TL350 replacement?

Started May 27, 2011 | Discussions
battlemac Regular Member • Posts: 488
TL350 replacement?

Will we see a replacement model for the TL350 because it over a year old right now and I am sure Samsung has made some nice advancements that could be incorporated onto this semi-rare gem of a camera. Maybe lower f stop at wide, super amoled screen, or a longer zoom?

snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: TL350 replacement?

I don't know. I'm thinking they cancelled it and followed it up with an inferior camera. It would follow their pattern, such as with the EX1.

For a small sensor compact, I've seen some incredible pics come out of the tl350.

bigrig Regular Member • Posts: 307

Didn't seem very popular, so I also doubt if they will produce another similar camera.

I'm pretty happy with the performance of the camera, it just needs some tweaks to the user interface to make it better. And maybe the 60fps video mode they advertised. And faster interval pictures.

JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,274

I'm new to the camera, and find it quite amazing overall. The quirks are both frustrating and enduring. The idea that auto-ISO works very differently in the various PASM modes is entertaining.

Image quality is ultimately what has me enthusiastic about the camera. Especially on the wide end, and with macro, it is excellent when shot in RAW. I am very critical, and this is the first compact I have found to be up to acceptable standards. Let me put it this way - I will hold on to this camera a lot longer than my tenure with the Canon 5D. Thank you, Samsung, for letting me control how to rid an image of noise at high ISO rather than a corporate decision to smear it away arbitrarily. Not that these two cameras are comparable - just saying I have high IQ standards (always based on the expectations of the instrument).

http://jamesrobins.phanfare.com/5130453#imageID=128770183

My guess is that you won't see a direct replacement. It seems that mirrorless will replace serious compact cameras (those with RAW, wide angle lenses and manual settings). This camera was basically torpedoed by lack of adequate RAW support early (LR and ACR came along too late, and the packaged software is a bit of a joke), and the problems with the original firmware. Obviously, dpreview decided to pass on reviewing it, and that also hurt. The excellent video quality is a bonus, but not a major factor for me.

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +17 more
OP battlemac Regular Member • Posts: 488

All I want is a TL350 with longer zoom, a faster glass or larger 1/2" sensor, along with your typical incremental updates that come out for a new model year.

freedo Regular Member • Posts: 192

JNR wrote:

I'm new to the camera, and find it quite amazing overall. The quirks are both frustrating and enduring.

Great photos! looking forward to seeing more

Its been an amazing 8 months thus far, with the rate of technological progress I don't know how long I'm going keep using this camera, meanwhile I'm enjoying every moment of it.

As improbable as it would seem, I am still looking forward to Samsung announcing new WB3000/TL450 or something along those lines ... that would be so exciting!

Just to share, my WB2000/TL350 photos are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfekim/sets/72157625671268175/

Good day

JNR

Nice shots Freedo. I especially like Harriet (tough shot), and the sepia treatment on some others.

I've been away from the forum doing stucco repairs, so missed the thread lately.

One thing I have discovered in my short tenure is that the screen scratches very easily, and even the paint tends to scratch. I need to be careful to either keep the camera in a sleeve (an old soft glasses case works quite well), or put the camera in its own dedicated pocket. Not easy to do when carrying other stuff.

My biggest complaints probably could be addressed in smarter firmware design.

First, for the life of me I don't see why you cannot have auto-ISO in manual settings. My main camera is a Pentax K20D with TAv - and simple, excellent feature allows you to set exactly the shutter and lens speed you want - with ISO the only variable. Also, give the user the option to set auto exposure range. It makes no sense that the auto range does not include 80 ISO at all - for highest quality / lowest noise.

Second, allow the user to set a minimum shutter speed in A-priority. My strong preference overall is to set aperture and allow the camera to pick a shutter speed. That doesn't work in marginal light on this camera because the shutter speed goes too far down. It is only practical when using fill flash - and I don't use that often.

I thought the small sensor size would be a problem, but frankly, the difference in DOF in any small sensor camera is not going to be huge. You need a large sensor (at least APS-c) for serious portrait work. This camera is great for moderate macro work. I don't need extra pixels that invariably would come with a larger sensor.

I would want more speed (f/4 or wider) at the long end as a higher priority than greater reach. I really like the size of the camera and would hate to see it get any taller or thicker.

JNR

Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +17 more
freedo Regular Member • Posts: 192

JNR wrote:

One thing I have discovered in my short tenure is that the screen scratches very easily, and even the paint tends to scratch. I need to be careful to either keep the camera in a sleeve (an old soft glasses case works quite well), or put the camera in its own dedicated pocket. Not easy to do when carrying other stuff.

yes it does! i have been carrying it in my pocket together with some keys/coins and it scratches the camera case ! (thought it makes the camera look sexier though ... ha ha)

check it out

JNR
Re: TL350 scratchorama

Wow, that is some serious body scratching. You won't be selling that one on ebay.

I don't mind the body scratches, and was lucky to realize that the screen scratches easily and deeply by a small plastic shovel I was carrying - only rubbing against the very lower left corner. I would have been upset to see heavy scratches near the middle.

Given that the camera is solidly made in pretty much every essential way, this is another slightly oddball aspect of the camera. I find the oddities mostly enduring but also a little frustrating. I hope the camera holds up as I am finding it a lot of fun to use as my constant walk-along.

A real added bonus is that camera performs very well with a IR filter (720 nm) held in front. Light loss is a little under 6 stops - not bad.

JNR

jgoring Regular Member • Posts: 160

Yes!!! Why the arbitrary one minute min interval? Completely frustrating. Makes smooth cloud and sunset time-lapse films impossible.

bigrig wrote:

Didn't seem very popular, so I also doubt if they will produce another similar camera.

I'm pretty happy with the performance of the camera, it just needs some tweaks to the user interface to make it better. And maybe the 60fps video mode they advertised. And faster interval pictures.

snake_b Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680

That's why we need to work out, like Canon owners, on hacks for the cams. Most mp3 and ipods have hacks available under various networks, Canon cams have them, why not Samsung owners?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads