Ricoh DSLR mockup

Started Jul 4, 2011 | Discussions
anthony mazzeri Senior Member • Posts: 2,078
Ricoh DSLR mockup

Not sure whether to have posted this in the Ricoh forum or this one as they haven't merged yet. Decided here because most of you will have this camera already, only the name and faces have been changed..

I just thought I'd try the logo and interface out for appearance, basically a Pentax lens now on a Ricoh body. Better get used to it, as the Roger Voudouris song goes! The black and gold of the Ricoh firmware actually matches the DA lens quite well I think.

(apologies to Matt Beardsley for retuching his photo)

Wallace Ross
Wallace Ross Senior Member • Posts: 2,170
That looks fine to me

Personally I hate advertising for companies just because I bought their product. I would just as soon have a completely black camera with no markings.
--
http://wkoopmans.ca/notebook/

kuuan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,663
Re: Ricoh DSLR mockup

more probable of future reality would have been a mock up of this camera:

substituting the Ricoh naming with Pentax
--
http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/andreasgriesmayr
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kuuan

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +1 more
OP anthony mazzeri Senior Member • Posts: 2,078

kuuan wrote:

substituting the Ricoh naming with Pentax

I predict they'll keep the Ricoh name and use the Optio brand instead = Ricoh Optio CX4.

tosiva Regular Member • Posts: 194

I don't think Ricoh would drop a 'brand' name like Pentax.

May PENTAX in bold letters and some where on the body, 'Ricoh' in smaller letters

That said, you should change 'K-5' to 'R-5' in your mock up

tosiva's gear list:tosiva's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70 Pentax HD DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW +1 more
Corros Forum Member • Posts: 91

Ricoh sounds good, but Pentax better!

tosiva wrote:

I don't think Ricoh would drop a 'brand' name like Pentax.

May PENTAX in bold letters and some where on the body, 'Ricoh' in smaller letters

I'd guess not both on the same camera. Likely use Pentax/Optio for their consumer range and use Ricoh/GR for their expensive range. Like BMW and Volkswagen I suppose or Fiat and Ferrari... Question is which does the DSLR fall under? The K-r is entry level, the K-5 is what, mid-level(?), so I'd guess maybe they'll stick with Pentax for the DSLRs as well so my mockup is wrong.

It's hard to predict as Ricoh originally had Caplio as their P&S range name, very similar to Optio, but they dropped it for just the model numeric, so it went from 'Ricoh Caplio R8' to just 'Ricoh R10'. Then on to CX* with no actual range name beyond that. So even going with Optio now will be reversing a trend for them.

I think their attempt with Caplio shows a longheld wish for an identifiable consumer range name like Coolpix or Cybershot etc for their P&S range, so that's where my thinking of them using the Optio name instead of Pentax comes from.

PS. Ricoh's original P&S range name before copying Pentax with the Caplio name was 'RDC'. Guess what that stands for. Very imaginative...

That said, you should change 'K-5' to 'R-5' in your mock up

I just assumed the camera K name referred to the mount?

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992

You may think I'm weird but I have no intentions of ever owning a Ricoh camera.

If the Pentax name changes, then I guess I will treasure whatever own and be content knowing I owned part of a legacy.

But something tells me Pentax isn't going anywhere.

Actually I don't know why no one mentioned this, but there is an official statement that both Ricoh and Hoya will use the Pentax name. And so I guess the brand name is no up for change.

http://www.ricoh.com/release/2011/0701_1.html

wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821

anthony mazzeri wrote:

Not sure whether to have posted this in the Ricoh forum or this one as they haven't merged yet. Decided here because most of you will have this camera already, only the name and faces have been changed..

I just thought I'd try the logo and interface out for appearance, basically a Pentax lens now on a Ricoh body. Better get used to it, as the Roger Voudouris song goes! The black and gold of the Ricoh firmware actually matches the DA lens quite well I think.

(apologies to Matt Beardsley for retuching his photo)

I got to tell ya, IMHO that is not funny at all.

As much as I love Pentax if that was to happen, I would chuck my Pentax gear in a New York minute and switch to Nikon.

It's not that I'm against Ricoh, I think the merger is a great thing and will bring new life into Pentax, I'm all for it.

It's just the fact I want the Pentax brand on my camera and not Ricoh !

I don't see that name change happening, but if it should happen .. I'm out a here !

wll

wll wrote:

I don't see that name change happening, but if it should happen .. I'm out a here !

It's not happening(never was): http://www.ricoh.com/release/2011/0701_1.html

Joe Ogiba
Joe Ogiba Veteran Member • Posts: 4,627

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/ricoh-to-buy-pentax-digital-brand/story-fn7j19iv-1226086660164

Ricoh paid for the Pentax brand so this is what the K-5 will look like under Ricoh:

Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Samsung NX1 Sony a6300 +1 more
andy amos Contributing Member • Posts: 685

Just as long as Ricoh don't do the same as Sony! Minolta-Konica had two ground breaking desirable cameras when they were bought by Sony. Several years on and the line-up has morphed into the usual Sony conundrum of unessential featured and mediocre core options with seeming more body styles than lenses?

tdwesbo
tdwesbo Senior Member • Posts: 2,109

andy amos wrote:

Just as long as Ricoh don't do the same as Sony! Minolta-Konica had two ground breaking desirable cameras when they were bought by Sony. Several years on and the line-up has morphed into the usual Sony conundrum of unessential featured and mediocre core options with seeming more body styles than lenses?

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I can't figure out which Sony bodies are which even on their website... I thought the A100, A200, A700 series was neat, but then they brought out a new body every week...

tdwesbo's gear list:tdwesbo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more

johnbee wrote:

I can safely bet the house on what will definitely change - say goodbye to 'Av' and 'Tv' modes. Ricoh is PASM all the way.

Tan68
Tan68 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,778

i can see this happening...

Av and Tv pleased me. i guess just because it seemed more old fashioned.. Time Value v. Shutter... kinda like not having a "scene mode" setting on the K20. the 40D has scene modes and i thought that was a bit cheesy for a camera in that class. irrational, i know. i imagine we will get scene modes now. oh, well :^)

on the other hand, TAv made sense... i wonder what they will call that now? AS, SA, A/S, S+A ??

and what happens to Sv... if we get rid of the "v" for "value", they can't call Sv just plain old S... maybe we will get to keep Av, Tv, Sv, TAv...

anthony mazzeri wrote:

johnbee wrote:

I can safely bet the house on what will definitely change - say goodbye to 'Av' and 'Tv' modes. Ricoh is PASM all the way.

Tan68's gear list:Tan68's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
Tan68
Tan68 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,778

i agree. sounds like they will keep Pentax. if the name had to change to Ricoh, i would rather that than Panasonic, Soy, or Samsung...

Corros wrote:

Ricoh sounds good, but Pentax better!

Tan68's gear list:Tan68's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
Success Regular Member • Posts: 218

anthony mazzeri wrote:

I'd guess not both on the same camera. Likely use Pentax/Optio for their consumer range and use Ricoh/GR for their expensive range. Like BMW and Volkswagen I suppose

Actually, there's no ownership connection between BMW and VW. Perhaps you were thinking of Audi and VW.

Success wrote:

anthony mazzeri wrote:

I'd guess not both on the same camera. Likely use Pentax/Optio for their consumer range and use Ricoh/GR for their expensive range. Like BMW and Volkswagen I suppose

Actually, there's no ownership connection between BMW and VW. Perhaps you were thinking of Audi and VW.

Thanks, I was definitely thinking BMW and VW, but I was definitely wrong. For some reason I always keep thinking they are connected, but they aren't, as you say.

jimrpdx
jimrpdx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,761

I think they should start with a clean slate and go for instant cred: "CANIKON"
--
Jim in Oregon.. granitix.blogspot.. Alpha & Pentax veteran, now shooting K-x

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-PL8 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads