Getting the GREAT Shot - Quick reference LIST/TIPS.

Started Jun 13, 2011 | Discussions
SelectiveAperture Regular Member • Posts: 264
Getting the GREAT Shot - Quick reference LIST/TIPS.

I plan on actually printing and laminating this and putting on my tripod for quick reference and a friendly reminder.
Please add anything you think might help get a better shot!

A) a GOOD lens,
B) using a tripod,
C) using self-timer mode to take your hands off the camera,
D) good light to illuminate fine details,
E) precise focusing (manual or automatic),
F) finding the 'sweet spot' of the lens & using it,
G) Fast shutter to freeze movement. I like 1/125 or 1/250 and faster
H) or Slow shutter to add movement

I'm sure there are others.
Happy Shooting

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,535
Re: Getting the GREAT Shot - Quick reference LIST/TIPS.

I think most of this list applies mainly to architectural record photography.

I would put as number one on the list, look at lots of classic Japanese prints, paintings and drawings by great artists, photographs by great and good photographers. Watch the composition of shots in the best films - some of the best photographers shoot movies.

As for light, a bright light is good for record shots, but often the light itself is the interesting thing to notice and photograph.

A tripod is seldom convenient. Most people can learn to take steady photographs at any shutter speed faster than the 35mm equivalent focal length - for instance, 1/50 at 50mm. Double the speed if you want to be safe.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
dasrocket Regular Member • Posts: 279

This will become second nature to you so fast that you won't have any more use for it than you do for the
1. get on bike
2. start pedaling
3. balance without training wheels.

Not trying to be sarcastic, but you'll learn your list very, very fast.

...what I should laminate is
1. remember to bring extra batteries
2. remember to put clear card in the camera
etc

-- hide signature --

george

'...those who say you can't do something should not get in the way of those of us actually getting it done!...'

Mark_McD Senior Member • Posts: 1,759

I can simplify your list a lot. Look through your photographic-eyes more often than not, don't try and make a picture of something that isn't there (this can be fun for academic reasons like pressing yourself in PP, but often doesn't result in the most interesting photo), and keep a/your camera with you at all times.

Often I won't be looking for a great picture (save family get-togethers, vacations) but rather allow one to fall into my lap. I think it's one of the reasons I prefer shooting at normal focal lengths, I like to do a reportage of what I see.

-- hide signature --
 Mark_McD's gear list:Mark_McD's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a7 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +6 more
boardsy Senior Member • Posts: 2,215

SelectiveAperture wrote:

I plan on actually printing and laminating this and putting on my tripod for quick reference and a friendly reminder.

A) a GOOD lens,
B) using a tripod,

Happy Shooting

You charge for your services professionally, and you will hang a sign on your tripod to remind yourself to use a tripod?! And to use a good lens (as opposed to a bad one?), precise focussing (as opposed to imprecise)... Sorry to be negative (i usually say nothing rather than be negative), but this seems naive in the extreme, and potentially embarrassing to you in the field! Imagine hiring an electrician with a laminated sign around his neck saying "don't connect a live wire to a neutral; never test a wire on your tongue." Or a heart-surgeon: "the aorta is the one on the left; no, not your's, the patient's left; hmm, or is it your left after all?" You get the idea!

Also, I wonder if your models realise you are posting up pictures of them for semi-ogling purposes on a public forum? This also seems hardly professional?

Sorry to be the kill-joy!

Alan

GuyMcKie Contributing Member • Posts: 618

1. vision
2. vision
3. vision
4. vision
5. vision

bodziu Regular Member • Posts: 373

Well... and I thought it's kind of a joke I dont understand. Anyway, after it's laminated and on the Tripod please post the picture of this 'GREAT Shot' list! There is a place in the internet for such ground-breaking ideas... lol
Don't forget laminating!

BTW,

boardsy wrote:

Also, I wonder if your models realise you are posting up pictures of them for semi-ogling purposes on a public forum? This also seems hardly professional?

+1

bodziu's gear list:bodziu's gear list
Olympus C-4040 Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5
OP SelectiveAperture Regular Member • Posts: 264
actually, these tips come from photographers that have images

in the R+R hall of fame and in Time magazines "100 Photographs that Changed the World" in fact my friend Charles Moore had 2 in this group of 100 - look it up you might learn something new on how to create an image that change the world.

The fact that they took the time to impress these ideas to me in the time I spent filming and shooting with them meant a lot to me and if this helps one person out there - then they would be proud!

Your never too old or too young to learn new tricks and tips - the day you think you know it all is the day your passion just died!

Thanks to those that share any helpful tips - you never know who you inspire!

bodziu Regular Member • Posts: 373
Re: actually, these tips come from photographers that have images

SelectiveAperture wrote:

(...)

'a GOOD lens' is indeed a hell of advice...
I'll shut up now, just before laminating, add this to the 'tripodlist':

'Ask the model for permission before publishing their picture in public domain'.

bodziu's gear list:bodziu's gear list
Olympus C-4040 Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5
Just Having Fun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,869
Use a flash

Ever see professionals taking pictures on the beach in full sun and wonder why they are using a flash?

A fill-in flash in most situations can really improve a picture.

odobo Contributing Member • Posts: 692

SelectiveAperture wrote:

A) a GOOD lens,
B) using a tripod,

Happy Shooting

I thought the top of the list should always be bring a good photographer

odobo's gear list:odobo's gear list
NEX5R Sony a6300 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
jtan_pdr Regular Member • Posts: 322

D Cox wrote:

As for light, a bright light is good for record shots, but often the light itself is the interesting thing to notice and photograph.

to appreciate light, u must have shadows....

the interplay of light and shadows gives the object or space the 3 dimesionality thats missing from an 'evenly' lit space or object...

a ball evenly lit from all sides incl top and bottom looks like a circle disc..

but lit from just 1 direction with shadows gradating away makes it look like a ball that it is..

Sohoza New Member • Posts: 13

I'm not sure what all the snark is about. This is actually a really handy list of tips, as I'm always forgetting things like whether or not to focus precisely.

Before I laminate my own list and affix it to the lcd of my NEX (I'm pretty sure I won't need it, as composition is never mentioned), I would like to suggest the addition of :

I) Make sure to leave room for the ugliest watermark known to man.

OP SelectiveAperture Regular Member • Posts: 264
I hope your not refuring to

my masterpiece watermark? - Well. if it is - it is - but better to have pretty girls and ugly watermarks than pretty watermarks and ugly . . .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads