some it can be a bit overwhelming at first.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +8 more
OP Alan Sh Senior Member • Posts: 2,038

Cheers Bob,

I've actually been a (quiet) member of the forum for ages and I've had Canon xxD cameras since the 20D came out. But the 7D is certainly a step up and I have already got questions framed elsewhere.

Alan

MI6gunny Contributing Member • Posts: 518

What do you mean? I only get 15 shots in a buffer with a 16gb class 10 card loaded into a 60D?
--
D. Fortune

MI6gunny's gear list:MI6gunny's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Nikon D5000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads