Is there any difference between these two Canon models ?

Started Jul 8, 2011 | Discussions
Proshooter73 New Member • Posts: 6
Is there any difference between these two Canon models ?

Does anyone have an idea what are the differences between these two models :

Canon Powershot A3350 IS (not yet reviewed or mentioned on dpreview website)
Canon Powershot A3300 IS

Obviously both are of the same family (announced 2011 , 16.1 MPX , 28-140, 5x and so on). However, I can't find on the web, and I've been searching for some time now, anything that might pore some light on this issue. Not even in the Canon official website.
If it's exactly the same camera - why the separate models ???
Help please....Anyone ?

Pedagydusz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,637
Re: Is there any difference between these two Canon models ?

Are you sure that a 3350 even exists? I couldn't find any reference in the dpreview database.

But this is not the best place to ask: the Canon Talk forum is likely to bring more answers.
--
Antonio

http://ferrer.smugmug.com/

Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +3 more
Johan Borg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,112

Proshooter73 wrote:

I would guess there is a minor difference somewhere (can you get a pink 3350 or a black 3300?), but one of the reasons for the wide model ranges of electronics is to allow a few major store chains to offer price guarantees by having a different model number from their direct competitors...

Johan Borg's gear list:Johan Borg's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma fp Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN
OP Proshooter73 New Member • Posts: 6

Yes, I can assure you it does exist (I have one right in front of me as I'm writing)

Even the user's manual attached to it lists both cameras as part of the A series...

I'm not sure but I'm beginning to suspect the only difference is that the 3350 comes in black while the 3300 has 3 or four colours, except black...

Yet, it does not seem a reason good enough for naming it as if it were a different model, does it ? There must be something else.

Deleted1929 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,050

Canon and many other manufacturers have an annoying habit of using different model numbers and names in different regions. It could be that.

I've yet to figure out why so called global companies feel they need different model numbers ( not names, just numbers ! ) if different places. Pretty dumb management IMO.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Thak you sjgcit,

However, this is not the case here as these are definitely 2 different models and not two names given to same one (e.g. IXUS vs. Elph). I'm pretty sure both of them are sold in the same areas too.

It would be sad if we found out the only difference between the two is the color...

bugeyed
bugeyed Senior Member • Posts: 1,366

The only references I see to the A3350 are in Europe & A3300 are US.
Canon USA lists A3300IS & Canon Europe lists 3350IS.

-- hide signature --

'It ain't what they call you that's important, It's what you answer to!'

Thank you bugeyed,
It is not the case. As you can see here :

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_Compact/Powershot_A_series/index.aspx

both cameras are listed in the european site though specs relate only to the A3300 (which was probably released earlier).

Still hoping to get an answr on that...

bugeyed
bugeyed Senior Member • Posts: 1,366

The A3350IS does not show up on the Canon USA site. Only the A3300IS in Red, Black, Blue, Silver & Pink.

Canon Europe does not list the A3350 in their product list, but do list the A3300 in all colors except black! Weird!

-- hide signature --

'It ain't what they call you that's important, It's what you answer to!'

tallett New Member • Posts: 3

Johan Borg wrote:

Proshooter73 wrote:

I would guess there is a minor difference somewhere (can you get a pink 3350 or a black 3300?), but one of the reasons for the wide model ranges of electronics is to allow a few major store chains to offer price guarantees by having a different model number from their direct competitors...

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Here in the UK at least, Jessops stock the a3300 in colours other than black whereas Currys have the a3500 in black only, and are advertising it as an "exclusive" model.

Looking at the user manual (which I found on the Canon website here: http://files.canon-europe.com/files/soft40449/Manual/CUG_PSA2200_3300is_3350is_3200is_EN.pdf ) the same manual covers both and so far I've not spotted any differences between the two. In particular in the manual, there's a statement on page 9 that explains that the "A3300IS" icon used in the manual means "functions and precautions for the PowerShot A3300 and A3350 IS only". There seems to be no separate "A3350 only" icon suggesting no differences in features.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads