The World Camera!!!???

Started Jun 22, 2011 | Discussions
DonParrot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,929
Re: The World Camera!!!???

Great thread!

From the weight point of view I'd love to opt for my µFT gear but... if I'd travel the world that would mean to also got to extremely moist and dusty places and light weight wont prove to be too helpful if the camera fails due to the conditions.

So, I'd opt for my weather proofed E-5 with the 12-60 SWD and the 50-200 SWD. I know it's heavy and clumsy and not too well suited for back packing. But then, you can be 99 percent sure that it will keep on working throzghout your trip.

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +13 more
BigBarney Senior Member • Posts: 2,722
There is no single easy answer to this question

PipelineExplorer wrote:

What camera setup would you take with you to travel the world. What lens and camera would you take. Must be interchangeable lens camera, Dslr or M4/3. What two lenses would you take with you. Whether it be pictures for national geographic close up or far way?!?! What is your ideal setup?

I would probably lean to the g3 or the d5100 but am unsure of the lens. it would probably be a pancake and a large telephoto. Then again i am new to photography and know nothing!!!

We usually take a single holiday/vacation each year. Up until this year I typically took a single camera with a wide to short telephoto lens; usually this was my Panasonic LX3, but if I was starting from scratch I would probably chose either the LX5 or Olympus ZX1 today.

This suits my shooting style as over 90% of my images are at wide to normal focal lengths and most of my telephoto images are of architectural details that interest me.

This year we visited the Dalmatian coast of Croatia, an area of stunning natural beauty.

Still wanting to travel light I took my Panasonic GH2 with three lenses only:

• 14-140mm kit zoom lens.

• 7-14mm wide angle zoom lens.

• 20mm prime lens.

Something like 80% of my images were shot with the 14-140 as was most of the video, typically with the camera mounted on a monopod. The long end of this lens was still powerful enough to capture things like gargoyles which fascinate me.

Again if I was starting from scratch I would probably consider the G3 with this lens attached. If that is outside your budget there is always the possibility of using the 14-42mm kit lens and then something wider or longer in addition, depending on your shooting style and interests.

TEBnewyork
TEBnewyork Forum Pro • Posts: 11,337
Re: Thats easy ...pics ...an add-on (no pics)

Great gallery.

I think we are on the same wavelength. I would take the 14-140 and just one small fast prime.

-- hide signature --
timiano Senior Member • Posts: 1,091

TEBnewyork wrote:

Great gallery.

I think we are on the same wavelength. I would take the 14-140 and just one small fast prime.

-- hide signature --

Me too. 14-140 is a great all rounder, one of the best.

My travel bag comprises of 14-140, 100-300, legacy 50, GH2 and a Metz 48. I cannot believe I have this range and flexibility in such a small package. The legacy will be replaced by the new 45/1.8 when it's available. If I wanted ultra compact, I'd might leave the 100-300 at home.

timiano Senior Member • Posts: 1,091

Epic gallery mate,...wonderful. Do you have them in an online gallery? Would love to look through more of your work.

Talking of one camera one lens. Peoplevthink I'm mad when I leave out the house with just my Holga and a pocket full of 120. It's awesome though.

smallcams Veteran Member • Posts: 3,297
Re: Pics continued

And this gets overlooked all too often. Put your fancy equipment, photographic ego, and technical mumbo jumbo on the shelf for once. Get in the mix of things and simply shoot. Shoot like a child. Format your cluttered mind. Look at things from a different perspective. What did the Bard of Avon imply about short people and how they see things differently? Get on your knees if you have to.

Great images.

happypoppeye wrote:

...the first pic: "F8 and be there" ...so true

Dheorl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,467

I think it would have to be a GH2, 9-18, 14-140 and 20mm along with my trusty S95. Last trip took a m4/3 camera and not my S95 and regretted not taking it.

Would have the 14-140 on most of the time as a standard walkaround lens, 20mm for walkaround when it got darker, 9-18 to hand if I was planning on going somewhere that might require it and S95 to have in a pocket when I was going out with no intention of photography, just incase something popped up. Also for doing stuff where even the weight/size of a m4/3 would be too much.

happypoppeye
happypoppeye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,894
Awesomeness

Thanks Timiano ...most the pics are in the pbase link below ...there is a folder in there where you can click by country also. ...more stories on the wordpress link. I'll warn ya now, there are some bad pics on there

It is awesome. ..."your going where?". "Your only taking what?" ...gotta love it.

timiano wrote:

Epic gallery mate,...wonderful. Do you have them in an online gallery? Would love to look through more of your work.

Talking of one camera one lens. Peoplevthink I'm mad when I leave out the house with just my Holga and a pocket full of 120. It's awesome though.

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it...

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
photoSmart42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,380
High-end P&S

PipelineExplorer wrote:

Also not in just cities but high up at machu pichu or in egypt photographing the sphinx or maybe down in a cave !!!

That last one pretty much disqualifies anything but a high-end DSLR. It really also depends on how good a photographer you are, and what you plan on doing with your photos. If they're just for your own memorabilia, then frankly you'll be fine with a compact P&S that has a flash. No need for interchangeable lenses. You'll be more concerned with considerations such as being able to re-charge batteries, etc. Given that you're new to photography, I'd stick with a high-end P&S like the Olympus XZ-1, or perhaps a bridge camera. You're not ready for the challenge of interchangeable lenses IMO, and they won't buy you anything magical.

OP PipelineExplorer Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: High-end P&S

Not ready for the challenge? Ill leave that up to me if im not up to the challenge of a interchangeable lens camera I dont think I would venture out in to the world. That in itself is quite a challenge I think!

PipelineExplorer's gear list:PipelineExplorer's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100
Ming-KM Regular Member • Posts: 217

G1(due for replacement) with 7-14 and 45-200 is my choice with only 2 lenses allowed. I also carry a D-Lux4. If I have the 25 f1.4, that would come along for low light situations.

Ming-KM's gear list:Ming-KM's gear list
Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
ChrisKramer1 Regular Member • Posts: 330
But Why?

Does it have to be an interchangeable lens camera? You need to explain that. Surely a high-level compact like the Canon G12, Nikon P7000 or Panasonic LX5 would be better? If I'm travelling the world, I would want to be as light as possible and have a good a zoom range. Wouldn't want to worry about battery life or dust on the sensor either - or forgetting/dropping/having people steal my lenses.

ChrisKramer1 Regular Member • Posts: 330

LOL! I think a camera like the Canon G12 offers just as much challenge as a DSLR. And the term "P&S" is nothing more than inane marketing speak: how is it possible to take a photograph without "pointing" at a subject and "shooting"? (And if DSLRs are intended for advanced users, why do they all have Automatic and scene modes as well on-screen explanations of functions?).

Personally, I would recommend leaving the camera behind but if you have to take one with you, then a Canon G12, battery charger (with plug adapter), thousands of SD cards, Manfrotto mini tripod and shutter cable release should do it.

smallcams Veteran Member • Posts: 3,297
Good Observations:

ChrisKramer1 wrote:

Does it have to be an interchangeable lens camera? You need to explain that. Surely a high-level compact like the Canon G12, Nikon P7000 or Panasonic LX5 would be better? If I'm travelling the world, I would want to be as light as possible and have a good a zoom range. Wouldn't want to worry about battery life or dust on the sensor either - or forgetting/dropping/having people steal my lenses.

mlaca Regular Member • Posts: 169
combo

i'd take a nikon d3 a 14-24/2.8 and a 24-70/2.8. anything further away i'd walk closer if from interest.

mlaca's gear list:mlaca's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more

ChrisKramer1 wrote:

LOL! I think a camera like the Canon G12 offers just as much challenge as a DSLR. And the term "P&S" is nothing more than inane marketing speak: how is it possible to take a photograph without "pointing" at a subject and "shooting"? (And if DSLRs are intended for advanced users, why do they all have Automatic and scene modes as well on-screen explanations of functions?).

Personally, I would recommend leaving the camera behind but if you have to take one with you, then a Canon G12, battery charger (with plug adapter), thousands of SD cards, Manfrotto mini tripod and shutter cable release should do it.

I didn't come up with the P&S category, and you know what I meant. Let's get past the nomenclature, shall we? You're saying the exact same thing I am.

PipelineExplorer wrote:

Not ready for the challenge? Ill leave that up to me if im not up to the challenge of a interchangeable lens camera I dont think I would venture out in to the world. That in itself is quite a challenge I think!

Suit yourself. You asked for advice and I offered it. If you don't like blunt feedback then perhaps you shouldn't ask IMO. I stick to what I suggested, and I'm not the only one who gave you the same feedback. As a novice photographer the last thing you want to do is worry about how to work your camera, and that's complicated enough with fixed-lens modern cameras. You should be spending your time learning how to take great photographs on what's bound to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you. If you want to spend your time fiddling with different lenses on top of that, go for it. Good luck to you.

TEBnewyork
TEBnewyork Forum Pro • Posts: 11,337
Re: Good Observations:

I just sold my Canon G12. Am I the only one that found it slow to focus and in way too many instances I needed to half press a second time to get focus?

I think it can be a very good travel camera and yes, there have been zillions sold but for a little bit less you can now get the XZ-1 which really shines with it's very fast lens and very useable zoom range.

I think there is a fine balance between having a very good camera with you vs. having a weight around your neck and picking the kit accordingly is pretty important.

-- hide signature --
happypoppeye
happypoppeye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,894
Re: But Why?

I disagree with the "surely..." part. There is a lot an slr can do that a compact can't - I'm mainly thinking speed here, as well as a bigger sensor for better IQ. Of course it's all opinion and photography is all compromise.

Sure, I want to be as light as possible, but I don't find the smaller SLR's a problem at all. I think battery life is a null argument really, as is forgetting and dropping because a smaller camera doesn't help your memory or make you less of a clutz. I don't know, I've never had anything stolen and only had one try by a kid. Thats less about the camera and more about confidence and vigilance in my opinion.

With the invention of m4/3, you have a system that is great for travel. Small, light and higher IQ than a compact.

ChrisKramer1 wrote:

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it...

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Snowbird_UT Contributing Member • Posts: 946
E-1 plus 11-22, 50-200 & TC1.4 (nt)
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Snowbird_UT

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads