is the original gorillapod enough for nex5?

Started Jul 10, 2011 | Discussions
WiZARDka Forum Member • Posts: 59
is the original gorillapod enough for nex5?

Can it hold it stable with 18-55 or 16mm lens?
Or should i buy the more expensive slr version?(i dont want )

JasonGood Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: is the original gorillapod enough for nex5?

I asked this very question at a local camera shop yesterday. Apparently the original model is designed for compact digicams. Checking out the weights online afterwards it looks like the Gorillapod SLR is needed, but this will cope with the 18-55.

Which is a shame because the original is a lot cheaper and was £5 off at the shop I was in, which was why I was asking!

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 14,310

WiZARDka wrote:

Can it hold it stable with 18-55 or 16mm lens?
Or should i buy the more expensive slr version?(i dont want )

NONE of the gorilla pods are worth buying. The ball mechanism in the legs loosens over time and quickly becomes unsuitable to support anything. My gorilla pod (large one) is at the point of almost falling apart.

Now I use one of these...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/603419-REG/Sunpak_FLEXGRIPBKGY_FlexPod_Gripper_Flexible_Mini_Tripod.html

Very stiff and has now outlasted my gorilla pod.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +50 more
Sohoza New Member • Posts: 13

GodSpeaks wrote:

My gorilla pod (large one) is at the point of almost falling apart.

Just so you know, if the loose joints are caused by hairline cracks (this usually seems to be the case), Joby is pretty good about replacing them. All I did was email a photo of one of the cracks (they don't ask for a receipt or that you ship the loose one back) and they shipped me a brand new one the following week. From what I've read, they will do this more than once if the replacement cracks as well.

SparkleHedgehog
SparkleHedgehog Senior Member • Posts: 2,119

It definitely wont hold the sel18200 lens, you need an slr version for that

SparkleHedgehog's gear list:SparkleHedgehog's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony a7R II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads