How to get rid of cigarette smell on my Nikon D2x

Started May 26, 2011 | Discussions
OptioBoy
OptioBoy New Member • Posts: 8
How to get rid of cigarette smell on my Nikon D2x

Ugh!! I bought a D2x on eBay and got a great deal on it BUT it reeked of cigarette smoke. At first I was optimistic that I could get rid of it. Here is what I tried:

1. Putting in a sealed plastic bag with rice
2. Putting in a sealed plastic bag with kittly litter
3. Putting in a sealed plastic bag with incense (to overide the smell)
4. Immersing in rice (for 2 weeks)! in a sealed plastic bag
5. Letting it air out for weeks.
6. Putting in a sealed plastic bag with the super absorbent packets

Nothing worked!! I'm pretty frustrated at this point. Every time my nose gets within 2 inches of the camera I'm nauseated by the smell.

Any suggestions??

Bill Force
Bill Force Veteran Member • Posts: 6,607
Re: How to get rid of cigarette smell on my Nikon D2x

Go to a large pet store and get a small jar of "odor eliminator". It's made to remove hard to kill odors from pets. I have used it for several odor eliminating problems where nothing else worked. It doesn't "mask" the odor but in fact eliminates the source. I was able to remove the obnoxious odor left from burning electric/plastic components that almost makes you sick to smell.
--

' You don't have to have the best of everything to get the best out of what you do have'.

Xoom
Xoom Contributing Member • Posts: 830

Yup, been there. I bought a used lens that was like that. Whenever it was not in use, it sat on a terry towel with baking soda inside, on my bookshelf. It took about a year, and the white towel had turned yellow, but it's odor free now.

Xoom's gear list:Xoom's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D200 Olympus PEN E-PL3
Barrie Davis
Barrie Davis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,460
Oddball suggestion...

Somebody who may be able to help is a "Conservationist"... someone practised in the science of restoration and conservation of artifacts....

..... I know that the safe removal of all kinds of contaminants is part of their stock in trade.

You could try your local museum, which may employ a conservationist, or a big city institution...

[in the UK I would approach the V&A, that's the Victoria and Albert Museum, because I once heard their conservationist speak on the radio. She was talking about conserving the plastic household items of the 20thCentury, things made of stuff like Bakelite and Celluloid.]

http://www.vam.ac.uk/page/c/conservation/

... or just Google "conservationist".... ??

Good luck...

(You have my sympathy. I used to smoke, but I didn't ever bathe my equipment in the fumes, for goodness sake! In fact, I smoked out of doors, so that no part of the house furnishings got it.)
--
Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, they were not just ORDINARY time travellers!"

Barrie Davis's gear list:Barrie Davis's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
draganflyer Senior Member • Posts: 1,247

I second this suggestion. It contains a variety of enzymes designed to actually "consume" the volatile compounds that are source of the odor and break them down to different compounds that don't smell. It works extremely well on a variety of odors, both biological and non-biological in nature.

Bill Force wrote:

Go to a large pet store and get a small jar of "odor eliminator". It's made to remove hard to kill odors from pets. I have used it for several odor eliminating problems where nothing else worked. It doesn't "mask" the odor but in fact eliminates the source. I was able to remove the obnoxious odor left from burning electric/plastic components that almost makes you sick to smell.
--

' You don't have to have the best of everything to get the best out of what you do have'.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,760

I was once told dryer sheets like Bounce can take away smoke smell . . I bought a car that had a small electrical fire . . the dealership told me to put Bounce sheets under the seat, tucked away in the dash etc . . seemed to work. Maybe wrap the camera in a plastic bag with a dryer sheet?

pekelnik Regular Member • Posts: 146

How did it go with the smell? I just got a EOS 1v that has a similar problem. Even my hands stink after trying to clean it.

Mike Worley
Mike Worley Senior Member • Posts: 1,486
Has no one noticed . . .

. . . that this guy asked the same question five months ago, and that he hasn't been back here to thank, or report back to, anyone?

The real answer, by the way, is Everclear. It's 95% ethanol and evaporates quickly, taking with it all smudges, odors, etc., without leaving any of its own.

GarageBoy Contributing Member • Posts: 924

Ozone air cleaner in the same room?

Mr Roygbiv rainbow Senior Member • Posts: 1,891

If you don't mind a change then get a Skunk to spray on it !
--
Roygbiv

BIJ001 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,777

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=37798371

-- hide signature --

Iván József Balázs
(Hungary)

BIJ001's gear list:BIJ001's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11
Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,954
Change to cigars ! (NT)

(NT)
--

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 NEX5R A3000 +26 more
mikeval Senior Member • Posts: 1,205

I'm somewhat surprised at the bizarre lengths you have gone to to remove a smell.

Think about it, the smell is due to a fine deposit of condensed smoke on the camera surface. It's more than enough to wipe the camera over gently, but thoroughly with a solvent that will remove the smoke based deposit.

Mike Worley got it right in his above post.

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,675

Put it in the dishwasher.
jules

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter
Vibeke Dahl on Twitter is..
https://twitter.com/DahlPhotography

DaveOl
DaveOl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,313

Wipe it down with vinegar and then send it to me. I'll even pay the postage.

DaveO

DaveOl's gear list:DaveOl's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E2S
Foxwizgsk Contributing Member • Posts: 658

OptioBoy wrote:

Ugh!! I bought a D2x on eBay and got a great deal on it BUT it reeked of cigarette smoke. At first I was optimistic that I could get rid of it. Here is what I tried:

1. Putting in a sealed plastic bag with rice
2. Putting in a sealed plastic bag with kittly litter
3. Putting in a sealed plastic bag with incense (to overide the smell)
4. Immersing in rice (for 2 weeks)! in a sealed plastic bag
5. Letting it air out for weeks.
6. Putting in a sealed plastic bag with the super absorbent packets

Nothing worked!! I'm pretty frustrated at this point. Every time my nose gets within 2 inches of the camera I'm nauseated by the smell.

Any suggestions??

Put it on ebay!

DaveOl
DaveOl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,313

Tomato juice is supposed to remove the smell of a skunk from a dog, it might remove the smell from the camera. I'd be afraid of some solvents as they might loosen the covering from the camera.

DaveO

DaveOl's gear list:DaveOl's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E2S
pekelnik Regular Member • Posts: 146

mikeval wrote:

I'm somewhat surprised at the bizarre lengths you have gone to to remove a smell.

Think about it, the smell is due to a fine deposit of condensed smoke on the camera surface. It's more than enough to wipe the camera over gently, but thoroughly with a solvent that will remove the smoke based deposit.

Mike Worley got it right in his above post.

That sounds nice in theory, but it isn't true. The deposit gets into the surface of the camera and cannot be wiped off. I have cleaned the whole camera with baby wipes (twice), water (million times), alcohol (twice) and isopropyl alcohol (many times). The very surfaces that I cleaned many times still smell. (obviously, the internal cavities smell too, but I am not going to be soaking the camera from the inside with alcohol) I for instance detached some plastic parts and let them sit in in diluted alcohol for a few hours, then wiped them clean. This should have dissolved all tar residue. They still smelt. I put them in a box with vinegar. After taking it out and airing it (vinegar dissipated quickly), they still have that annoying sour smell.

If you are a smoker, you might not understand what I'm talking about, but the camera still stinks. On the plus side, it stinks way less than 24 hours ago and I bought a lump of active coal. It'll spend next 2 weeks in a box with active coal and that should help.

fwellers
fwellers Regular Member • Posts: 282

Or you can take up smoking.
--
Peace,
Floyd

linuxworks Forum Pro • Posts: 18,937

that reminded me of when I bought a nikon f3hp and motor drive from a local guy, via ebay. he made NO mention of the smell of the camera ;( it was not possible for me to clean it and I gave up. called him back and told him the smell made it 'not as described' and he eventually did take it back and return my money.

I could not clean it and was not WILLING to go to great lengths to try. if the seller does not disclose this, to me its 'not as described' and goes back.

yet another reason to avoid ebay; many sellers will leave out such details...

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads