I normally defend Ken Rockwell

Started Jun 2, 2011 | Discussions
photo perzon
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,629
I normally defend Ken Rockwell

But this he wrote has me dumbfounded about why he covers his lenses with tape to not show info...what???

it is in his website at kenrockwell

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Apple iPhone X
nelsonal Senior Member • Posts: 2,464
Re: I normally defend Ken Rockwell

I don't but I can understand it, not everyone wants to be a walking billboard for a brand name. I've thought about filling in the lettering on the body with black wax and taping over the lens cover lettering. I've pulled sewn on labels off the outside of sportswear before.

Mike Worley
Mike Worley Senior Member • Posts: 1,486
He explains it pretty well

photo perzon wrote:

But this he wrote has me dumbfounded about why he covers his lenses with tape to not show info...what???

Here's an edited version of what he said:

"A reader asks why does he see black electrical tape over the lettering of half of my lenses?

"Simple: I don't like to advertise. It's a tough world out there, so I also have the logo of each of my cameras covered in black tape. I try to stay as hidden as possible. I cover all non-essential lettering on everything.

. . . .

"A lesser reason I don't like to advertise is that unlike commercial websites, no one pays me to say nice things about their cameras. . . . I'll be darned if I'm going to walk around the Zoo with a NIKON or whatever logo on me, for free.

. . . .

"Unlike commercial sites, I do this site for you, not for advertisers."

What part of this is unclear?

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: He explains it pretty well

I don't see any problems with that fine by me.

I admire his not being bought out philosophy even if you don't agree with what he writes. It at least appears he's not taking freebies or other perks some review sites do.

I'm still waiting for a DPR full disclosure statement myself but it's not turned up yet.

MusicDoctorDJ Forum Pro • Posts: 12,400
Re: I normally defend Ken Rockwell...(I don't)

photo perzon wrote:

His real reason for black-taping the brand names on his camera gear is probably because he doesn't want the public to know that he really shoots with what he doesn't push on his website!

Ie.- perhaps he doesn't think the Nikon D40 was the best camera made after all . . .

Here is the smiley so you know I'm kidding!

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

• "If your insurance company tells you that you don't need a lawyer . . . hire a lawyer!"

pixseal
pixseal Veteran Member • Posts: 3,364
Re: I never defend Ken Rockwell

It's obviously a DSLR, so why not apply the fake logo of the cheapest, least desirable brand? (Yugo, Yashika, whatever)

BTW, I never found any of KR's advice to be useful, and very rarely accurate. I don't visit his site.
--
-Dave
http://pixseal.com

pixseal's gear list:pixseal's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Edymagno Veteran Member • Posts: 3,424
Re: I never defend Ken Rockwell

Every now and then I visit his site. I don't agree with him half the time but that's not the point. What I like is his eccentric point of view about photography and cameras and that is extremely refreshing in this cookie-cutter world.
Eduardo

Edymagno's gear list:Edymagno's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R III +1 more
Rolo King Regular Member • Posts: 121

You might find this strange but I've met many photojournalists who agree with him for different reasons but usually not the same as his. As an amateur, I've thought about doing this too to cut out some of those "How many megapixels does it have?" kind of questions. We'll see if it works.

Rolo King's gear list:Rolo King's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Nikon D90 Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5
René Schuster Forum Pro • Posts: 14,180
Tape

photo perzon wrote:

Hehe, reminds me of my rich Ex-landlord who did this, too.

But, his motivation to do so was something completely different! He had a nice Leica and had covered the name Leica on the body with some black tape, but he had done it in such an imperfect way that everybody would notice it and ask him what that was good for.

And then you always could hear the same story, something like: Well, you know this a very expensive camera and not everybody can afford one, so I don´t want to look as if was trying to show off or brag about what I can afford to buy, that´s why I´ve covered the name Leica with that piece of tape.

His way of making sure everybody noticed he was shooting a Leica and obviously a rich man who can afford one, lol!

I´d call it "level II" type bragging!

René

PS: What I really like is when I have a Nikkor lens with a Nikon lens cap on my Oly 520, sometimes pretty confusing to some people not really into photography to read Nikon on the lens cap and Olympus on the body, lol!

dos ojos Regular Member • Posts: 455
Re: Tape

If I pay a premium for a Leica when I could have gotten the same camera much cheaper with a Panasonic logo, I want everyone to see it.

Besides, putting tape on that little red logo might damage the resale value if some of that red paint comes off when I remove the tape.

GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,063

I don't do it on the cameras; but I do on the camera bag if it has a major brand name on it. No point in advertising to thieves what it is you're carrying. However, once the camera is out of the bag, anyone with half a brain can see it's not a cheap point and shoot I'm holding. My D90 looks like a Nikon, even with the name covered.

Usually, the most prominent logo is on the camera strap and the lens caps. I use straps with no logo and have blacked out the name on the lens cap at times.

I find Ken often gives some good advice; so I do read his articles and reviews. But then I filter the article through a mental filter made up of some theory, my own experience, and what he said last year which quite often differs from what he's saying this year. When you read his comments on the D3100, you find out what was wrong with the D40 and when the D90 came out we found out what was wrong with the D80.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon G7 X II
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Rockwell has his moments

Of madness and you might not like the no punches pulled remarks but it's a harmless way to earn a living and he likes doing it which is fine by me.

You don't have to agree with him but he's a bit of fresh at times if you look beyond the Nikon lover affair (which it is at times)

Best Rockwell moment by far the tit for tat war Rockwell v Luminous landscape and the follow up attempts including the "yes it matters" article and debate.

That was a TKO for Rockwell and the spirit of the debate was his and his alone. That still sends shivers down the spine of the Canadian site and I for one think the LL completely missed the point.

Nice one Ken!

BRJR Forum Pro • Posts: 13,641

And, so do I.
--
BRJR ....(LOL, some of us are quite satisfied as Hobbyists ..)

BRJR's gear list:BRJR's gear list
Nikon D700 Leica M9 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +21 more
Re: Tape

dos ojos wrote:

If I pay a premium for a Leica when I could have gotten the same camera much cheaper with a Panasonic logo, I want everyone to see it.

Besides, putting tape on that little red logo might damage the resale value if some of that red paint comes off when I remove the tape.

That tape was not on the red dot, but on the word Leica in the middle top of the camera body (before digital).

"I want everyone to see it" - well, another one of our cultural differences. Over here it is seen as proof of a rather primitive low cultural level to show off with what you can afford. Money only doesn´t really count, if it is not accompanied by a good education, good manners, class, etc. The admission ticket to the upper class is not just money, no matter how much you might have. Understatement would be the way to go over here, if you don´t want to be considered to belong to the group of the "newly-rich", just money but no culture.

In the US it might be different, probably based on the philosophy of the Puritans, something like if you live your life the way God wants you to, you sooner or later will be rich, so being rich is nothing you have to hide but is seen as proof that you live in the sense of your religion.

René

rsn48 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,661
What brand tape? I want it to... (nt)
-- hide signature --

An excellent lens lasts a lifetime, an excellent DSLR, not so long.

hesbehindyou Senior Member • Posts: 1,723
OP: You're just drumming up more business

GeraldW wrote:

I find Ken often gives some good advice; so I do read his articles and reviews. But then I filter the article through a mental filter made up of some theory, my own experience, and what he said last year which quite often differs from what he's saying this year. When you read his comments on the D3100, you find out what was wrong with the D40 and when the D90 came out we found out what was wrong with the D80.

The review kit lent to reviewers stops as soon as the positive reviews stop. If they're big enough they'll just go down the priority list. Only the biggest publications get the kit as soon as practicable AND slate it with no consequences.

I like his style and find the reviews entertaining, though too often slanted in the products favour (Canon 18-135 IS springs to mind). DP Review it ain't. I should visit the site more often; ironically a visit is prompted by someone on these forums slating him

"Dymo" embossing tape, black (nt)

rsn48 wrote:

Tom C Veteran Member • Posts: 5,488
Re: LOL, then they will start asking.....

you what camera is that?

Rolo King wrote:

You might find this strange but I've met many photojournalists who agree with him for different reasons but usually not the same as his. As an amateur, I've thought about doing this too to cut out some of those "How many megapixels does it have?" kind of questions. We'll see if it works.

-- hide signature --

Tom
When my bones turn to dust,
and if my CD's didn't rust,
future generations will see my photos
and think that I was nuts.

Tom C Veteran Member • Posts: 5,488
Re: I found.....

bandaids work well.

-- hide signature --

Tom
When my bones turn to dust,