Another D300 vs D7000 post !

Started Jun 13, 2011 | Discussions
caspianm Senior Member • Posts: 2,471
Re: Another D300 vs D7000 post !

olyflyer wrote:

caspianm wrote:

7k offers about one stop better shadow detail if you take photo's with that kind of EV (low light) and one stop better iso above 1600.

Where did you get those figures from?

I have them both and expeimented a bit. That is my own observations.
I use my D200&D300 mainly and wife/daughter use the D7000.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Nikon D800E Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix B700 Sony a7 +19 more
agc1976 Senior Member • Posts: 1,713

caspianm wrote:

For most everyday pictures the difference is none or better with D300's.

In which way do you get better pictures with the D300s? I've tried them both but image quality wise I cannot find a situation where the D300s would give better IQ except perhaps more in focus images due to the superior AF system, a better timed shot due to the higher fps or better HDR because of the superior bracketing of the D300s.

ScottRH
ScottRH Senior Member • Posts: 1,750

If you are going to use it in the sand, rain, and dust the 7K is not the choice.

agc1976 wrote:

caspianm wrote:

For most everyday pictures the difference is none or better with D300's.

In which way do you get better pictures with the D300s? I've tried them both but image quality wise I cannot find a situation where the D300s would give better IQ except perhaps more in focus images due to the superior AF system, a better timed shot due to the higher fps or better HDR because of the superior bracketing of the D300s.

I agree with your assesment. Skin color of my d300/d200 seems more to my liking as well.

Nikon D800E Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix B700 Sony a7 +19 more
Dave Courtenay Contributing Member • Posts: 732

ScottRH wrote:

If you are going to use it in the sand, rain, and dust the 7K is not the choice.

I have shot my D7000 in temperatures down near -20, Its been in rain,sleet and heavy snow without a blip, I have also shot it on the beach so you are talking rubbish
--
http://www.wildlifeinfocus.com
Facebook-David Courtenay Photography (www.wildlifeinfocus.com)

Dave Courtenay's gear list:Dave Courtenay's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR +9 more

Dave Courtenay wrote:

ScottRH wrote:

I have shot my D7000 in temperatures down near -20, Its been in rain,sleet and heavy snow without a blip, I have also shot it on the beach so you are talking rubbish
--

Lets not deny the fact that D300 is built better for adverse conditions hence better suited for that kind of assignments. That is what he says.

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,821

Dave Courtenay wrote:

Interesting, since the stated operating range is 0°-40°C (32°-104°F). Same range as for all Nikon DSLRs. However, I would be cautious: not sure the effect of leaving the D7000 on a tripod for hours at -20°, be it Farenheit or Celcius

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more

Dave:

What made you move from Canon to Nikon (read your bio)? Also, do you consider the D7000 so good that you won't be looking to upgrade to the D400 once it comes out?

Dave Courtenay Contributing Member • Posts: 732

I changed to Nikon after fighting with Canon for 18 months trying to get the 1D mk3 sorted, They were just arrogant and bull headed about it until i proved to them that it was a pile of crap, I said that if they could not fix the problem i would go to Nikon-They simply said enjoy your Nikon and that was that

I used the D7000 in Japan along with my D3s just before the tsunami, The sea was frozen so solid that even the ice breaker i was on could not leave the harbour, It was around -18 and with heavy sleet, Everything was soaking yet the D7000 and D3s worked perfectly, A lot of people here read alot of crap comments without any experience themselves and soon 1 persons comments become 100 peoples and then its gospel, The D300 was a really great camera and i loved it, The D7000 is a great camera and to me i want the very best IQ and the D7000 blows the D300 away, I never shot the D300 over ISO 400 as grain become evident-i supply agencies so NR is not possible, I shoot the D7000 at ISO 800 and that makes a big difference to me-of course i can use the D3s but the cropped sensor is very useful for a nature photographer, Will i get a D400 and chop in the D7000-hell yea-The D7000 is better than the D300 for me but i like the full size body and controls, I didnt say that the D7000 is perfect just better than the D300 for me

Dave
--

Dave Courtenay's gear list:Dave Courtenay's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR +9 more
HSway
HSway Veteran Member • Posts: 3,168
Honestly

-you cant jump at first next sensor erratically. Never mind your heart beat going up when seeing its advantages. You wait till your camera system (body) is updated. Unless reconsidering it from that base. You can of course also get the cam of a lower line losing some small money at worse temporarily (might even keep it after your camera upgrade – backup, lightweight alternative) but the point is clear.
Lovely shot for 2tc.
Best,

Hynek

-- hide signature --

Thanks Dave!

str8pipe
str8pipe Regular Member • Posts: 326

All I miss from my previous D300 are the size and ergonomics. My D7000 has brought a new level of confidence just by letting it float on Auto-ISO to get higher shutter speed for action, while the max ISO that I could tolerate with the D300 was 800 and 1000 if I really really had to. Imho, the D7000 is more of a camera for the price than what I paid in the past for D300.

str8pipe's gear list:str8pipe's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS +30 more
JasonED Contributing Member • Posts: 946
Re: str8pipe: Do you have a D300 example?

Hi Str8pipe.

Do you have an example of the unacceptable noise levels you have found on the D300? I have a D300 and have been considering a D7000 - would be useful to see what your noise threshold is as it seems everyone is different.

Cheers.
--
The sky is blue and there is nothing we can do..

rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,921

I can't understand all the hype about better noise levels at higher ISO's with the D7000, gee do you need a camera too be able to take photos in complete darkness, if it's that dark put a flash on.

I took a few photos last night it was very dark the cars had their headlight on and at 1600 ISO I thought the photos from my D300s very acceptable, looked much lighter in the photos than what my eyes could see.

On the second photo I used a bit of Topaz Denoise, excuse the camera shake as I was shooting out of the car .

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
jfk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,048

Although the D300 is better in build and speed, the D7k is much better with noise, and not just high iso. While shooting the same scene in daylight out my back door, at base iso with the D300 I would get noise in some of the shadow areas. Shooting same scene at base iso with D7k the shadow areas were essentially noise free.
jfk

rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,921

Yeah your probably right but are you looking at the photos on a 23" Monitor I wonder what the difference would be if printing the photo.

I had a d90 and got the bug to upgrade so I got a D7000 I was very disappointed in the quality of my photos, lots of them were very soft and slightly blurry looking and it wasn't user error.

I don't know whether it was a back focus issue with my 16-85mm lens or if it was due to shutter or VR Blur ( I have read here).

As soon as I got my D300s once again my photos were nice and sharp and focused just like the D90 before.

So if I do get a bit more noise in my shots I don't care as I can use plenty of software to reduce that but no way could I live with a camera that produced soft focused blurry photos.
I must have been one of the unlucky ones that got a faulty D7000

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
rondhamalam
rondhamalam Senior Member • Posts: 2,582
Your Lenses are for D7000

gwenhael appere wrote:

Hi guys,

Standard dilemna...i've got a D300s, that i'm using with 16-85VR, Sigma 10-20 and 50-500 OS. I like shooting landscapes, night/low ISO shots, as well as birding.

Your lenses will perform much better with D7000, a better sensor. The 50-500 is not a fast lens either.

The D300s will show better when used as a sport camera with fast lens such as 70-200mm. The AF system can not be matched by D7000.

But the differences are trivial,
except for the AF system that D300s is of professional class.

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,232

No contest. ISO 100 is a thing of beauty.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Bob Moulton Regular Member • Posts: 132

I faced this problem after the D7000 became available, though I had a D300, not a D300s. I bought the D7000. I find that its image quality better, and the Live View is quite nice, though I would like to be able to activate “info” while in Live View.

My sole problem is the bracketing. I am accustomed to the 5-7 stop range on the D300 and fined the 2 stop range a problem.

I use the camera like a view camera; 60-70% of my images are made on tripod, with careful reviewing on monitor or laptop. Handheld the smaller camera is easier to hold and use when shooting action, sports, animals, people, portraits, etc And as an extra bonus it fits on my Gigapan..
The D300? It is my backup, in case with battery out waiting for use.
--
Bob M

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,089

rpps wrote:

I can't understand all the hype about better noise levels at higher ISO's with the D7000, gee do you need a camera too be able to take photos in complete darkness, if it's that dark put a flash on.

Well, life is not that simple for everyone in every situation. Besides, a flash has just a short range; even my SB-900 is limited. Another disadvantage of your "solution" is that a flash will always give uneven light, as opposed to natural light, which is if not shaded or blocked is nice and even. Flash is just a spot light, is many times very useful and necessary indoors but has limited use outdoors. You should not confuse flash and high ISO, the one does not exclude the need of the other.

I took a few photos last night it was very dark the cars had their headlight on and at 1600 ISO I thought the photos from my D300s very acceptable, looked much lighter in the photos than what my eyes could see.

That is not really taken in dark... in the shade yes, but definitely not in the dark.

On the second photo I used a bit of Topaz Denoise, excuse the camera shake as I was shooting out of the car .

What is the difference between the first and the second? A slightly less noise in the second but the first has more detail.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads