HX9V is a keeper - Tour in Provence, France

Started Jun 28, 2011 | Discussions
BigCaplioFan Forum Member • Posts: 65
HX9V is a keeper - Tour in Provence, France

Have this little cam now since 10 days and spent a very nice time in Provence. The overall performance is very good. Especially i liked the combinatin of high quality video and decent picture quality. I came from a HX5V and like the new toy a lot more. My Canon 7D stayed in my bag all the vacations. I found no need, to use it.

Best regards from Germany
Daniel

...here are some pics and video footage of the tour with my family...:

http://vimeo.com/25686159

Florian Reichl Regular Member • Posts: 107
Re: HX9V is a keeper - Tour in Provence, France

Well done!
I'm really looking forward to use it on my next vacation.

Did you use the flash on most of your portraits?

Florian Reichl's gear list:Florian Reichl's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
Agius FOTO
Agius FOTO Senior Member • Posts: 2,126

very very nice pictures! Quality looks just fine to me!

Agius FOTO's gear list:Agius FOTO's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
Tom Hoots
Tom Hoots Veteran Member • Posts: 6,072

Daniel wrote:

Have this little cam now since 10 days and spent a very nice time in Provence. The overall performance is very good. Especially i liked the combination of high quality video and decent picture quality. I came from a HX5V and like the new toy a lot more.

Very nice! You certainly made a very good video out of all of your shots and video.

I liked the music -- could you tell us what you used?

Thanks!

Tom Hoots
http://thoots.zenfolio.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhoots/
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

amarjie Senior Member • Posts: 1,937
Tom...

The music used is called Samba Pa Ti by Santana...

By the way Daniel...

Thank you for sharing both the videos & photos...

Excellent quality for both...

Cheers..

-- hide signature --
Tom Hoots
Tom Hoots Veteran Member • Posts: 6,072
Re: Tom...

amarjie wrote:

The music used is called Samba Pa Ti by Santana...

Ahh, thanks! It was definitely familiar, but I sure couldn't pull it out of thin air!

That said, this is one of those truly great songs to search for in Amazon.com's MP3 download section -- versions from every musical dimension known to mankind. Reggae? Of course. Bluegrass? Yes. Chillout? Indeed. And so on.

Tom Hoots
http://thoots.zenfolio.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhoots/
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

OP BigCaplioFan Forum Member • Posts: 65

Florian Reichl wrote:

Well done!
I'm really looking forward to use it on my next vacation.

Did you use the flash on most of your portraits?

Hi Florian,

yes - so I did. Its my Style of Portrait Shooting. I like to use flash to get a good contrast between people and the background.

@at all: Thanks to the nice feedback!

Best regards
Daniel

Corelli Senior Member • Posts: 2,534

This shows once again that it's the person behind the camera that is the most important factor.

I actually watched the entire video which I rarely do because it was so well done.

Congratuliere!

George

Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha 7R II Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
Florian Reichl Regular Member • Posts: 107

BigCaplioFan wrote:

yes - so I did. Its my Style of Portrait Shooting. I like to use flash to get a good contrast between people and the background.

Good idea. I'll try it. In the past I was frightened of red eyes, a blue cast on the skin from the cold flash light and empty batteries.
But as you have shown, the "investment in flash light" is worth it.

Florian Reichl's gear list:Florian Reichl's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,351

What a wonderful mix of photos and video with a great musical background! Certainly one of the better ones I've seen in a long time. Looks like you all had a fantastic time on your vacation. Very well done all 'round!

-- hide signature --

Busch

Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.pbase.com/busch

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony a77 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
Goatruckus Regular Member • Posts: 450

Fantastic shots. Great person behind the camera!

BigCaplioFan, did you do much post processing on the photos? In general, what did you do?

Corelli wrote:

This shows once again that it's the person behind the camera that is the most important factor.

I actually watched the entire video which I rarely do because it was so well done.

Congratuliere!

George

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,435

What a marvelous presentation. The mix of photos and videos is done very professionally. I liked the shots of purple fields of flowers especially. Your family will enjoy watching this video for many years. Parle-tu provençal?
--
Steve McDonald
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22121562@N00/
http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos

Joe M Amadas Regular Member • Posts: 181

Daniel thank you for sharing your family vacation and reminding that a camera for a non professional purpose is not about pixel peeping but all about capturing memories and having them displayed in a pleasing way.

And nothing beats a multi purpose pocket camera in that way.

I downloaded your original and will watch it again on the 120" screen in full HD

maverick01 Contributing Member • Posts: 764

Very nice. It's a lot more convenient to carry around than a DSLR + extras but do you find when working with the stills that you miss the extra headroom a DSLR would have given you?

Thanks for sharing.

BrianC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,549

Bravo! Very well done.......you have some striking images from what looked to be a wonderful vacation with your family.

I just bought the HX5V but the 9 is very impressive!

-- hide signature --

Brian

BrianC's gear list:BrianC's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR
OP BigCaplioFan Forum Member • Posts: 65

Wow - what a nice feed back from all - thank you so much

Some answers to different questions...

Need of a DSLR / more headroom in raw etc.:

Of course i would have more possibilities with my 7D. But the picuture quality and the nice zoom range + easy to use video is much more use of fun in a trip like i did. For an around the world trip for example, i would ever prefer a package like a Sony HX9V instead of a DSLR. Changing lenses in the streets and so on... you know what i mean.

Post processing

I just worked a bit on the pictures with lightroom. There was about 150 pics in the video. Maybe 50 i "styled" a bit. I have spend about 2 hours for this. If you know Lightroom, you know how fast it is.

Again: Thanks a lot for all your nice response!

Best regards
Daniel

The Dutchman Contributing Member • Posts: 527

Hallo Daniel,

Nice video, which settings did you use for the Video on the HX9V. Highest or lowest. (1080 50p)

A pitty it wasn't on you tube I could watch it on fully quality.

Good job!

Alex
Niederlande

RayGuselli
RayGuselli Forum Pro • Posts: 15,007
Re: HX9V is a keeper - Tour in Provence, France.....NEW HERE

Hi Daniel,

First I should say hi as I am new to this forum and usually lurk in retouch.

I use Nikon DSLR's but until now have used a Panasonic FZ38 as my carry round etc. However, so impressed with reports on the Sony HX9V that I have got the Sony for its acceptable image quality, alleged stunning video and the portability of it....even the Panasonic is like a smal DSLR whereas this is more, in your top pocket etc.

It arrived only today and am reading up and charging it.

In the meantime, having read some less than favourable comments and thought...oops, I bought the wrong camera.....your wonderful Video has convinced me otherwise.

Stunning work from you and so nicely put together; I will watch again....it is a joy to see.

I also use Magix, just got 17 etc.

I too would like to know if the video was on the highest setting (1080P)....it really is excellent quality.

Wonderful to see and a pleasure to view....

Guess I will take this opportunity to say Hi to Sony users and look forward to seeing more from everyone and hopefully participating a little.

Very best wishes

Ray

RayGuselli's gear list:RayGuselli's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
T. L. Rutter Senior Member • Posts: 2,442

Very moving video and pictures!

You sir, proves that when one has talent behind the screen, you can capture the true essence in front of the screen.

Thank you for sharing! I am impressed! The results are outstanding!

Your family looked as though they were having the time of their lives!

Tomorrow, I am taking my daughter to Austin and hope to capture the moments in the same spirit as what you've done!

-- hide signature --

HX1 / HX5V User Group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=596585274&ref=name#/group.php?gid=101987207312

Sony HX-1, HX5V, NEX3
16mm (E-Mount)
18-55mm (E-Mount)
70-300 (A-Mount)

T. L. Rutter's gear list:T. L. Rutter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6500 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
pcaker Junior Member • Posts: 29

Congratulations, you took a great series of still photos and movies in Provence, which I much enjoyed. The standard appears to me to be high for both still and video, and very acceptable for a fairly expensive P&S. I own an HX5V which delivers excellent video, and good still photos, but it is clear from your pictures that the HX9V delivers superior, very good still photos, compared to my HX5V. I am less certain if the video is better than mine, but probably it is. I shall have to see if I can wait for the next model - HX10V? - or whether I will upgrade sooner to the HX9V. If I do the latter, it will be primarily for the improvement in the still image quality which I can see, rather than for the greater zoom or more pixels etc.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads