Jupiter 8 vintage lens on Micro Four Thirds review

Started Jul 6, 2011 | Discussions
nico-foto
nico-foto Regular Member • Posts: 165
Jupiter 8 vintage lens on Micro Four Thirds review

Hi all,

I just published a review on using the former soviet union (FSU) Jupiter 8 lens on Panasonic GF1 (or, in general all Micro Four Thirds cameras). If you don't know it, its a 50mm f/2 lens for M39 rangefinders (such as zorkis, feds and even leicas), easily found on the bay - it becomes a fastish medium tele lens on m43 cameras. I hope you find it interesting.

I'd love to hear your feedback.

http://www.nico-foto.com/jupiter-8-on-micro-four-thirds-review/

Kind regards,
Nico.
--
http://www.nico-foto.com

fermy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,168
Re: Jupiter 8 vintage lens on Micro Four Thirds review

Lovely photos. Before/after is very educational. To be honest, based on it, the lens looks like total trash, but your processing makes up for that. What adjustment did you make to bring it up to that level? Did you adjust only black point, contrast and clarity, or other settings as well?

nico-foto
OP nico-foto Regular Member • Posts: 165

Hey, i'm really glad you liked the review!

To be honest, when I first got the Jupiter 8 i did some test shots, looked at the results and frankly, i couldn't stand the low contrast - at the time I though it was not worth trying to fix the pics in PP. As you see, the ooc frame looks totally washed out, almost hazy.

Then, one day I went back to those shots, and for no particular reason, started working on them in Lightroom. Then I was like "wow, now we're talking". Basically I tuned the black point, the contrast, brightness and applied an "s" tone curve to get rid of the washed out look and get a punchier look.

I'm still a bit worried about the amount of black point tuning, above 20 I believe...I don't generally move that slider past 2! But then again, its the results what matter, and I would say the pics turned out pretty nicely, maybe the shadows don't have that much detail because of the strong pp, but in the end the rendering is lovely, the lens has character, and there's no other way to get pics that look like that. I love FSU lenses, they may not be technically great, but there's some beautiful magic going on them.

Thanks for your feedback.

Next up will be a Kern Switar 25mm 1.4 C-Mount Cine lens review. That will be challenging!

-- hide signature --
fermy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,168

nico-foto wrote:

I'm still a bit worried about the amount of black point tuning, above 20 I believe...I don't generally move that slider past 2! But then again, its the results what matter, and I would say the pics turned out pretty nicely, maybe the shadows don't have that much detail because of the strong pp, but in the end the rendering is lovely, the lens has character, and there's no other way to get pics that look like that. I love FSU lenses, they may not be technically great, but there's some beautiful magic going on them.

Hey, who needs them, shadows. It's the result that matters. Not sure though about no other way to get the results like that, especially since quite heavy PP was involved.

Here's Canon FD 50mm f1.4 picture, I think there are some similarities in rendering.

This particular one was a result of mistake. The stop down ring on my FD adapter slipped, leaving the lens wide open in bright sun. E-PL1 maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 kicked in, resulting in over exposure and really low contrast image. I thought about deleting it, but then brought up contrast and black point and applied Daguerreotype filter to soften it.

Next up will be a Kern Switar 25mm 1.4 C-Mount Cine lens review. That will be challenging!

Keep up the good work. I will be looking forward to that review.

BigBarney Senior Member • Posts: 2,722
90 degree problem?

nico-foto wrote:

Hi all,

I just published a review on using the former soviet union (FSU) Jupiter 8 lens on Panasonic GF1 (or, in general all Micro Four Thirds cameras). If you don't know it, its a 50mm f/2 lens for M39 rangefinders (such as zorkis, feds and even leicas), easily found on the bay - it becomes a fastish medium tele lens on m43 cameras. I hope you find it interesting.

Nico, thanks for an interesting review. You did not say which M39 to m43 adapter you are using. Could it be a poorly finished adapter that is responsible for the focus and aperture scales being displaced by 90 degrees from where you would like to see them? My Novoflex M42 to m43 adapter puts these scales on top of the lens where I expect to see them. Yes, it is not the cheapest model out there but sometimes you get what you pay for.

phrenicthenub Regular Member • Posts: 109

Very nice! Not particularly impressed by the lens..the untouched images are pretty bad, but you make it work.

Pretty looking lens on the gf-1 I must say.
--
-Trevor

phrenicthenub's gear list:phrenicthenub's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +1 more
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 24,115
Re: 90 degree problem?

BigBarney wrote:

nico-foto wrote:

Hi all,

Nico, thanks for an interesting review. You did not say which M39 to m43 adapter you are using. Could it be a poorly finished adapter that is responsible for the focus and aperture scales being displaced by 90 degrees from where you would like to see them? My Novoflex M42 to m43 adapter puts these scales on top of the lens where I expect to see them. Yes, it is not the cheapest model out there but sometimes you get what you pay for.

My cheap (fotodiox) M39-u 4/3 adapter also did not register the focus scale of my m 39 lenses (Canon and Industar) correctly. Loosening three radial set screws on the adapter, turning the lens and retightenting them solved the porblem.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
pka Senior Member • Posts: 1,815

Great job!

-- hide signature --
 pka's gear list:pka's gear list
Olympus E-100 RS Olympus TG-860 Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
nico-foto

Fermy:

Thanks for sharing that shot! It indeed seems to share a bit of the "glow" that I fancy in my Jupiter 8, but to my eyes at least, the bokeh is quite different. I'm already working on the Kern Switar Review...:)

Trevor:

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you found the review useful.

Big Barney:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I added info on where I got the lens and adapter from, just in case that helps anyone out there.

Tedolph:

Thanks to your suggestion, I could fix the problem with the focus and aperture scales. Now i'm a happy camper! Updated the post with a thank you, btw

Pka:
Thanks for sharing that gallery. Not very good for GAS, lol!

-- hide signature --
nico-foto

pka wrote:

Great job!

Hey, what are your opinions on the Elmar and the Jupiter 9? I would think manually focusing the Jupiter 9 without IBIS (I have a GF1) would be very difficult...i can't even think of that with the Jupiter 11 at 270mm equivalent FL!

The black J-8 goes really well with your camera!
--

mh2000 Senior Member • Posts: 2,813

Early FED cameras etc. were clocked differently from standard Leica cameras, this lens was probably modified for use on one of these...

BigBarney wrote:

nico-foto wrote:

Hi all,

nico-foto

That might explain the issue with the adapter. In any case, following Tedolph's advice, i was able to fix it.
--

tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 24,115

nico-foto wrote:

That might explain the issue with the adapter. In any case, following Tedolph's advice, i was able to fix it.
--

See all you nay sayers?

I am good for something after all!

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Surefoot Contributing Member • Posts: 585

I have a J-9 too, i can focus it without too much trouble on my GF1, using the magnified view. It's dreamy soft at full aperture for portraits, and impressively sharp when closed down around f/5.6. It has a better contrast than its 50mm siblings, but really likes having a hood since it flares easily. Overall a suprising lens, in a good way.

Surefoot's gear list:Surefoot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
nico-foto

Well, i agree with you, manually focusing with the GF1 is possible, its only that I have the gut feeling that having an EVF allows for a more "confident" and probably faster focusing. In my experience, judging critical focus with the GF1 LCD (even at max magnification) is not an "exact science", particularly under bright sun.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads