Back from vacation Italy

Started May 30, 2011 | Discussions
MOD imqqmi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,630
Back from vacation Italy

I've been to Italy and met with one of the forumites here by the name of Wiwi, together with friends and family. It was a great week to say the least! Man those Aussies sure know their way with vacation, Italy and Cantucci I've greatly enjoyed their company and was glad to be so welcomed in their midst.

The first day we spend in Rome, and after that we enjoyed the quiet of a country villa in the middle of nowhere, just the way we liked it

From that HQ we did plenty of trips to hill towns with histories longer than anyone can remember. We also took some walks through the Forrest and there was a local stone quarry with some nice vistas.

I gave a simple flash workshop there which everyone seemed to enjoy. Hopefully Olivia (Wiwi) will post some shots from that when she recovers from her visit at my place, might take a while

On to the photo's then

The Italian are known for their laundry, shot in Siena:

Lots of churches in Rome, of course the cathedral in Vatican City is the largest. Tripods are not allowed. They are not joking, I've tried So I used the fencing inside as a tripod, after 5 bracketed shots (15 shots in total) I got 1 shot that has all 3 images reasonably sharp.
St Peter Church:

Ceiling of the chapel, blended:

Close up, see those paintings on the ceilings:

Those are not paintings, those are mosaics:

The walk of life dedicated:

The fountain on the San Pietro Piazza

It was very busy in the Pantheon, I tried some long exposures. Olivia lend me her 6 stop ND filter so I could do some 30 seconds exposures as well as much faster so that the sky and clouds have some detail.

The Vatican guard are looking their usual commanding and respectful selves:

Colosseum same story, lots of people but the 6 stopper took care of them:

Colosseum by night. Olivia was the only one brave enough to keep awake even after a 2 day long journey to shoot some night shots in Rome.

After the chaos of Rome we arrived at the pieceful and quit of the Villa, the change was absolute:

Overview in sunset light:

That's it for now, 2nd part will be posted soon! Thanks for looking!
--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

http://www.pbase.com/imqqmi

The DSLR jargon cheatsheet:
http://www.jmbfoto.nl/dslrcheatsheet.pdf

Sunset blending tutorial:
http://www.jmbfoto.nl/tutorial/blendingTutorial01a.pdf

imqqmi's gear list:imqqmi's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
janzu77
janzu77 Contributing Member • Posts: 944
Re: Back from vacation Italy

Great photos as usual! Specially the inside photos from church & Coliseum at night stand up from the others. Wish I could pay a visit to Rome sometimes too...

janzu77's gear list:janzu77's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Jules Winnfield Regular Member • Posts: 201

Fabulous.

Can you please tell me what lenses you used? I will be in Rome next month and am stll deciding if I should bring a long lens. Thanks.

Hamdan Abdullah Senior Member • Posts: 1,121

Beautiful shots of beautiful places, especially those inside the churches. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Hamdan Abdullah
Canon G10, Canon 40D and Canon 600D/T3i

OP MOD imqqmi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,630

janzu77 wrote:

Great photos as usual! Specially the inside photos from church & Coliseum at night stand up from the others. Wish I could pay a visit to Rome sometimes too...

Thanks Janzu! If you can you should
--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

http://www.pbase.com/imqqmi

The DSLR jargon cheatsheet:
http://www.jmbfoto.nl/dslrcheatsheet.pdf

Sunset blending tutorial:
http://www.jmbfoto.nl/tutorial/blendingTutorial01a.pdf

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more

Jules Winnfield wrote:

Fabulous.

Thanks Jules!

Can you please tell me what lenses you used? I will be in Rome next month and am stll deciding if I should bring a long lens. Thanks.

I took 4 lenses, the 10-22 (most used), sigma 30mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8, mostly used in the churches and 100-400L, didn't use it in Rome but few use it so it can make for some unique shots if you do. But normally 85mm would be long enough in 99% of the shots. I chose not to use the 100-400L for the day as walking in temperatures of 23C+ with heavy gear certainly takes its toll.

-- hide signature --

Thank you Handan!

Hamdan Abdullah wrote:

Beautiful shots of beautiful places, especially those inside the churches. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Hamdan Abdullah
Canon G10, Canon 40D and Canon 600D/T3i

-- hide signature --
canuck dave
canuck dave Senior Member • Posts: 2,922

Thanks once again for sharing like this, Josha. As always, your work is inspiring.

I know you have studied photography and art, and I encourage others to do so, or at the least to study your work!

Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230

Beautiful images, Josha! Especially the inside of the church! Thanks for sharing!
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Plan' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more

Thanks Yogi!

Y0GI wrote:

Beautiful images, Josha! Especially the inside of the church! Thanks for sharing!
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Plan' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

-- hide signature --
ilfaso2 Forum Member • Posts: 62

Great pictures and glad you did like Rome! Now waiting for part two...

P.S. Loved the bit about Italians and their laundry!

MOD Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 23,399

What a fabulous collection from this trip. The change from the city to the Villa must have been an amazing experience. How far away was it?

Did you combine 6 images in the Colosseum shot?
--
Olga

canuck dave wrote:

Thanks once again for sharing like this, Josha. As always, your work is inspiring.

Thank you, glad you liked them Dave!

I know you have studied photography and art, and I encourage others to do so, or at the least to study your work!

I've studied graphics design and did some photography courses along the way, amongst other things Seeing the Pantheon and Colosseum that was briefly described during some of the art history lessons was a dream come true.

-- hide signature --

ilfaso2 wrote:

Great pictures and glad you did like Rome! Now waiting for part two...

Thanks Ilfaso, coming from an Italian it's a great compliment!

P.S. Loved the bit about Italians and their laundry!

No offense of course

-- hide signature --

Olga Johnson wrote:

What a fabulous collection from this trip. The change from the city to the Villa must have been an amazing experience. How far away was it?

Thank you Olga! It's near Siena, and Sovicille is even closer, but then more to the north west. The change was very profound indeed. It took a while for us all to make the switch from the fast life to the slower paced country rhythm of things.

Did you combine 6 images in the Colosseum shot?

It's just one shot but I used a 6 stop ND filter for a longer exposure. f/22 isn't doing sharpness any favors at 100% but I forgot to take my 10 stopper, left it at the hotel, fool that I am I could've used 15-30 seconds instead of 6 and used f/8 or f/11.

-- hide signature --
KromeFoto Regular Member • Posts: 195

Beautiful photos and nice narration to go along with them.
Waiting for the 2nd part..
--
KF
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kromefoto/

WilbaW
WilbaW Forum Pro • Posts: 11,424

Thanks for sharing the story and the images. As I looked at them I admired your PP skills, but more than that I enjoyed seeing through your "photographer's eye". It's so much more important than equipment or technique.

WilbaW's gear list:WilbaW's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
guinness2
guinness2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,173

Hi
what a trip it must be! And the countryside stay ...

Roma is IMHO the most splendid european city (the second is St.Petersburg in my eyes, worth to see)

But Roma has too much attractions for just one visit and St.Peter's Cathedral is too big to shoot, even with 10-22.

Yet you made very nice pics and I am keen on part 2. I appreciated your tricks with ND filters.
I am also keen on wiwi's pics, she's pretty good in shooting historical cities.

windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 14,118

Some beautiful interior and exterior images. Thanks for the tour, inspiring background and the reminder on long exposures to make tourists disappear. We'll be in Italy later this year,Venice and Verona but not Rome. Whilst I have 500D, with 10-20, 18-55 & 55-250 lenses, I'll be hoping to get away with LX5 and TZ7 due to luggage limitations. The LX5, with 24-90, starting at f2 should cover all architecture, low light and landscape. The TZ7's good for 300mm and movies.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic G85
AvyMan
AvyMan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,044

Wonderful photos, Josha. Really like the ones of the cathedral indoors. Sounds (and looks) like these were challenging shots to get. Beautifully done. Thanks for sharing them.

It's always good to get home though, too, after a journey like that.

I imagine you're working on Part 2 for us?

Nick
--
photography -- a compatible blend of tech and art --

AvyMan's gear list:AvyMan's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads