Why the 28-300L doesn't get any Love? :) 16 Small images

Started Jun 20, 2011 | Discussions
mevbo Senior Member • Posts: 1,220
Why the 28-300L doesn't get any Love? :) 16 Small images

I never see this lens get recommended and I don't understand why. I realize it is heavy, expensive, and big, but for a "One lens solution" it is awesome. The versitility is just plain fun to shoot. I have had it for a few years now and have to say I am happier with it now more than I have ever been. I Used it first on a 50D and was quite happy with it. It's does well on my 7D too. I just got a 5dMKII a few months ago and wow does the 28-300 do great on it. It will not stand up to the 70-200 2.8ISmkii or the 24-70 2.8, but it sure isn't bad. Here are a few shots with this combo. Anyone have images to share from theirs?

mevbo's gear list:mevbo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +3 more
tonyjr
tonyjr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,294
Re: Why the 28-300L doesn't get any Love? :) 16 Small images

Nice shots . Most people put it in the P & S area . They shoot with the 24-70 , 70-200 , 100-400 mainly and the 28-300 is just to expensive for the IQ .

I have the 35-350 and it was my go to lens for 10 to 14 years . I would have gotten the 28-300 last thanksgiving , but the 70-200 mk II was 800 cheaper . [ it also will take the 2X III ]

If the price came down to around 1500 , I would get it . Right now it is the 100-400 , 24-70 or 105 or the 180 macro - which ever get 2.8 and IS 1st .
--
1st it's a hobby
7D gripped XTI gripped
Canon - efs 10-22 , 17-55 , ef 18-55 IS
EF 28-90 , 28 @ 2.8 , 50 @1.8 , 28-135 IS
L's 35-350 , 70-200 MK II IS
Quantaray lens 70-300 macro
Sigma 135 - 400
2X III , Life Size converter
KSM filters for all
kenko auto tubes , EF 25

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
jrarsenault Senior Member • Posts: 1,151

mevbo wrote:

I never see this lens get recommended and I don't understand why. I realize it is heavy, expensive, and big, but for a "One lens solution" it is awesome. The versitility is just plain fun to shoot. I have had it for a few years now and have to say I am happier with it now more than I have ever been. I Used it first on a 50D and was quite happy with it. It's does well on my 7D too. I just got a 5dMKII a few months ago and wow does the 28-300 do great on it. It will not stand up to the 70-200 2.8ISmkii or the 24-70 2.8, but it sure isn't bad. Here are a few shots with this combo. Anyone have images to share from theirs?

Your photos look great and show off the capabilities of this "great white". Because of its size and colour, do you get a lot of attention from the public?

OP mevbo Senior Member • Posts: 1,220

jrarsenault wrote:

mevbo wrote:

Your photos look great and show off the capabilities of this "great white". Because of its size and colour, do you get a lot of attention from the public?

Not too bad. Pleanty of looks and a few comments like "Wow", but never any complaints or threats. I have all my gear insured too, just in case. The weight is the biggest thing to overcome with the lens. It is heavy at the end of the day.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +3 more
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,540

I just don't think most people want a $2500 lens that is 3lb and 7 inches long just for better than average family snapshots. Yes it is the best superzoom lens on the planet, but it still can't hold a candle to say a 24-105 and 70-300L combo that would come in at the same price and be easier to lug around.

Geenine Contributing Member • Posts: 990

This lens is so expensive and so heavy that the only use I see for it would be for a pro. Then only when he knows that he will need such a lens, otherwise there are much better options available if he has the time to change lenses or is willing to carry two bodys. For all non pro use, something like a Tamron 28-300 VC will give you optical performance probably in the 90's percent of the L, at a MUCH lower price and MUCH lower weight.

Your shots looks great, but the lens is just not attractive at all for most people, when you compare the price and weight to the performance. That is why it don't get any recommendations and love.

But with all that said, I agree that it's probably the best superzoom on the planet

Geenine's gear list:Geenine's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EOS Rebel SL1
snapperZ
snapperZ Contributing Member • Posts: 873

It's a 'jack of all trades' lens, a very good one but not the best IQ option at any particular FL. It's quite expensive for a slow lens and heavy for a walk around. Many would rather carry two smaller lenses at the expense of having to change them.

I agree it will attract attention. I was shooting kids sport with my (cute little) 70-300L last w/e and a non photographer commented that really I needed a bigger lens. I was about to agree (the 500L would have been a lot better) when it dawned on me that the comment was meant ironically. If you're not a photographer the 28-300L is a monster.

snapperZ's gear list:snapperZ's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +29 more
Geenine Contributing Member • Posts: 990

snapperZ wrote:

If you're not a photographer the 28-300L is a monster.

I'd say that even if you ARE a photographer, the 28-300L is a monster, when you're at the beach with your kids

When you are at the Oscars, shooting continously both near and far, all over the place, it's a fantastic jack of all trades.

Lenses are tools, even if a Swiss army knife is a great thing to have and can be a real lifesaver, it's very seldom the right tool for any particular job. I think this describes the 28-300L well.

Geenine's gear list:Geenine's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EOS Rebel SL1
Martin Muehlemann
Martin Muehlemann Senior Member • Posts: 1,405

Very nice pictures, indeed.

I was really considering last week, when putting my gear together to get the 28-300L instead of 24-105/70-300L

Three things kept my away from buying it
1. Price, 3100 CHF (3600 USD)
2. Weight
3. Pull/Push Zoom

But, yes, I am still tempted. Maybe I'll wait for the 24-300L F/4 IS USM for 2000 USD

Cheers
Martin

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | 24-105L IS USM | 70-300L IS USM | 50/1.4 USM | 100/2.8L IS USM Macro | Speedlite 270EX

http://www.muehlemann-pix.ch
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/1125341

Martin Muehlemann's gear list:Martin Muehlemann's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +13 more
tocar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,519

I've been comtemplating getting this lens too but the price is keeping me away. I do notice that this lens is out of stock at most stores online.

tocar's gear list:tocar's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M +1 more
tocar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,519

Those are terrific candid shots and very sharp too. I was planning to get thisi lens but the price is a bit much for me.

tocar's gear list:tocar's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M +1 more
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,871

There is one picture taken @28mm. All the rest are 70-300. This may be coincidence, but I thought maybe you would benefit from having a 24-105 + 70-300?

Another thing, which may be a bit off the mark: Have you ever heard of the Rule Of Thirds? All the pictures are centered, the one at 28mm to the extent that you cut off the girl's foot. It just dawned on me that might be the reason the pictures were not that exciting to look at.

Not that I'm a photographic genius myself, so it's just my 2 cents worth.
--
Less is more

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
Thank you for the comments

And tips. I am not a pro, (I have a career with a cellular company) and as someone mentioned, I shoot mostly my family and friends. The lens is big, heavy and expensive, but I really like it and what it can do. It's taken me a few years to collect the gear I have and dropping $2300 for this lens used from B+W was a big purchase, but I have not regretted it. It was rated 9+ and I even got a trip to Canon under warranty (By date code) for a cleaning and alignment. I have been happy with the pictures it gives and even moreso since using it with the 5dmkii.

I do shoot mostly on the longer end as also mentioned (Getting used to the FF is a big difference too), but like being able to go to 28 back to 300 without changing lenses.

I do have a 24-70 / 70-200 mkii / 2xIII / 50mm 1.4 for when I want extreme at a focal lenght I can predict or have time to change them around.

Also mentioned was a 24-300L f.4? Is that in the works or rumored, or just a dream? I would want one if that ever did come about, but I'm sure that would be quite a bit more than $2000. The 28-300 is a bit dated, but not sure where it stands as far as consumer demand for an update.

Re: Thank you for the comments

Well it definitely seems to be working well for you, so that's cool. I wonder if you wouldn't be happier with a T2i and 18-200 or a Tamron 28-300 VC for the 5D to use for family trips, though. Same zoom range in a small camera bag and less attention. Most of us would do something like that if we wanted good (enough) quality in a single lens solution, so that's why we aren't interested in the big white lens.

casdewrf Regular Member • Posts: 374

i think most people judge this lens by the samples posted on "the digital picture" test images.

I've used the lens and I'm convinced that there are noticeably sharper versions around out there than their copy that was tested, including the one I got to use.

It's not much different in size and weight to a 100-400, and a lot of people including myself are happy to tolerate that lens for size and weight

casdewrf wrote:

It's not much different in size and weight to a 100-400, and a lot of people including myself are happy to tolerate that lens for size and weight

On a trip to the beach with the kids?

MrFlash Contributing Member • Posts: 781
No love

Big size, big weight, big price, big compromise. No love.
--
MrFlash

MrFlash's gear list:MrFlash's gear list
Nikon Df Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +4 more
James Rudd
James Rudd Regular Member • Posts: 203

I use this lens a lot, it is very robust and excellent for event photography - its virtually a pap lens.

I use it for sports - rugby, cricket, cycling. For motorsport.

You get used to the the push/pull and the weight. I agree it is not in the league of 70-200 IS 2.8 L II etc but it does have great range.

Unless I am going on an indoor shoot, and its an event - this is the lens that goes on.

Cricket - handheld in changeable weather

http://www.flickr.com/photos/towcesternews/sets/72157626989760322/

Supercars - press snaps

http://www.flickr.com/photos/towcesternews/sets/72157626751228597/

Ladies Day - Horse Racing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/towcesternews/sets/72157626645244049/

Silverstone Wing Launch - inside and out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/towcesternews/sets/72157626618286541/

-- hide signature --

James Rudd - TowcesterNews

James Rudd's gear list:James Rudd's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +25 more

Nice shots! Have you tried the lens on a FF? I noticed yours were on the 7d.

James Rudd
James Rudd Regular Member • Posts: 203

I have not, only a 7d and 40d. Well actually thinking about it once on a friends 1dS MkIII. Naturally it is wider and has less reach on it.

Indeed it was his lens of choice for going to deserts because they are bright and it mean't it never came off the body.

James
--
James Rudd - TowcesterNews

James Rudd's gear list:James Rudd's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads