OSS vs. Image Stablization

Started Jun 12, 2011 | Discussions
foody1000 Forum Member • Posts: 73
OSS vs. Image Stablization

What's the difference between OSS and Image Stablization? The SEL1855 says Optical Steady Shot on the lens itself, but (according to B&H and Photozone) does not have image stablization. The SEL18200 has both. I always thought OSS and Image Stablization were two difference ways to describe the samething. Please enlighten me if you can. Thanks.

GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 9,659
Re: OSS vs. Image Stablization

foody1000 wrote:

What's the difference between OSS and Image Stablization? The SEL1855 says Optical Steady Shot on the lens itself, but (according to B&H and Photozone) does not have image stablization. The SEL18200 has both. I always thought OSS and Image Stablization were two difference ways to describe the samething. Please enlighten me if you can. Thanks.

OSS is IS. It's in lens is as opposed to in body.
--
Gary W.

 GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 +10 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 12,174
Re: OSS vs. Image Stablization

IS means Image Stabilization.

In Body is refered to as IBIS, in lens often as OIS (O for Optical).

Sony markets two technologies:

  • OSS - (Optical) SteadyShot - this is essentially an in lenss OIS stabilization technique.

  • SSS - SuperSteadyShot - this is an advanced version of OSS.

OSS works only during still images, it counteracts camera shake.

SSS goes a lot further, it tries to balance camera movement - pan, tilt, etc.

SSS was developed for video applications, it has no use for still images.

The SEL1855 has only OSS, the SEL18200 has both OSS and SSS.

If you are considering making handheld video, the SSS (SEL18200) is really a must, otherwise -for still images- both lenses perform equally, both in image stabilization techniques and in optical performance. The 1855 only as 3x zoom, whereas the 18200 has 11x zoom.

 blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7R II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +35 more
The Lotus Eater
The Lotus Eater Regular Member • Posts: 415
Re: OSS vs. Image Stablization

blue_skies wrote:

IS means Image Stabilization.

In Body is refered to as IBIS, in lens often as OIS (O for Optical).

Sony markets two technologies:

  • OSS - (Optical) SteadyShot - this is essentially an in lenss OIS stabilization technique.

  • SSS - SuperSteadyShot - this is an advanced version of OSS.

OSS works only during still images, it counteracts camera shake.

SSS goes a lot further, it tries to balance camera movement - pan, tilt, etc.

SSS was developed for video applications, it has no use for still images.

The SEL1855 has only OSS, the SEL18200 has both OSS and SSS

If you are considering making handheld video, the SSS (SEL18200) is really a must, otherwise -for still images- both lenses perform equally, both in image stabilization techniques and in optical performance. The 1855 only as 3x zoom, whereas the 18200 has 11x zoom.

I'm confused about a couple of statements in your post. If the SEL1855 has only OSS, and OSS works only during still images, how come I get stabilised video with the SEL1855?

Have Sony redesignated the term SuperSteadyShot? All my past Alphas have SSS, yet have no video capabilities.

 The Lotus Eater's gear list:The Lotus Eater's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
gfrensen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627
Re: OSS vs. Image Stablization

The Lotus Eater wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

IS means Image Stabilization.

In Body is refered to as IBIS, in lens often as OIS (O for Optical).

Sony markets two technologies:

  • OSS - (Optical) SteadyShot - this is essentially an in lenss OIS stabilization technique.

  • SSS - SuperSteadyShot - this is an advanced version of OSS.

OSS works only during still images, it counteracts camera shake.

SSS goes a lot further, it tries to balance camera movement - pan, tilt, etc.

SSS was developed for video applications, it has no use for still images.

The SEL1855 has only OSS, the SEL18200 has both OSS and SSS

If you are considering making handheld video, the SSS (SEL18200) is really a must, otherwise -for still images- both lenses perform equally, both in image stabilization techniques and in optical performance. The 1855 only as 3x zoom, whereas the 18200 has 11x zoom.

I'm confused about a couple of statements in your post. If the SEL1855 has only OSS, and OSS works only during still images, how come I get stabilised video with the SEL1855?

The 18-55 uses OSS in video mode, only the 18-200 has an improved IS for video, this makes videos even better....

Have Sony redesignated the term SuperSteadyShot? All my past Alphas have SSS, yet have no video capabilities.

SSS on Alphas is the IBIS version, nothing to do with video.

As far as I found is Sony using OSS for the E-mount lenses with build in IS and SSS for IBIS on the Alphas

The Lotus Eater
The Lotus Eater Regular Member • Posts: 415
Re: OSS vs. Image Stablization

gfrensen wrote:

The Lotus Eater wrote:

I'm confused about a couple of statements in your post. If the SEL1855 has only OSS, and OSS works only during still images, how come I get stabilised video with the SEL1855?

The 18-55 uses OSS in video mode, only the 18-200 has an improved IS for video, this makes videos even better....

I'm aware of that, but blue_skies suggested OSS didn't work in video mode.

Have Sony redesignated the term SuperSteadyShot? All my past Alphas have SSS, yet have no video capabilities.

SSS on Alphas is the IBIS version, nothing to do with video.

I'm aware of that too, but I'm confused by blue_skies' reference to SuperSteadyShot on the NEX system.

 The Lotus Eater's gear list:The Lotus Eater's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 12,174
Re: OSS vs. Image Stablization

See for yourself:

Youtube stores compressed (sampled down) video format, but the difference is very noticeable, in all formats.

 blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7R II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +35 more
gfrensen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627
Re: OSS vs. Image Stablization

As said before, the IS for video of the 18-200 is way better then the IS for video from the 18-55. But the 18-55 IS stabelized.

blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 12,174
Re: OSS vs. Image Stablization

gfrensen wrote:

As said before, the IS for video of the 18-200 is way better then the IS for video from the 18-55. But the 18-55 IS stabelized.

you are probably correct, I am referring to my observations with this lens. The SEL18200 using a different video smoothing technique. My understanding was that Sony was marketing these as SteadyShot and SuperSteadyShot, but I could be wrong on this.

Sony uses the term Active Mode in their description:

From the doc sheet:

  • Optical SteadyShot™ w/ Active Mode Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization with Active Mode(3) compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video

(3). Active Mode image stabilization feature is within the SEL18200 lens only.

 blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7R II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +35 more
The Lotus Eater
The Lotus Eater Regular Member • Posts: 415
Re: OSS vs. Image Stablization

Yes, the 18-55mm definitely has OIS in both photo and video mode, so the description in the YouTube link is incorrect. The 18-200mm is better because of Active Mode however.

As far as I know SuperSteadyShot has only ever been used to describe sensor based stabilisation, not the lens based stabilisation in the NEX.

 The Lotus Eater's gear list:The Lotus Eater's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
Myari Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: OSS vs. Image Stablization

The Lotus Eater wrote:

Yes, the 18-55mm definitely has OIS in both photo and video mode, so the description in the YouTube link is incorrect. The 18-200mm is better because of Active Mode however.

As far as I know SuperSteadyShot has only ever been used to describe sensor based stabilisation, not the lens based stabilisation in the NEX.

That's correct. SSS is acronym for IBIS in DSLR/SLT line. That has nothing to do with E-mount.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads