Do you like the X100 velvia setting ??

Started May 29, 2011 | Discussions
millsart Senior Member • Posts: 2,771
Do you like the X100 velvia setting ??

Just curious if anyone likes the velvia setting ? I used to enjoy shooting Velvia (rated ISO 40, oh those where the days. How did we manage without ISO3200 ? lol) film and really thought Fuji would do a nice Velvia simulation on the X100.

Have to say that I find it just totally over the top on my camera though. Green's are nearly glowing, looking sort of like some really bad job of post processing by someone who just found the saturation slider. Just doesn't look at all natural.

The X100 otherwise has really fantastic overall color in its standard setting but the overly contrasty blacks and near day glo green with the Velvia just is a bit much for me.

Whats everyone elses take on this setting ?

frelwa Senior Member • Posts: 1,090
Re: Do you like the X100 velvia setting ??

I tried Velvia but I dropped it quickly. It's too garish for me. Nothing looks real.
--
Fred
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6162434934

frelwa's gear list:frelwa's gear list
Canon PowerShot S30 Contax TVS Digital Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot A1200 Fujifilm X10 +1 more
lnbolch
lnbolch Senior Member • Posts: 2,324

I shoot RAW, but on occasion have used the RAW converter in the playback menu to punch up the colour to +12 or beyond just for fun. Sometimes what one does not want is accurate reportorial colour. Unlike film, you are not stuck with it when you shoot RAW.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Hugh Paterson
Hugh Paterson Regular Member • Posts: 179

I seem to remember that one of the major reviews (dpreview?) of the X100 was also unimpressed by the film-emulator settings.

Hugh Paterson's gear list:Hugh Paterson's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-7 +4 more
Erik Johansen
Erik Johansen Senior Member • Posts: 1,271
Dynamic range

It seems Velvia tends to blow highlights more than Std. (Provia)
--
Canon since 1959, a Finepix X100.......and a F10 just in case
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fujicanon_photo/

Erik Johansen's gear list:Erik Johansen's gear list
HDRsoft Photomatix Pro
thanhuy Regular Member • Posts: 288

millsart wrote:

Just curious if anyone likes the velvia setting ? I used to enjoy shooting Velvia (rated ISO 40, oh those where the days. How did we manage without ISO3200 ? lol) film and really thought Fuji would do a nice Velvia simulation on the X100.

Have to say that I find it just totally over the top on my camera though. Green's are nearly glowing, looking sort of like some really bad job of post processing by someone who just found the saturation slider. Just doesn't look at all natural.

The X100 otherwise has really fantastic overall color in its standard setting but the overly contrasty blacks and near day glo green with the Velvia just is a bit much for me.

Whats everyone elses take on this setting ?

Yeah, it's too much contrast and saturated for my test. I think it's the worse among all camera I have owned so far.

rameshpkumar Senior Member • Posts: 1,664

I used to shoot velvia 50 too, so I tried the velvia setting and I hate the colors it produced. I am now using the Astia with color jacked up and that produces much better overall color than the velvia setting.
--
Thanks Ramesh
My websites:
http://www.rameshkumar.net
http://www.pbase.com/rameshpkumar/portfolio

Spendthrift Contributing Member • Posts: 729
I love it

I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one. It's my favorite for outdoor shooting. I alter it a bit thought.....I set it to DR200, medium soft shadow tone, soft setting on highlight tone with +1/3 exposure comp.

These settings reduce the contrast a touch yet still retain the punchy colors. Acutally, I feel it's a much better implementation of Velvia (because of its adjustability) than what was offered on the S3 and S5pro.

Spendthrift's gear list:Spendthrift's gear list
Sony a7R
polarizer Contributing Member • Posts: 869
Re: I love it

gonna try these vs astia - thanks

the default high DR provia is way too flat and dull for my taste

polarizer's gear list:polarizer's gear list
Sony RX10 II Sony RX1R II
LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,829

I started with velvia but the greens really just sort of melt into one radioactive green color and it also gets pretty contrasty for faces so i switched to Astia, which has nearly same color "loudness" but the greens are more realistic.
Generally the image from both velvia and Astia is pretty punchy and i like that.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Gordon L Regular Member • Posts: 147

I'm using provia with the dynamic range set at 100. Like it.

Velvia is just too over the top for me. I might try the tweak suggested.

OP millsart Senior Member • Posts: 2,771
Astia and provia are switched correct ??

Tried some various adjustments to the Velvia setting and still just don't care for it. Better with the color turned down some, but at least where I live, the shade of green our grass is just takes this really unnatural glowing neon look. Very fake and processed to my eye. Might work better for other shades of green....

I've found I really like Astia, which I wouldn't of expected due to it listing that as soft and least saturated, however, I don't find this to be so. I find its actually got a quite nice, colorful and realistic rendering.

I think I read once that some though they had standard (provia) and astia switched around in the menu system ?
--
http://www.millsartphotography.com

photo8526 New Member • Posts: 6

shot it on a slightly overcast day yesterday, at a food fare ; it was perfect

(i also shot RAW as allways so i can fine tune if needed). I hope silky pix will have the same option as the x-100 soon.

I got it 3 days ago and rarely had that fun with a camera.
I also did night scene at 6400, in BW

and today used it along my slr in a conference, shooting tungsten at 1600 (stanbard color)

Not sure i will keep the old Hexar for long

LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,829
Re: Astia and provia are switched correct ??

No, it doesn't work for any shades of green, it always look like painted. Even when overcast, the glowing grass is interesting sci-fi effect.

millsart wrote:

Tried some various adjustments to the Velvia setting and still just don't care for it. Better with the color turned down some, but at least where I live, the shade of green our grass is just takes this really unnatural glowing neon look. Very fake and processed to my eye. Might work better for other shades of green....

I've found I really like Astia, which I wouldn't of expected due to it listing that as soft and least saturated, however, I don't find this to be so. I find its actually got a quite nice, colorful and realistic rendering.

I think I read once that some though they had standard (provia) and astia switched around in the menu system ?
--
http://www.millsartphotography.com

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
oksijun New Member • Posts: 2

Hi all,

First post here, hoping everything will work ok...

I don't use the velvia preset much, but with this one it helped to bring out what i was seeing - actually the scene was even more vivid, sometime real life colours are pretty punchy !

fluxism Contributing Member • Posts: 584

I find it too garish

fluxism's gear list:fluxism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
oksijun New Member • Posts: 2

I know what you mean, but my point was that the colours really came out like that, unusually...

Here's a straight jpg from the raw file :

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads