Wasn't today supposed to be the big Sony announcement day ?

Started Jun 4, 2011 | Discussions
csbrown Contributing Member • Posts: 600
Wasn't today supposed to be the big Sony announcement day ?

I've been a member of dpreview since 2001, you would think that I would stop listening to "rumors"

Still buying the Nex-5 regardless of an announcement about a new camera or not. Summer 2011 only comes around once!

mauthbaux Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: Wasn't today supposed to be the big Sony announcement day ?

It was supposed to be a big announcement according to Sonyalpharumors. Yesterday though, this was posted:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-huge-rumor-correction-a35-and-nex-c3-announcement-on-june-8th-not-on-june-3th/

Personally, I'm getting a bit impatient for new firmware and lenses...

mauthbaux's gear list:mauthbaux's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +14 more
Grant Senior Member • Posts: 1,976

mauthbaux wrote:

Personally, I'm getting a bit impatient for new firmware and lenses...

Not interested in firmware...just give us a 35mm 1.4 at a good price

Grant's gear list:Grant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +14 more
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,494

Grant wrote:

You don't want the peaking function that is supposed to be in the rumored firmware update?

Personally, I want some fast high optical quality wide angle pancakes.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +49 more

GodSpeaks wrote:

Grant wrote:

You don't want the peaking function that is supposed to be in the rumored firmware update?

No...manual focus just isn't exciting. Seems more of a step back or a consolation for not bringing out AF lenses. I think the whole camera/lens combo is too small to fiddle with MF. I avoid MF on my DSLRs...brings back those crappy film days.

I like to include people in my shots so 24mm is pushing the wide side. The 16mm sony is a nice start but ...GIVE US MORE SONY!!!!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +14 more
gfrensen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627

GIVE US MORE SONY!!!!

I'm reqading this kind of hreads for quite som e time now. Every body seems to know what Sony should bring out. And you know what? Everybody wants something different. So when Sony will come with a nice 35mm f1.x loens for a good price others willo be dissapointed that it is not a 70-300mm zoom lens with high otical and build quality, or others will ask here what Sony is thinking, everybodey knows that a 11mm 2.8 les is the mos important to bring out now, or is it the 500mm f4 with fast focussing, or a real macro lens, or a......

Well how much I love to see new things for the Nex I don't expect them to come out sooner when I start to tekl this forum what Sony should do...

gfrensen wrote:
GIVE US MORE SONY!!!!

I'm reqading this kind of hreads for quite som e time now. Every body seems to know what Sony should bring out. And you know what? Everybody wants something different. So when Sony will come with a nice 35mm f1.x loens for a good price others willo be dissapointed that it is not a 70-300mm zoom lens with high otical and build quality, or others will ask here what Sony is thinking, everybodey knows that a 11mm 2.8 les is the mos important to bring out now, or is it the 500mm f4 with fast focussing, or a real macro lens, or a......

Well how much I love to see new things for the Nex I don't expect them to come out sooner when I start to tekl this forum what Sony should do...

What kind of a camera system today (wanting to compete) offers three af lenses and calls it a year? None..that's how many. Sony isn't new to this game but they are playing like NOOBs. So for us who want them to wake up and offer a nice selection of lenses,we're not being arrogant. It's not like they need to go out on a R&D limb here.....comprender amigo?

gfrensen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627

Grant wrote:

gfrensen wrote:
GIVE US MORE SONY!!!!

What kind of a camera system today (wanting to compete) offers three af lenses and calls it a year?

Strangely enough is Sony the best selling mirrorles brand at this moment...

None..that's how many. Sony isn't new to this game but they are playing like NOOBs. So for us who want them to wake up and offer a nice selection of lenses,we're not being arrogant.

I'm not calling anybody arrogant. I just stated that what ever Sony will bring out in the coming years people will tell that it is the wrong lens or what ever, as they want something else for the Nex. There are a lot of people and not everybody wants the same thing. I for example am totaly NOT interested in primes or pancake lenses, but others are. I hope Sony will adress all of us in the future.n I only think Sony will not change their strategy for people here telling them what to do. I understand some of us here are wanting Sony to go faster, but well it is not in our hands is it?

It's not like they need to go out on a R&D limb here.....comprender amigo?

Well I do understandd people wants more and more, just like you. So again I hope Sony will deliver to all of us soon.

Consumers...me included..are demanding (profound huh?) we want it all and we want it delivered yesterday. Yep Sony's on top now ? I wouldn't know for sure but that's all the more reason to get off their behinds and produce....like the rest of us.

Kiril Karaatanasov Senior Member • Posts: 2,087

I think you both will be bitterly disappointed.

A. 35/1.4 will be obscenly expensive if/when released. Ok relative that is. You can see any AF 35/1.4 they do not trade below 800 Euro

B. NEX pencakes are not going to be. Compact lenses may be. Pancakes - I do not think so.

Remember that NEX is much smaller then any other camera so lenses have to take this margin.

Not really a problem since the combo NEX + Lens will be same size as Samsung but lens will not be pancake. Which may be better the addiotnal space certaily will give engineers some room for better optical designs.

GodSpeaks wrote:

Grant wrote:

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads