geotagging for 5d mark ii

Started Jun 3, 2011 | Discussions
systemguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,059
geotagging for 5d mark ii

Hello

Does anybody make a geotagging modeul for the 5dm2?

thanks.

systemguy's gear list:systemguy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 +17 more
peter008 Regular Member • Posts: 139
Only with WFT

Unlike Nikon, Canon doesn't provide connector for gps. You'll need to buy separate WFT-attachment - it has usb-port that gps can use.

samWebster123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,153
Re: geotagging for 5d mark ii

I use wintec wbt201 -bluetooth transfer to computer, very small unit and highly sensitive.

samWebster123's gear list:samWebster123's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM +4 more
daMatrix Contributing Member • Posts: 863

You can use any gps device with the camera, as long as time is synchronised (or atleast the difference is known).

Afterwards one can synchonize gps recordings and photos; There is a wide choice of software that can read info from gps and insert it in IPTC or .xml of the photo file.

The downside I experienced was the lack of rules and standard among software to handle iptc and xml in photofiles. So I spend many hours adding location names to photos with location coordinates to find out that editing the same iptc record with another program erased all the gps labor.

Bottom line is iptc and xml are far from matured and thus my approach is, save and store the gps file with coordinates in folder with images for future reference. But do not bother to insert this info in the file, unless...Unless you write the location name in the title/headline (this is another problem with iptc, programs have different names for same iptc fields)

Timzee Senior Member • Posts: 1,036

daMatrix wrote:

Bottom line is iptc and xml are far from matured and thus my approach is, save and store the gps file with coordinates in folder with images for future reference. But do not bother to insert this info in the file,

Exactly what I do. I've a .gpx log file for each session where I want to sync to images. Just take a picture of the exact time on my handheld Garmin, then a few clicks in Lightroom to adjust the image info to account for any offset.

OvinceZ
OvinceZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,725
Here is the setup.

You also need a GPS unit. I got mine from Asia.

The photo shows the assembly with RRS L bracket. I now reverse the GPS unit and have the cable come around the lens. This way the GPS unit stays put instead of working its way out on occasion.

When you carry several cameras the added weight of the wireless unit makes it a bit too heavy so I end up not bothering most of the time. In addition you have to make sure the wireless unit is ready and then before taking photos have to wait for the light to go on indicating a location has been detected. Good when you need data but way too big.

Pentax just released a GPS unit. Canon needs something like this.

Vince
--
http://ovincez.smugmug.com

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III +15 more
dmn83 New Member • Posts: 2

Hey guys, I'm going on a trip to Europe for the first time and just bought a 5dmkII. I'm very interested in getting a unit like the wintec wbt201 but have no idea where to start. Could you go into detail about how to sync the coordinates with the photos after the trip?

robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,861

I've used two programmes for this:
http://www.geosetter.de/en/

• freeware

• can show tracks

• uses exiftool, which means you can edit times if you're camera clock is off or just plain wrong [Timezone, daylight saving]

http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/index.htm

• $30

• primarily a downloading / renaming utility [very versatile]

• can create tracks for google

I mainly use the latter nowadays: copy the gps track from your logger to your PC, tell the programme where to find it and you're done. It compares the time the shot was taken to the place you were according to the gps and writes those coordinates to the appropiate exif fields.

Both programmes can do automatic placename look-up, but I've more or less given up on that:

• as written above it seems they can be placed in different fields; for instance the placenames geosetter finds don't show up in PS Bridge

• they use a free service for the placenames which is not very good [puts my street in the wrong part of the city]

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS
peter008 Regular Member • Posts: 139
Embedded geodata is hassle-free

That's why I bought WFT in the first place: geodata is stored automatically and instantly into exif fields inside the photo. Jpeg- and raw-files always have correct geodata information. No hassle, no problems.

What Canon should do is to add Bluetooth receiver into future camera bodies. Thus you could use separate gps receiver. I'm surprised that no manufacturer has thought of this yet.

daMatrix Contributing Member • Posts: 863

robert1955 wrote:

Both programmes can do automatic placename look-up, but I've more or less given up on that:

• as written above it seems they can be placed in different fields; for instance the placenames geosetter finds don't show up in PS Bridge

• they use a free service for the placenames which is not very good [puts my street in the wrong part of the city]

And because the naming service is free, sometimes commercial names of restaurants and hotels are inserted instead of what willl last forever; The street name.

That said, as far as I know no gps device either small or large does record street / road names. They record coordinates.

So the gps blues others experienced just like I are boiled down to;

• Photoshop creating an IPTC standard and not sticking to this itself.

• Lack of reliable freeware coordinate to streetname services. It is however possible to sign up to a commercial service.

DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,214
Uncompetitive Canon appears too stupid to do this

Yet again, Canon is being left far behind by its competition. Even an earthquake may not be enough to, uh, shake things up. Too bad. I'm tired of carrying a Garmin and then running software to sync the data and stuff it into the CR2 RAW files.

DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,861
Re: Uncompetitive Canon appears too stupid to do this

Well, I'm carrying two dslr's, both of them having gps logging would be redundant and battery consuming. I also need the garmin etrex for other things, which no camera can do.

The only extra thing to do is to download the track file, the rest is taken care of by DLP.

Two cameras may be a special case, but I think it is a special case within a special case: geotagging is not something the vast majority of camera users need or want.

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS
DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,214
Ok, change 'too stupid' to 'intellectually incapable'

I feel better already!

DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
Awesomejt Regular Member • Posts: 292
Using smart phone app

I've been geo tagging photos for a couple years. I shoot mainly in RAW and this is my process:

In the field: Use the appropriate iPhone app for recording geolocation data. Depending on if I need continuous logging or periodic logging -- there's an app for that.

Import:

1. Import CR2 files with breeze's downloader pro using GPS logs downloaded from my iPhone (using a geologging app)

2. Clean up any GPS gaps and add geolocation meta data with GeoSetter. It creates XML sidecar files.

3. Import (copy as DNG) photos to final location and into catalog with Lightroom -- sidecar metadata is saved into DNG files during import.

4. Archive CR2/XML sidecar files (just in case), do all work using the DNG files.

Also, if I shoot in somewhere I have saved as a "favorite" location in GeoSetter -- I don't bother geo logging at that place.

Using a smartphone app will SUCK battery life. That's why I have multiple apps -- some do a better job of continuous tracking (big drain), while others only update your position based on a time interval or major change in position. On my iPhone 3GS, I can get about 4 hours of constant gps tracking before battery reaches 20%. The iPhone 4 has a much improved gps sensor which uses much less power, but still something to be aware of.
--
Jason Taylor
http://www.jasongtaylor.com
http://www.jasonslog.com
Columbia, SC USA
Equipment in profile

robt61x49
robt61x49 Contributing Member • Posts: 675

If you have an iPhone (or an Android, I think) take a look at GPS4cam app http://gps4cam.com/

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,092

Geotagging with a smart phone tends to consume amazing amounts of battery power. I can't even get a full day out of a charge on my new 4G phone when running the GPS. So now I use an AMOD geologger which can run for two or more days on one set of rechargeable AAA batteries

dmn83 New Member • Posts: 2

Thanks a lot!

Andrew Hughes Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: Using smart phone app

I do much the same except with an Android phone and Google's free MyTracks. I can easily get six hours from my HTC desire in continuous tracking. I also use downloader pro and geosetter for ingestion. The sidecar files sit nicely with my iMatch database and also work with any raw converter ( I mostly use Bibble 5).

To me it is too much hassle to have all the kit attached to the camera - just leave the phone in your pocket and have a spare battery with you in case of emergency (Oops - you cannot do that with an iPhone - oh well buy a decent phone )

Andrew from Addis

Andrew Hughes's gear list:Andrew Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2
Anthropic_Principle Regular Member • Posts: 125

I'm using the Jobo photoGPS ( http://www.jobo.com/web/photoGPS.447.0.html ).

It works very well and the included software is able to geotag (with GPS coordinates) and tag (with the address) JPGs and CR2s.
--
Anthropic_Principle

Unregistered Coward Forum Member • Posts: 58

AGL3080 GPS Photo Tracker. I just turn it on and clip it to the side of my bag, belt or toss it on the car seat.

End of day I can sync the photos with the data log. With 4 DSLR cameras, two point and shoots plus a gaggle of phones/pods/tablets it proves the simplest and most effective solution.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads