Finally got my X100......I Love this Camera

Started Jun 4, 2011 | Discussions
PNK Regular Member • Posts: 105
Finally got my X100......I Love this Camera

Just came back from spending a week in Hawaii on Oahu. I went with X100 only, and left my bulky gear at home.

I'm personally starting to like one of this cameras weaknesses. Its slowness is to my advantage. After spending years shooting D3, my mentality about photography became such that I want my shots and I want them now. D3 takes care of that really well. But X100 slows me down in a good way where I'm forced to take my time and frame, meter and expose. Almost like the film days where every shot got its treatment.

I had the camera in manual and shot all raw. Post processed in LR2 with minimal adjustments in WB, Vibrance to mimic the Velvia film, split ND, sharpness and export.

I'm finding that this camera produces some of the best OOC jpeg images I've seen so far.
Check out my link and let me know what you think.

Thanx for looking and happy shooting!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pnkirdan/sets/72157626880854192/

Matt Swanson Regular Member • Posts: 170
Re: Finally got my X100......I Love this Camera

Good god, man! Fantastic shots. Love the processing, the colors are spectacular.

Ironically, with all that color popping, my favorite shot is " DSF0569", the one with the tree and the rain clouds...truly spectacular.

Thanks for sharing!

-Swanson

sparkie Contributing Member • Posts: 664

Looks great! What film settings were you using?

is DSF0909 (coconut trees with red sunset) shot in velvia simulation? - was it shot like that or did you crank up the reds

OP PNK Regular Member • Posts: 105

Matt, that shot is one of my favorites as well. I took this shot as we were going around the island and just around the corner came up on it. Later that week, my wife and I saw this shot at a gallery in Waikiki in monochrome for $1.5K. I was really surprised to see same angle and subject.

sparkie wrote:

is DSF0909 (coconut trees with red sunset) shot in velvia simulation? - was it shot like that or did you crank up the reds

Thanx. I used Velvia but I shot raw so not sure if settings transfered.

For that shot, I underexposed by about 2 F-stops then recovered it in LR. The glow was there by using Kelvin WB settings but I had to bump it up a bit do to underexposure.

Donald B
Donald B Veteran Member • Posts: 7,248

awsome pics, i had a play with one 2 weeks ago and was very impressed buy it. will
be getting one soon.

cheers don

sparkie Contributing Member • Posts: 664

PNK wrote:

sparkie wrote:

For that shot, I underexposed by about 2 F-stops then recovered it in LR. The glow was there by using Kelvin WB settings but I had to bump it up a bit do to underexposure.

ok so none of these flickr images were in-camera jpegs?

why did you underexpose by 2 stops? -- you could have used -EV? also high ISO is very good on this cam

Matt Swanson Regular Member • Posts: 170

I hope you went in and showed the buyers yours...told them you'd sell it for $1.2k

UNDERBID!

Great stuff. Looking forward to more from you.

-Swanson

minguela
minguela Regular Member • Posts: 163

Wooowww! great series. Great composition. Love your photography style. The X100 really delivers. Thanks for sharing.
--

My Flickr Photo Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/minguela/

johnkkraus Junior Member • Posts: 45

A thumbs up is in the works specifically designed for the X100.
--
John Kraus

sparkie wrote:

PNK wrote:

sparkie wrote:

ok so none of these flickr images were in-camera jpegs?

why did you underexpose by 2 stops? -- you could have used -EV? also high ISO is very good on this cam

All images were shot in raw and manual mode. In this case, -EV doesn't do anything for you when you shoot manual. I wanted to creat heavy silhouettes so I had to underexpose.

minguela wrote:

Wooowww! great series. Great composition. Love your photography style. The X100 really delivers. Thanks for sharing.
--

My Flickr Photo Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/minguela/

Thanx!

Matt Swanson wrote:

I hope you went in and showed the buyers yours...told them you'd sell it for $1.2k

UNDERBID!

Great stuff. Looking forward to more from you.

-Swanson

LOL. It felt nice to know I have something identical in my camera. All of a sudden, my X100 just felt more special at that moment

Donald B wrote:

awsome pics, i had a play with one 2 weeks ago and was very impressed buy it. will
be getting one soon.

cheers don

Glad you enjoyed them.

ATAR1 Regular Member • Posts: 241

good stuff! i'll be back in hawaii next month... looking forward to it (it's home).

did you make good use of the built in ND filter??

ATAR1's gear list:ATAR1's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a5100 +6 more
Teski
Teski Forum Pro • Posts: 13,060
Very well done PNK

Great set full of beautiful colors! You've done an awesome job capturing the beauty of the islands!

Thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Teski
Photo-A-Day project - http://www.blipfoto.com/miketedesco
Professional site - http://www.tedescophotography.com

Teski's gear list:Teski's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Canon EOS-1D X Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha a7R II +8 more
Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,773

Please explain this.

PNK wrote:

I had the camera in manual and shot all raw. ...

So how come this? ;

I'm finding that this camera produces some of the best OOC jpeg images I've seen so far.

( OOC is commonly used to mean in-camera produced Jpegs )

Goldenmom Forum Member • Posts: 63

Fantastic set! I favorited several. I went to the Big Island with only my D-Lux 5 and got some great shots, but yours are definitely better. Now I want an X100 and another trip to Hawaii

In Search of Light Regular Member • Posts: 107
Re: WOW!!

This is probably the BEST set of pictures I have seen so far from the x100. Of course, it's the photographer who makes all the difference, so congratulations Absolutely stunning photography!

One question: are you using a UV filter on your x100? How about the lens hood? I have had my x100 for a month but hesitant to use it because I haven't received my lens hood & adapter yet so I can't put the filter on....

If you use a filter, how does it look on the x100? Does it ruin the looks of the camera?

-- hide signature --

Always searching for that one perfect picture...

howardfuhrman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,033

Impressive series of photos - no matter what camera they were taken with. I agree with some of prior posters, these are best photos that I have seen posted taken by the x100. I say that these photos look as good as the X100 which is GREAT!!!

After I post this thread, I will look at your Hawaii X100 gallery again -- definitely worth a second look.
--
Howard
http://www.photo.net/photos/howardfuhrman

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads