Helios 44 58/2 M39 mount ?

Started Jun 3, 2011 | Discussions
OP kaktusss Regular Member • Posts: 417
Re: newer J8s not bad.

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Yes. I had a modern I-61, it was awful. The original version was by far the best - basically an improved I-26 with rare earth glass and better coatings but keeping the 10-blade aperture and good build quality of the I-26. Poor QA and even cheaper construction made the later versions of the I-61 something of a lottery.

I actually found one that looks like yours !
I also bought an old J-8 (with a red Π symbol).
I'll certainly post a comparison in a few weeks

Any advice on how to clean these old aluminum barrels ? I've seen that yours looks shiny.

John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035

kaktusss wrote:

I actually found one that looks like yours !
I also bought an old J-8 (with a red Π symbol).
I'll certainly post a comparison in a few weeks

Nice

Any advice on how to clean these old aluminum barrels ? I've seen that yours looks shiny.

I simply used metal polish. The "wadding" type sold for motorcycles is convenient and works in seconds with minimal effort. Use sparingly and only on all-alloy lenses with engraved lettering.

John Bean (UK)'s gear list:John Bean (UK)'s gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS

John Bean (UK) wrote:

I simply used metal polish. The "wadding" type sold for motorcycles is convenient and works in seconds with minimal effort. Use sparingly and only on all-alloy lenses with engraved lettering.

OK thanks, I'll try that !

boardsy Senior Member • Posts: 2,215
Re: Helios 44 58/2 M39 mount ?

The Industar-61 52/2.8 was the ffirst manual lens i ever used and i loved the results, but i fear it's one of those frankenstein cameras made out of spare lens parts, because the part that screws to the adapter isn't centered properly and gets stuck often while focusing, which can accidentally unscrew the lens from the camera! It's this type:

A good copy, or mine if i can fix it, could be a really great lens i think, very light also:

The aluminium version is rumoured to be better, and not cobbled together. Also, never forget to compare your lens quality against the kit 18-55 if you have it; it's not the smallest but is still a very nice and light lens!

Alan

Hey Alan,
I missed your answer (dpreview should really add email notifications).
Thanks for the info. Nice pics !
Actually, I went on a shopping spree

I bought these 3 lenses, can't wait to receive them :

I'll compare these with my 3 Minolta 50mm (1.4, 2.0 and 3.5), should be interesting !

This time, I'll do a real condition bokeh test in addition to the sharpness test.

kaktusss wrote:

Actually, I went on a shopping spree

This time, I'll do a real condition bokeh test in addition to the sharpness test.

Good idea. Sharpness isn't everything; it's not even top of me list when choosing a lens.

PS: I like the look of that silver J-8. I've never had one of those, I suspect I'd like it more than the horrible little black one I had

PPS: I bet at least two of them (probably all three) need re-greasing. Fortunately it's easy

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Good idea. Sharpness isn't everything; it's not even top of me list when choosing a lens.

Yes, only a few reviewers do it, maybe because it's a matter of taste more than technical quality.

PPS: I bet at least two of them (probably all three) need re-greasing. Fortunately it's easy

Oh really ? I've never had to do it with my previous lenses.

I've bought some "Brasso" wadding polish as you advised, what (cheap & good) grease is the best (I don't want to dismantle my lenses every year :)) ?

kaktusss wrote:

Oh really ? I've never had to do it with my previous lenses.

From Russia? You must be lucky. They used some kind of animal grease that dries up over time.

I've bought some "Brasso" wadding polish as you advised, what (cheap & good) grease is the best (I don't want to dismantle my lenses every year :)) ?

I use ordinary lithium grease - the general-purpose kind used for cars, etc.

It's not always needed though; if the focus feels loose with "sticky" patches as you turn it then the old grease is there but dried up. A few drops of lighter fluid/fuel (Ronsonal, say) and a bit of to and fro of the focus ring often does a good job without dismantling. I had to do this to all my I-61 variants and only had to actually re-grease one of them.

John Bean (UK) wrote:

From Russia? You must be lucky. They used some kind of animal grease that dries up over time.

No, I have 4 Minolta MC/MD lenses and 1 C/Y Vivitar Series 1. I guess they're all from the 70's. It's because one day, I asked to myself : Why did you buy a Nex to put bulky adapters and lenses on it ? They're great, but sometimes I want to keep it light&compact. Some people look at my NEX+Minolta 50/1.4 and think : what the xxxx is this frankenstein thing, it doesn't even zoom ! That's why I've had a look at these tiny russian lenses, so that people let me in peace with my small "P&S like".

I use ordinary lithium grease - the general-purpose kind used for cars, etc.

It's not always needed though; if the focus feels loose with "sticky" patches as you turn it then the old grease is there but dried up. A few drops of lighter fluid/fuel (Ronsonal, say) and a bit of to and fro of the focus ring often does a good job without dismantling. I had to do this to all my I-61 variants and only had to actually re-grease one of them.

OK, thanks again for your help, I'm new to this. Actually I didn't even know what "Legacy" meant a few months ago, I feel like a rustic geek now

uhoh07 Senior Member • Posts: 1,580

boardsy wrote:

The Industar-61 52/2.8 was the ffirst manual lens i ever used and i loved the results, but i fear it's one of those frankenstein cameras made out of spare lens parts, because the part that screws to the adapter isn't centered properly and gets stuck often while focusing, which can accidentally unscrew the lens from the camera! It's this type:

A good copy, or mine if i can fix it, could be a really great lens i think, very light also:

The aluminium version is rumoured to be better, and not cobbled together. Also, never forget to compare your lens quality against the kit 18-55 if you have it; it's not the smallest but is still a very nice and light lens!
Alan

Boy yours looks decent. They are easy to relube--tutorial on the net.

j8

bout f8

f/2:

uhoh07's gear list:uhoh07's gear list
Leica M9 Sony Alpha a7R

kaktusss wrote:

Hey Alan,
I missed your answer (dpreview should really add email notifications).

WoW, they did it !
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1106/11061415dpreviewemailupdates.asp

boardsy Senior Member • Posts: 2,215

uhoh07 wrote:

boardsy wrote:

A good copy, or mine if i can fix it, could be a really great lens i think, very light also

Boy yours looks decent. They are easy to relube--tutorial on the net.

Yeah, great results from it (and those were my first ever attempts at manual focus!), but it's not a re-lubing issue, i've already done that - like i said, the mount screw-on part isn't centered perfectly, and gets stuck when focusing, unscrewing the lens from the adapter! Your J8 looks like a great copy also.

Alan

I received the 3 lenses.

I'm still waiting for the adapter, but for now, the 2 jupiter lenses seem to be in better shape. The industar has a lot of play on the apterture ring and the focus ring is not smooth at all.

kaktusss wrote:

I received the 3 lenses.

I'm still waiting for the adapter, but for now, the 2 jupiter lenses seem to be in better shape. The industar has a lot of play on the apterture ring and the focus ring is not smooth at all.

That's normal. The I-61 aperture ring always feels loose (did on all of mine, anyway) but works fine. Does yours have click stops and 10 blades? If so it's the "good" old version. Try working a few drops of lighter fluid into the focus helix and surprise yourself

John Bean (UK) wrote:

That's normal. The I-61 aperture ring always feels loose (did on all of mine, anyway) but works fine. Does yours have click stops and 10 blades? If so it's the "good" old version. Try working a few drops of lighter fluid into the focus helix and surprise yourself

It has 10 blades, but no click stops. I've had a closer look at it, it had dust inside

When I took a pic, there was a lot of bloom / light glow. I guess I'll have to return it.

Another strange thing is that the I-61 and the old J-8 have their marks on the bottom :

Is it because of my adapter ?

kaktusss wrote:

It has 10 blades, but no click stops. I've had a closer look at it, it had dust inside

Sorry. that's what I meant - no click stops. That's definitely the "best" version I found. Shame about the condition of yours though.

Another strange thing is that the I-61 and the old J-8 have their marks on the bottom :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54923/IMAG0205.jpg

Is it because of my adapter ?

Yes. With the lens mounted slacken the three grub screws around the adapter just enough so that you can rotate the lens to the correct place, then re-tighten.

Simple

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Yes. With the lens mounted slacken the three grub screws around the adapter just enough so that you can rotate the lens to the correct place, then re-tighten.

Simple

Thanks !

My Industar-61 sample confirmed its weaknesses.
Here are a few samples, no PP at all.
I-61 @ f8

J-8 @ f8

I-61 @ f2.8 Strong flare

J-8 @ f2.8 Less flare

I-61 With my hand as a hood

J-8 With my hand as a hood

It gives a HDR/bloom effect like in video games.

I don't know where it comes from, maybe because of the cleaning marks on the front glass (there are a lot) ?

kaktusss wrote:

My Industar-61 sample confirmed its weaknesses.

Yes, that's one sick I-61. Send it back.

Damovich Contributing Member • Posts: 897

Hi kaktus,

Another interesting lens for portraits is the Pentacon 50mm f1.8 as its very cheap and has a lot of quality, for instance it has enough sharpness wide open, atleast mine has. These lenses can be bought reasonably cheap on the bay but make sure to get one with working aperture blades cause these lenses can be prone to sticky blades.

Both wide open at f/1.8 but not with a NEX but in front of the Panasonic G1

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads