Direct from Sigma Twitter Feed: KAZUTO YAMAKI the C.O.O!!

Started May 29, 2011 | Discussions
cinefeel Contributing Member • Posts: 860
Direct from Sigma Twitter Feed: KAZUTO YAMAKI the C.O.O!!

From Yamaki's twitter feed today, posted in english by the man himself:

"Sorry. We tried our best, but could not implement the price range that we had targeted."

AND:

"I know the responses from our loyal customers. SD1 price is solely due to my lack of capability, but the camera is really great.

Everyone, please get on twitter and speak to the man himself!!!

katate Regular Member • Posts: 152
Re: Direct from Sigma Twitter Feed: KAZUTO YAMAKI the C.O.O!!

@digitalbear A ha! You know how to make money far better than I do. I'm the worst one, maybe...

He seems really disappointed in himself...

Tiffles Veteran Member • Posts: 4,998
 Tiffles's gear list:Tiffles's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX1R Kodak DCS Pro 14n Nikon D700 +7 more
olimpero Regular Member • Posts: 435
they need SD16 now

I think they need release SD16 with 8Mpx X3 sensor,

Sd15 body, but borrow AF system, microadjust for lenses from SD1

and offer it for 1400 dollars,

then maybe Sigma can make money with cameras, still

DaSigmaGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,308

cinefeel wrote:

"Sorry. We tried our best, but could not implement the price range that we had targeted."

AND:

"I know the responses from our loyal customers. SD1 price is solely due to my lack of capability, but the camera is really great.

...And write what exactly? I'd struggle to find anything to write that was'nt hugely insulting to the Yamaki's. So I wont bother, thanks.

DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Samsung Galaxy S7 Samsung Galaxy S9 +25 more
Mostly Lurking Senior Member • Posts: 2,103
Bravo, DSG! It is what it is; complaints won't change it.
-- hide signature --

William Wilgus

DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 21,687

If this is correct, my interpretation is:

"This really is a £2000 camera, you should judge it as a £2000 camera and compare it to £2000 cameras but owing to our engineering difficulties, it's going to cost you £6,000. Sorry about that."

So we are back to: who will buy a camera that is 3 or 4x over-priced owing to engineering problems. It was never meant to be a MF or D3x competitor, yet it ends up going up against them.

Dead in the water, surely?

-- hide signature --
short243 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,341

Hi, I was afraid it was something like that, To bad really, a lot of bad PR. Oh well, it is what it is.
--
Rick Wilkinson
From Gobblers Knob ...... De Colores

If they can't kill you for it, it doesn't matter ....
Karen Schmidt

http://www.pbase.com/short243

short243's gear list:short243's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +1 more
OP cinefeel Contributing Member • Posts: 860

Yes, he's basically admitting that it is not supposed to cost so much.

The best case scenario at this point is that the market price drops pretty quickly!

TomFla Regular Member • Posts: 489

cinefeel wrote:

AND:

To say what, "apology accepted, but there is no way I am paying close to $US7k for this camera"; I think he already understands that.

Oh, I forgot BH is still listing it as "No arrival date known"; so even if someone wanted to buy it seems no one is selling it. Even the ebay bozos selling the one with a Sony mount say it is not in stock.

One expects a camera at that price point to be "really great", but they also expect a lot of features the Sigma does not have. A pro support system, pro options for lighting, and whistles and bells associated with that price point.

If this is true it is very bad news. I do not see any way the sd1 will sell at this price point; and so far I have not seen anyone else dispute this. Not only is the price excessive, in case no one noticed there is a bad economy. To make matters worse there are other option, especially at $US7k price.

For me it is time to move on and forget the sd1.

-- hide signature --

Those who forget history are condemned to go to summer school.

ChromeLight Senior Member • Posts: 2,626

Honestly, I don't even think the Pentagon has cost overruns as bad as the SD1!! And no I'm not talking about fraud like the 600 dollar toilet seat. I've never even seen weapons systems come in at 500% over budget. All along Chevy said the Volt (all new technology) would cost around 40k. Well, it costs 40k at any Chevy dealer.

Something still doesn't smell right. I wonder if someone at Sigma is insisting that the sale price of the SD1 be used to recoup R&D costs without any cross subsidy from lens sales.

cinefeel wrote:

Yes, he's basically admitting that it is not supposed to cost so much.

The best case scenario at this point is that the market price drops pretty quickly!

SigmaChrome Forum Pro • Posts: 12,885

ChromeLight wrote:

Something still doesn't smell right. I wonder if someone at Sigma is insisting that the sale price of the SD1 be used to recoup R&D costs without any cross subsidy from lens sales.

That seems very likely to me.
--
Regards,

Vitée

Capture all the light and colour!

http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro +35 more
s.hum Regular Member • Posts: 140

Wow! It would be interesting to know what hurdles Sigma ran into with the manufacture of this generation of Foveon sensor... whether it was merely the aftershocks of recent events in Japan or unexpectedly low yield in the fabrication of the sensor.

Hopefully, what Sigma learned in this endeavour can be applied to the next iteration of the chip (and that there will be a future Foveon chip at all). I surmise, for Sigma, it was a huge undertaking for them to branch into chip fabrication.

Personally, I would have preferred less of a resolution jump and better high ISO low noise characteristics instead. Keeping large photosites and going FF, a la D700, would have been a better path IMO (assuming it could have addressed the high ISO issues of Foveon). 8 to 10MP would have been sufficient for me... but that's me.

I hope this doesn't signal the end of the line for Foveon.
--
S

Olympus E1 11-22 14-54 50 50-200 EC-14
Leica M4 28 35 50 90
Sigma DP1

s.hum's gear list:s.hum's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
zzapamiga Regular Member • Posts: 497

Wow Sigma must be really feeling the heat knowing they are looking down the barrel of a very expensive product failure both financially and PR wise. Very uncharacteristic candor from a Japanese company. It is possible the product never gets released.

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,846
I'll adjust that to realism

"This really is a £1000 camera, you should judge it as a £1000 camera and compare it to £1000 cameras but owing to our engineering difficulties, it's going to cost you £6,000. Sorry about that."

It could have been a 7D & D300S slayer at low ISOs playing in the same ball park but with more rez and a cheaper less professional body but they got GREEDY .

Unless the sensor is made of platinum I can't see what in the world makes the thing retail at more than a Small Car . you can see where your cash has gone in the 1DS Mk3 to a large degree same in the D3X but the SD1 - only just at £1000 !

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,846

from the sale of less than 10 cameras by the looks of it (and make it pay for all the little DP Updates too) . well it ain't gonna happen, the only ones which would be likely to buy are those who'll get them free anyway so they've got the choice to sell loads at D300S prices or not shift even a whole case of the things ever .

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
maple Veteran Member • Posts: 3,349
Now I got it
  • They didn't mean it to be a MF challenger.

• The cost is 5 times higher than they had budgeted, and the only item in that camera that could have gone so wrong is the sensor. So it can only be the the fob yield rate (one of the earliest theory) that's causing all these.

• They are let down by Dongbu and it's unlikely that they can sort these out anytime soon.

• That means we won't see SD16 or a DP using the new sensor, or any upgrade possibility with a new sensor anytime soon.

That said a lot by Sigma, and I appreciate the honesty of Yamaki san.
--
Maple

ChromeLight Senior Member • Posts: 2,626
Re: Now I got it

Yea, that pretty much maps the future out for everyone. If an upgrade from the SD15 is the insanely expensive SD1, then there really isn't a future for this technology.

maple wrote:

• They didn't mean it to be a MF challenger.

• The cost is 5 times higher than they had budgeted, and the only item in that camera that could have gone so wrong is the sensor. So it can only be the the fob yield rate (one of the earliest theory) that's causing all these.

• They are let down by Dongbu and it's unlikely that they can sort these out anytime soon.

• That means we won't see SD16 or a DP using the new sensor, or any upgrade possibility with a new sensor anytime soon.

That said a lot by Sigma, and I appreciate the honesty of Yamaki san.
--
Maple

katate Regular Member • Posts: 152

I agree with you.

I still think he should talk about the reason why.

Antone
Antone Senior Member • Posts: 1,242

I'm sure that's why he used twitter - to avoid any lengthy explanations.

katate wrote:

I agree with you.

I still think he should talk about the reason why.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

Antone's gear list:Antone's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD15 Sony a7 Sigma sd Quattro +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads