P7000 picture controls

Started Jun 16, 2011 | Discussions
Andrew Ellis
Andrew Ellis Contributing Member • Posts: 756
P7000 picture controls

As the P7000 only get 4 standard pictures controls (standard, Neutral, Vivid and B&W), plus 2 customs (based on the built in ones), does anyone know if it's possible to download more to the camera ?

I have a Landscape and Portrait picture control on my DSLR's and was wondering if the P7000 used the same ?

If not, would anyone like to share how they have their 4 picture controls (and possibly 2 customs) set up - preferably for shooting jpegs ?
--
Lets make pictures, not war........

Andrew Ellis's gear list:Andrew Ellis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 +13 more
Aub08 Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re: P7000 picture controls

Andrew Ellis wrote:

As the P7000 only get 4 standard pictures controls (standard, Neutral, Vivid and B&W), plus 2 customs (based on the built in ones), does anyone know if it's possible to download more to the camera ?

I have a Landscape and Portrait picture control on my DSLR's and was wondering if the P7000 used the same ?

If not, would anyone like to share how they have their 4 picture controls (and possibly 2 customs) set up - preferably for shooting jpegs ?
--

Hello Andrew, I've not used Nikon DSLR's so forgive me if I mention something obvious

I've found the best setting for my eye to be "neutral" with sharpness centred (3), contrast -1 and saturation +1 and that's pretty much all I use unless I need to tone down the contrast a little more.

There is a grid available for fine tuning accessible when contrast or saturation is highlighted.....operating the zoom lever takes you into a grid display which gives an enormous scope for fine tuning between modes. I found a personal preference for "neutral" with a little more saturation rather than "Normal" with a little less.

Regarding separate landscape and portrait controls, I've not found it on this camera.

Btw I found the lovely series of photos you posted to be a little on the vivid side for my taste but very enjoyable

regards........Paul

Andrew Ellis
OP Andrew Ellis Contributing Member • Posts: 756

Thanks Paul.

Note your comments about the photos. Not to everyones tastes, but it's sort of the way I like them (even if slightly unrealistic) - I like to live in a colourful world !
--

Andrew Ellis's gear list:Andrew Ellis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 +13 more
harry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,308

Veroman has some useful tips for a vivid color shooter like you:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=38308006

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=38389695

-- hide signature --

HLL7575

harry's gear list:harry's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 +9 more
markh3120 New Member • Posts: 6

Hi all,

I've been playing a lot with the picture controls on the P7000 lately, and for general purpose I seem to have settled on Vivid, with Contrast -2, and Saturation -1.

I've found that if I want absolute colour accuracy I get the best results in Vivid, Contrast -2, and Saturation -2. At that point the results are very close to the default neutral setting, but (to my eyes) have slightly more natural colour rendition.

For me, the default Neutral setting gives pleasing results also, but with a slightly warmer colour rendition than the 'toned down' vivid setting above. I find both settings really good for maximum dynamic range and post-processing potential.

The 'Standard' colour space isn't so much to my tastes, so I've played with that one less than the others.

Interesting that others are going through the same tuning process. I came here fishing for info on this very subject.

Mark.

markh3120 New Member • Posts: 6
Re: P7000 picture controls - correction

Correction to my post above. I use -3 contrast in Vivid, not -2.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads