Olympus Customer Service EPIC FAIL ...

Started Jun 21, 2011 | Discussions
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 28,111
Re: Olympus Customer Service EPIC FAIL ...

DonParrot wrote:

It's just the same over here in Europe. We had a service centre in Hamburg, Germany that enjoyed outstanding reputation. Now, everything is sent to the Czech Republic and a lot of things go wrong. What made even a pro who still is convinced that FT suits his needs best jump ship to Canon.

It's not too helpful if you need your gear and its constantly travelling from Germany to the Czech Republic or vice versa.

Actually, since 2007 Olympus DSLRs were sent to Portugal and the compacts plus some lenses to the Czech Republic. In Germany there was only a collection center, a European wear house and they done some simple repair ever since 2007. Maybe even that is closed down now, as well as the center in Portugal.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
DonParrot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,968
Re: you frighten me

James Pilcher wrote:

My E-5 and 35-100mm are currently with Olympus in NY, for the third time since March 18th. I sent along a letter and many sample photos outlining my AF problems. I got a call from a guy named Paul asking me why I sent in my lens; he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I asked him if he read the letter and had looked at the body that had accompanied the lens. He knew nothing of the body, letter, or the sample photos.

Based upon your experience, now I'm afraid they will send back an E-450 and 40-150mm Mk I and call it even.

You know that I know that your situation is anything but funny, Jim - but thank's for the laugh!

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +13 more
CrashE3 Contributing Member • Posts: 820
Does it work?

No, really.. serious question. Does the camera work? Was the other issue fixed?

-- hide signature --

Visualize Whirled Peas.

f4ichuck Forum Member • Posts: 71
No picture?

I call BS unless a picture of the camera is produced.

-Chuck

sticks and stones
OP sticks and stones Veteran Member • Posts: 3,772
Thanks for the support folks ...

Here are pics of the E-5 as returned to me by Olympus:

To the skeptics, all I can say is - Really?

I'll post more detailed replies and an update from Olympus Customer Service later tonight.

Ed

Mark Chan Senior Member • Posts: 1,784
Re: Thanks for the support folks ...

I'd say most f rem are pulling your leg...sorry to hear what happening although it IS a tad funny.

I'm fortunate to libmve in Hk where the Olympus centre is located here I suppose - regional Asia pacific quarters.

Mark Chan's gear list:Mark Chan's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +7 more
SteveS58 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,607
Horrible repair service!

I sent my 14-54 lens type 1 into Hauppauge in April for repair. I got a replacement back in May that didn't work properly. So I sent it back on June 1st for a redo. It took them 7 days to check the lens in and verify that it was elligible for a redo. They gave me an estimated return ship date of 6/9. Then they changed that to maybe around 6/21. Meanwhile I've been without a working lens for 2 months. You would think that a redo would have priority and that they would get it back to me quickly. Wake up Olympus! Customers are not going to stand for such poor service.

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 47,357
I am really sorry this happened to you...

In all honesty, I think this is part of the super-cut cutting measures that unfortunately seem to have fallen in the wrong place. I think Olympus should have spent even some cash out of their profitable divisions to cover for Imaging on this or cut Imaging out, because this is going to only hurt their brand and that costs a lot of cash.

I wonder if their thinking here is "well 4/3rds is no more so we don't need to do the top notch support and consumerist micro can take over and the expectations of service are much lower.. plus he cameras are much cheaper so ..."

Honestly, I don't think the guys in NYC mean bad but imagine this situation which I think they are in:

• they see a bunch of layoffs around them. That hurts morale- motivation to help you drops down significantly

• then they get double or 3x the work because they closed the West service facility and now it all has to go through there

• and then they probably got a lot of support/computer equipment/etc. etc. they needed to do their job fast, cut cut cut.

This is in my eyes a management problem.

I really hope it all works out for you and the few recent others having so many issues.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

boggis the cat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,329
Collector's item?

redshifted wrote:

Here are pics of the E-5 as returned to me by Olympus:

That must be an engineering sample / prototype of the E-5 -- send an email with the photos attached to Olympus Japan offering to swap it for a production E-5 and a finder's fee.

Well, at least your AEL/AFL button is printed straight, rather than on a (trendy?) angle like the E-5.

To the skeptics, all I can say is - Really?

Pfft. 3 and 5 are both single-digit numbers, right? Whiner.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
agott123
agott123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,434

Ed, I hope they apologise soon enough, and fix such a gross mistake.
Regards
Alex

-- hide signature --

Couldn't help but make me feel ashamed to live in a land
Where justice is a game. From Bob Dylan's 'Hurricane'

agott123's gear list:agott123's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +21 more
pris Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
EPIC FAIL indeed

Who would have thought that technician grabbing a part from the wrong bin could lead to such crucifying of the whole company. While no questions it's irritating, annoying, frustrating, but to pick a few from the posts:

• Never buy Olympus ? (Is it a standard reaction to any mix-up with any repair now? I am afraid we will run out of things to buy very soon, and considering how few camera brands are there, photography won't be an option in a very short order. But OK, this one is written by OP in easy to understand emotional state)

• " What they did to you "? (OMGOMGOMG, what, what? Robbed at the knife point, stole your identity, kicked your dog, peed in your whiskey?)

• Make a video and post on Youtube ? (Do we do that when our service is done perfectly fine too? To keep balance, you know...)

I'd say, short of "Demand UN resolution," "Send in the marines," "Call air support" and "Let's go to barricades" the response has been measured, proportional and royally benevolent.

Frightening bunch...

Jim Shamray Junior Member • Posts: 40

TedKurkowski wrote:

Rriley wrote:

and they closed the west coast office so that these guys can continue

No, Hauppauge has traditionally been very good. It looks to me that now they're overwhelmed.

Ted

My experience last year was not good. I bought an E-520 and had to send it to Olympus for repair due to focusing issues. I sent it in three times, and the problem would not be fixed. They always did a calibration and cleaning, but it never seemed to work. On the fourth time I requested a replacement body, which focused better. It is a little off at 14mm on the 14-42, but if I zoom it a little(about 1mm) it is ok. I bought this camera in May and did not have a working camera until late august.

I do not think that they test very well or at all after they work on a camera. Every time I recieved it back I would shoot a bunch of test shots and notice the issue right away.

Jim

rovingtim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,868
Re: EPIC FAIL indeed

pris wrote:

Who would have thought that technician grabbing a part from the wrong bin could lead to such crucifying of the whole company. While no questions it's irritating, annoying, frustrating, but to pick a few from the posts:

The interesting question is where is his original E5 top that came with the camera? As far as I'm aware, there was nothing wrong with it. And if they are swapping parts that are so obviously labelled, what about less obvious parts?

Would you be pleased if a part from your E5 got swapped with a knackered E3 part?

(I'm not saying this happened here ... could be a new top piece because they lost or damaged the original one ...)

• Never buy Olympus ? (Is it a standard reaction to any mix-up with any repair now? I am afraid we will run out of things to buy very soon, and considering how few camera brands are there, photography won't be an option in a very short order. But OK, this one is written by OP in easy to understand emotional state)

• " What they did to you "? (OMGOMGOMG, what, what? Robbed at the knife point, stole your identity, kicked your dog, peed in your whiskey?)

• Make a video and post on Youtube ? (Do we do that when our service is done perfectly fine too? To keep balance, you know...)

I'd say, short of "Demand UN resolution," "Send in the marines," "Call air support" and "Let's go to barricades" the response has been measured, proportional and royally benevolent.

Frightening bunch...

These are emotions expressing, Pris. It's not well thought out cold logic. That's partly why people post here ... to blow off steam.

Your logic has no warmth or compassion to it.

England Kev Senior Member • Posts: 1,601
I can't Believe

There are this many replies to this post.

I was once told, people who never make a mistake, never make anything!

Crap happens.

Oh and I had great service from them on my E1, quick buy an Olympus
--
http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
so err...

was the E5 top damaged and replaced or ... ?

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
olyflyer
Re: EPIC FAIL indeed

pris wrote:

While no questions it's irritating, annoying, frustrating...

No, it's much worse than that. It's really amateurish. It's a fix a DIY self thought technician could do on his own camera if he could not get hold of the original part but to get a camera back "repaired" that way from the original, certified Olympus service centre is much more than "irritating, annoying, frustrating" it is pure and simple incompetence. If that technician does not know the difference between an E-3 and an E-5 he/she should work with something else, not cameras. I mean, it's so freaking obvious, not just a part which fits, it has even E-3 printed on it, so basically one must be an illiterate to make such mistake.

I bet you'd raise hell if you had a Mercedes which after repair would be returned to you with an ugly SAAB or Volvo front... unless it was done on your request of course.

Nikon Z7
olyflyer
Did you read the first, opening post?

Rriley wrote:

was the E5 top damaged and replaced or ... ?

redshifted wrote:

The top plate was dinged when I banged the camera on some rocks shooting waterfalls this past Spring.

Nikon Z7
Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,625
Its official then Ed ....

pris wrote:

Who would have thought that technician grabbing a part from the wrong bin could lead to such crucifying of the whole company.

... you're now an Oly Troll.

Welcome to the club

CrashE3 Contributing Member • Posts: 820
Vitriol!! Hyperbole!! Let us all drink this whine!

All of this over 1-cent worth of white paint.

Assuming the camera still works like an E-5, I am failing to see the injury causing all of the "never buy Oly again" angst. It is not like it was replaced with a part that did not fit and needed to be held in place with duct tape and packing tape.

I guess this could be far more sinister.. maybe, just maybe.. some technician runs out of E-5 top assemblies and thinks to himself.. "hmmm, I could make this guy wait for a month until we get more in stock.. or I could just put this brand new E-3 top on there so the guy has a camera!" Yeah, I know, EVIL incarnate.

Yeah, it was a bad decision.. because the last thing Oly needs right now is to give more idiots fuel for their "demise of Oly" bonfires. This knucklehead will likely loose his job, rightfully so (can't have any of that out of the box thinking going on), and the rest of the techs will get micro managed to death. (Now would be a great time to send something for repair!) Of course, we will likely see repair times get even longer as we wait for parts.. (hopefully, we won't see any once in a lifetime catastrophic disasters that might slow things down over in Japan..).

-- hide signature --

Visualize Whirled Peas.

Bill Wallace Veteran Member • Posts: 7,020
Re: Vitriol!! Hyperbole!! Let us all drink this whine!

Now Crash......

If that happened to you I can't believe for one second you would be happy with this circumstance. Yeah the camera works but what about resale not to mention that when you send it in for repair this would never occur to ones mind it would come back with another name plate...I would not stand for it and I believe you wouldn't either.

As far as Ed calling for a ban on Olympus products, that's entirely up to him. He is a talented photographer and loyal Olympus user for many years, that's how he feels and expressed as much. Look at Jim's plight with Oly service, mind boggling. When customer service goes you really do need to take a long hard look at the company you have hitched your horses to. If this were an isolated instance so be it but you here more and more of this happening. New York used to be the best facility in the U.S. Now that it's the only one looks like you pay your money and you take your chances. I'm sure they are over worked beyond belief but still.....

Did Ed over-react? Maybe he did maybe he didn't? I would have been pi$$ed off if it were my camera and yes it would have affected my loyalty. I have my original E-1 from November of 03 so yes I know what being loyal is all about. Ed needed to vent and he did so.

Enjoy the whine, it's a good vintage,

Bill

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace

http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/

"I'd rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints"

Bill Wallace's gear list:Bill Wallace's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads