YES ! All GH1s now hackable

Started May 31, 2011 | Discussions
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,846
YES ! All GH1s now hackable

Vitaly has cracked it - all GH1s, even latest manufactured ones, now hackable with the GH13 hack - superb !

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Fujifilm X-H1
LarryPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,612
Re: YES ! All GH1s now hackable

What will this hack allow me to do?

mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094

All video stuff like increasing bit rate, true 24p, and adding full manual video controls to the GF1. If you are not into video then it really just allows you to use the cheap third party batteries.

LarryPhoto wrote:

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Just Having Fun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,869

Here is an idea...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gh1+hack

LarryPhoto wrote:

Where

Where do I go to get the latest hack, both programs for making my V1.34 GH1 into the GH13.

lmeng
lmeng Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: Where

This site has everything you need. Use one of Powell's patches for the best settings.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?206-GH13-The-GH-Firmware-Hack

lmeng's gear list:lmeng's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +9 more
nico-foto
nico-foto Regular Member • Posts: 165

Could someone please explain to me how to use the manual video settings? I have a hacked GF1 (one of the latest ones).

No matter what i set in manual mode, the video looks the same. For instance, i set shutter speed to something ridiculous, like 1/15 second. The video should look all blurry with movement leaving traces. I still see the video normally though.

What are the correct steps to use manual exposure in video? Thanks!

-- hide signature --
hearingdouble Regular Member • Posts: 118

nico-foto wrote:

Could someone please explain to me how to use the manual video settings? I have a hacked GF1 (one of the latest ones).

No matter what i set in manual mode, the video looks the same. For instance, i set shutter speed to something ridiculous, like 1/15 second. The video should look all blurry with movement leaving traces. I still see the video normally though.

What are the correct steps to use manual exposure in video? Thanks!

I believe that you're doing it correctly, but that the GF1 has inherent built-in limits on how low the shutter speed will go in video. I think there's a 'lower limit' which will prevent you from achieving the 'blurry traces' effect (1/30s I think). I don't think the GF1's guts could handle processing 60 1/15s frames per second.

The manual GF1 video controls are most useful for (a) selecting aperture size to control DOF, (b) stopping the shutter speed getting too fast and 'stuttery', and (c) keeping control over ISO. The jewel in the crown of the hack is, however, to increase the AVCHD bitrate.

jimboyvr Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

and the price on ebay jumps 30% lol

I hacked mine, very easy

drusus Contributing Member • Posts: 788

hearingdouble wrote:

I believe that you're doing it correctly, but that the GF1 has inherent built-in limits on how low the shutter speed will go in video. I think there's a 'lower limit' which will prevent you from achieving the 'blurry traces' effect (1/30s I think). I don't think the GF1's guts could handle processing 60 1/15s frames per second.

I think this limitation may not be specific to the GF1: how could any camera possibly fit 60 frames, each lasting 1/15th of a second, into a second? I don't know much about video, but I've always assumed, based on arithmetic, that the longest possible shutter speed at 60 frames per second is 1/60th of a second.

Drusus

ageha
ageha Contributing Member • Posts: 651

drusus wrote:

hearingdouble wrote:

I think this limitation may not be specific to the GF1: how could any camera possibly fit 60 frames, each lasting 1/15th of a second, into a second? I don't know much about video, but I've always assumed, based on arithmetic, that the longest possible shutter speed at 60 frames per second is 1/60th of a second.

Drusus

That's what I thought...

ageha's gear list:ageha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +17 more

ageha wrote:

drusus wrote:

Drusus

That's what I thought...

Ah, but with the magic of digital video cameras with constant sensor output, you can have frames which "overlap" each other. E.g. imagine 10fps, each frame being a 1/2 second exposure:

Frame 1: 0.0-0.5
Frame 2: 0.1-0.6
Frame 3: 0.2-0.7 etc.

You would be correct if shooting on film - as you say, it's simple arithmetic - but modern digital cameras are capable of some quite unusual tricks. Quite why you'd want to use this ability is another matter, though. I guess it could be handy if you were shooting in very low light, and had a very static subject (e.g. filming a night-time cityscape).

nico-foto

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm still not feeling like i'm able to manually control video, though. I'm indoors, having the GF1 in "M" mode, i have set my shutter speed to 1/50, my aperture to f/11, iso 200. If i take a pic with those settings, it is severely underexposed, almost entirely dark. Good. Now, i click the video record button...And the video looks nothing like the underexposed pic I just took, so i have to believe the camera is not using the settings i just dialed for the video recording.

If I click on menu, and go to the video settings (motion picture), the "M exposure mode" is set to "M".

Any ideas?

-- hide signature --
Just Having Fun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,869

You are not in video mode. You are still in picture mode (M - manual). Switch the dial to video.

Yes, modification of video settings only works with the Mode Dial on the video camera setting. In all other modes, the menu option added by the hack will do absolutely nothing.

jimboyvr Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

hearingdouble wrote:

Yes, modification of video settings only works with the Mode Dial on the video camera setting. In all other modes, the menu option added by the hack will do absolutely nothing.

Not on my gh1. I set the priority in the video mode dial setting; and the do tweak in the preset dial setting (S, A, M, P).

nico-foto

Thanks for your kind replies.

Please note i'm talking about a GF1 not GH1, so things might be different.

When I move the dial to the video mode (a camera icon with a "P") i can't seem to be able to dial anything. If i push the wheel all i see is a slider to set how "blurry" i want the background to be. No shutter / aperture. Should I see those settings?

I'm puzzled.

-- hide signature --

I understand that idea shutter speed is to keep shutter open half the time. If shooting in 720/60 then you want a shutter speed set at 1/125 of a second.
For 24 FPS, you want 1/50 sec.

Does the GH2 have a built in ND filter, I don't believe my GH1 does.

mausta Regular Member • Posts: 219
The correct link
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads