Have i got a lemon????????

Started Jul 10, 2011 | Discussions
JCH88 Forum Member • Posts: 58
Have i got a lemon????????

After spending some time in Italy a week ago with my HX100 iv gone over my photos to see the sharpness and quality isn't as good as i kind of hoped. Iv been following a alot of forums and seeing other users pictures and have noticed the sharpness and clarity of there pictures are far Superior to mine. Now im using these settings
P-MODE
NDF - OFF
center focus
shrpness - high
noise reduction - Low
colour mode - standard or vivid
saturation - standard
contrast - high

Is it me or am i missing something?

Now have i got a lemon or am i hopeing for too much?

Thank you
Jason

aaanouel
aaanouel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,107
Re: Have i got a lemon????????

I tend to think you got a lemon... but in your head!
What else did you expect?

Eventually, may be some depth of field very little blur effect (and only on the last two shots: center focus on landscape shots?) but nothing else.

I don't know how are they at original size but, to my eyes and at this size I see them very good.
Beautiful site, excellent shots.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

Truth is a pathless land. The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Jiddu Krishnamurti

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Macist Forum Member • Posts: 79

I have to agree with aaanouel.

What exactly seems to be the problem?

aaanouel wrote:

What else did you expect?

Eventually, may be some depth of field very little blur effect (and only on the last two shots: center focus on landscape shots?) but nothing else.

I don't know how are they at original size but, to my eyes and at this size I see them very good.

bruckshaw1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

When comparing your images with those posted by others remember that the others may have done significant PP on their pics before posting although some will not admit it. Why??

I am on my second HX100. The first one was definitely a lemon and that made me very critical about the replacement unit and I sent it back for checking. They said it was OK and I think that I now agree with them.

I need to learn how to use it properly.

Eric

bruckshaw1's gear list:bruckshaw1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
aaanouel
aaanouel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,107

That's it, bruckshaw1.

Actually, Quality Controls applied along the whole and each manufacturing process, and centered on user's satisfactions, gives a very, very little chance to lemons.

In gadgets like this one, there are many operation details to be correctly managed, all at the same time, that newly users have to, learn how, practice a lot and get used to it to get the excellent result we'd like to see before blaming the gadget.

Anyway, as previously posted, you can not expect to get the same results from a $20,000+ Hasselblad or SRL with a big sensor and such a 27/810mm lens, than from a only $400 but power and wonderful little HX100V.

HX100V worths each penny we've paid for it and a lot much more and there are enough User's Modes to every tastes, from totally Manual to Auto i+ Mode, the lower level you set it, the complex it becomes, it's up to user.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

Truth is a pathless land. The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Jiddu Krishnamurti

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
HX100V_SN-501251
HX100V_SN-501251 Contributing Member • Posts: 557

JCH88 wrote:

P-MODE
NDF - OFF
center focus
shrpness - high
noise reduction - Low
colour mode - standard or vivid
saturation - standard
contrast - high

Firstly ..... you have nice composition and the images display well here, so that's 90% of the battle.

Some of your settings, both individually and collectively, will contribute to noise and artifacts in the image, particularly at 100% crop.

Specifically,

sharpness - high
noise reduction - Low
contrast - high

Those three in combination will drive a "Pixel Peeper" nuts particularly at anything past about 70% crop.

It all depends on what you are going for really. The bottom line is you have interesting and very viewable images.

HX100V_SN-501251's gear list:HX100V_SN-501251's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX +2 more
thubleau3 Contributing Member • Posts: 517
No, you have a Souffle with Cointreau

Suck it up

Tom Hoots
Tom Hoots Veteran Member • Posts: 6,073

Jason,

Here is what I think about your settings:

P-MODE - OK
NDF - OFF - I'm not so sure about turning this off
Center focus - OK
Sharpness - high - I don't see the need
Noise reduction - Low - I disagree 100% with doing this
Colour mode - standard or vivid - Standard works for me
Saturation - standard - Standard works for me
Contrast - high - I don't agree with this

I thought that my results with noise reduction at "low" looked AWFUL. I'll never try that again.

I've also tried contrast on "high," but I don't prefer that look. I prefer "standard" contrast.

Really, I've been happiest with all of the color and image parameters at "standard."

I don't see anything too awful with your images -- those were some challenging situations. For instance, with the dark water and the lighter skies, cranking up the contrast is making things more difficult, I'd think. And I'd agree with other folks that turning down the noise reduction (thus increasing noise) and turning up the sharpness (thus making the noise even more noticeable) is just counter-productive.

As for post-processing, I'll usually do an auto-levels check, and then either fine-tune it or discard it altogether, and I always use a wee bit of unsharp mask after resizing an image downward. But that's usually all I do, unless I also crop the image a bit.

In the end, I'd say, "good luck, and keep shooting!"

Tom Hoots
http://thoots.zenfolio.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhoots/
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

dalemccl Contributing Member • Posts: 526

Tom, if I could jump in for a moment, what are your thoughts behind this? I thought many people here were unhappy that they couldn't turn noise reduction completely off because it introduces the water color effect in many shots. You said you got better shots when you set it to a higher setting. Does it depend on the type of scene (for example, whether there is grass or other fine detail in the scene? (Grass seems to turn to water color more often than many other subjects - but I am basing that observation mostly on my HX5V. I haven't used the HX100V enough to judge yet.)

Based on what you found, I'm going to change my HX100V noise reduction from low to Std and see what affect it has.

dalemccl's gear list:dalemccl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +8 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,797

dalemccl wrote:

Tom, if I could jump in for a moment, what are your thoughts behind this? I thought many people here were unhappy that they couldn't turn noise reduction completely off because it introduces the water color effect in many shots. You said you got better shots when you set it to a higher setting. Does it depend on the type of scene (for example, whether there is grass or other fine detail in the scene? (Grass seems to turn to water color more often than many other subjects - but I am basing that observation mostly on my HX5V. I haven't used the HX100V enough to judge yet.)

Based on what you found, I'm going to change my HX100V noise reduction from low to Std and see what affect it has.

I have mine on sTD, it works really well, for me anyway

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +10 more
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,650
NR Setting on HX100V

I experimented with the noise-reduction setting on my Sony HX1 and finally found that I needed to put it on the middle or normal position. However, my HX100V shoots cleaner photos and I don't need as much NR, so I set it to the low position.

I think the overall quality and definition of details is better with that setting.
-
Steve McDonald
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22121562@N00/
http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads