Canon goes mirrorless- product to be launched next year! what do you think?

Started Jul 5, 2011 | Discussions
jj74e Senior Member • Posts: 1,633
Canon goes mirrorless- product to be launched next year! what do you think?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

I honestly think they're launching way too late. Not only will they need time to build up lenses, but other companies will have continued to progress with more user support, product development and lens/accessory options. I don't think they can rely just on brand name for this.

fransams Regular Member • Posts: 180
Re: Canon goes mirrorless- product to be launched next year! what do you think?

jj74e wrote:

I honestly think they're launching way too late. Not only will they need time to build up lenses, but other companies will have continued to progress with more user support, product development and lens/accessory options. I don't think they can rely just on brand name for this.

´Next year´ is almost a million miles away.

Compare it to your car dealer. You visit him and you tell him you want something more compact with the same quality and comfort. Then he tells you: 'You better come back sometime next year. We might be working on it.'

rpm40
rpm40 Senior Member • Posts: 2,351

I agree, at the rate mirrorless is progressing, m4/3 will be even more established- just look what they have managed in the past 2 years. Add a few more bodies, lenses and accessories to the collection by then, and I think you're starting to see a fairly mature system. That might be very difficult for Canon to overcome, at least without substantial time and expense.

Kschles Forum Member • Posts: 80

Agree with you. Reminds me of all the "Ipad Killer" tablets that are rumored to launch or have launched and gotten middling reviews (speculation that they were rushed). Panasonic and Olympus are going into their 3rd revisions (and I'm sure a 4th is not too far behind). Canon would have to really wow everyone to get some meaningful attention, and I'm not sure that's possible.
--
Ken S

Kschles's gear list:Kschles's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +3 more
mh2000 Senior Member • Posts: 2,813

yeah, but everyone buying whatever this year will be buying again next year and Canon certainly has the assets to come out with a game changing system... we'll have to see...

fransams wrote:

jj74e wrote:

´Next year´ is almost a million miles away.

Compare it to your car dealer. You visit him and you tell him you want something more compact with the same quality and comfort. Then he tells you: 'You better come back sometime next year. We might be working on it.'

SamKnopf Regular Member • Posts: 405
Canon tends to dumb things down

As a long-time Canon user, I am skeptical about the prospect of Canon bringing out something I would like compared to Panasonic's offerings.

Panasonic has made a line of well designed cameras with decent quality at a moderate price. Canon goes in for vicious market segmentation, giving you shoddy quality with mass market appeal at a reasonable price, or really good stuff at very high prices.

Just compare their standard 18-55 kit lens (rotating front, no hood, mediocre optical quality) to the Panasonic 14-45 or even the 14-42.

SamKnopf's gear list:SamKnopf's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
ennemkay Senior Member • Posts: 1,293

good news. competition means more price pressure and more innovation pressure.

ennemkay's gear list:ennemkay's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony RX100
leafinsectman Contributing Member • Posts: 763

I hope this means that Olympus and Panasonic puts in a lot more effort into Micro Four Thirds. Canon is a major force so they gotta kick it up a notch if they wanna counter whatever Canon does.

-- hide signature --
photocine Regular Member • Posts: 193

Don't dismiss Canon. They are a devious bunch. And know how to make money.

Surely, they will use their current advantage in the DSLR market and leverage it.
--
photo + video = photocine

Peter Nelson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,890
I have been saying this since 2006

I predicted a Leica like Canon Digital Rangefinder way back in 2006 and again and again. As you all know a rangedinder camera is mirrorless and is an ILC. They have shutters as well.

I think Canon will provide a FF 24mp optical and EVF, as well as live vire rear LCD. This will intantly put Canon at the Top of the Heap of affordable mirrorless cameras, less pricey than the Leica M9.
Perhaps simultaneously Canon will provide a 1.6 crop sensored model.

It's the lenses that will make or break the system. I'm talking aboutthe actual physical size. If you remember Canon made screw mount lenses for thier 35mm film rangefinders and they were comperable in size to the Leica screw mount lenses, meaning they will be much smaller than the EOS lenses.

If Canon does this the will remain on top. Like I said as far back as 2006 I was writting all of this here at dpr, over at the Canon talk forums.

Just imagine a small FF digital mirrorless camera with small high quality lenses. The FF models may even be small enough to fit into a pocket, but I'm very sure the crop sensored models will definetluy fit into yours and my pockets with a lens mounted. This is all we need. These are the newest and most technological cameras yet. I'd say the prices will be along the same lines as the Canon DSLR products, with multiple models just like the DSLR line up. Also they will make every effort to provide as fast as they can a full lens line up in primes and zooms. That would be from WA to Tele lenses. The only question I have is how well will Canon intregate the Manual Fucus functions with these lenses. I say this because Canon will stay with the very popular AF type of lenses.

Lastly, for those who may not know it, it was dear old Leica that Invented the Auto Focus Lens system. They deemed their customer base would reject it and so Leica provided the AF System to Minalta who is as you should know produced the worlds first SLR AF Sytems. Thank's to Leica Germany.
-Peter
P.S. Finally an intellegent thread regarding Canon and Mirrorless cameras!
--
Life as an artist has had some unusual times to say the least.
visit my web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/artist_eyes/
Remember to click on 'All Sizes' for better viewing.
Artist Eyes

John Carson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,233
Wrong for the last 5 years then?

Peter Nelson wrote:

Just imagine a small FF digital mirrorless camera with small high quality lenses. The FF models may even be small enough to fit into a pocket, but I'm very sure the crop sensored models will definetluy fit into yours and my pockets with a lens mounted.

Sounds like pure fantasy to me. Given than Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung have not achieved this (except with big pockets and pancake primes), I see no reason to expect that Canon is currently in a position to do it. I see no reason to believe that Canon's system will be any smaller than that of Sony or Samsung.

-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
thx1138
thx1138 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,154

However Canon's resources are massively more than Oly's or Panasonic's. They would probably be able to launch with 4-5 lenses straight up. It would be naive to think they haven't been preparing a system for the last few years, ready to hit the road running. IMO they'll leap frog Sony in one hit, given their pitiful lens lineup.

Also if they did release with a competitive package, their branding itself would guarantee big sales.

Also I'm not sure they'd be releasing m4/3 or APS-C or either. They may choose a new format.

jj74e wrote:

Shahmatt Regular Member • Posts: 156

Indeed Canon is devious.

If they come up with an APS-C mirrorless body then I suppose the direct competition is Sony and Samsung.

Sony's NEX lens options has rendered it almost dead in the water.

I suppose only Samsung can offer up any resistance at all, given that the lens lineup is now good. I hope the NX20 turns out to be a cracker of a replacement camera.

-- hide signature --

Samsung NX10+30mm+18-55mm OIS, Fuji S6500FD

Brian Mosley Forum Pro • Posts: 20,707
I guess we should expect big things by 2016. ;) /nt
-- hide signature --

Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
PeterLeyssens Senior Member • Posts: 1,519
FF possible, Nikon aiming at 2.5x crop

Hi,

I expect Canon to deliver something different from what is already out there, because the playground is getting crowded. Here's what's available:

• Samsung: fairly big APS-C

• Sony: tiny APS-C

• Panasonic: fairly big 43 + medium 43

• Olympus: medium 43

• Pentax: tiny with a tiny sensor

There are only holes in the market going upward or downward. I don't expect Canon to produce anything with a small sensor. They're a marketing company, they thrive on Big Numbers Because Bigger Is Betterder. So I'd say a FF mirrorless is a possibility. Another tip is in the MirrorlessRumors post, where the exec says the camera would have many of the capabilities of an upmarket DSLR.

At the same time, Nikon would be working on a 2.5x crop mirrorless. And Leica would be working on a large sensor mirrorless, too. With a FF camera, Canon would only have Leica as a competitor, which is good news because Leica will position themselves really high up in the market anyway.

Of the three, Nikon will have to fight hardest. They will also have the problem of the initial lens offering: when I'm out shopping for a smaller camera and I see µ43 with a large choice and Nikon with a slightly smaller sensor and hardly any lenses, Nikon may not look so appealing. For Canon and Leica, it's less of an issue. If I'm going FF, I will wait until eventually the lenses appear. FF is a very specific choice because it's a very specific feature. A 2.5x crop sensor positions the Nikon rumoured camera straight into the middle of the battlefield.

Peter.

PeterLeyssens's gear list:PeterLeyssens's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
eddie_cam Contributing Member • Posts: 679

Canon - the hotbed of innovation ... yawn ...

PhillipA Veteran Member • Posts: 5,505
We keep hearing about a 2.5x Nikon ... but

.. just where would they get their sensors? Historically they have used Sony sensors, and Sony doen't have anything like a 2.5x crop sensor. I can't really see Sony making one just for a competitor's camera.
--

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,948
Really ?

SamKnopf wrote:

Panasonic has made a line of well designed cameras ...

REALLY ? well I don't see any that would qualify as well designed cameras , outside the entry level user, in my book
I guess to each his own

The good news is that Canon , being Canon , I feel confident that when they get into the segment of mirorless , it Won't be designed like a Panasonic
and that's a GOOD thing

Harold
--
http://www.harold-glit.com
http://www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II +22 more
Re: Really ?

Harold,

Harold66 wrote:

SamKnopf wrote:

Panasonic has made a line of well designed cameras ...

REALLY ? well I don't see any that would qualify as well designed cameras , outside the entry level user, in my book

I suspect that you don't remember the Panasonic LC-1 and L-1, both of which had a standard dial for shutter speed on the body and one for the aperture on the lens. Not entirely entry level user, in my book.

Peter.

Re: We keep hearing about a 2.5x Nikon ... but

Phillip,

PhillipA wrote:

.. just where would they get their sensors?

Good question. It also seems like delays are being followed by delays. Maybe they're planning to do a Pentax here: develop something, put it in the freezer for 5 years, then launch it (and still get boo-booed away).

Peter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads