NEX-C3 photos from SONY ads

Started May 22, 2011 | Discussions
eddieaus New Member • Posts: 18
NEX-C3 photos from SONY ads

Sony NEX-C3 Ads photos

davect01
davect01 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,682
Re: NEX-C3 photos from SONY ads

While I am glad it is coming, I have no plans on replacing my current NEX. Now just get me that firmware update!

I am excited however that Sony is continuing the line and even more excited to get my hands on the large flash.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

davect01's gear list:davect01's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
kaizr Forum Member • Posts: 89

Photo 2: Never held a NEX that way before!

heynowtest Regular Member • Posts: 399

kaizr wrote:

looks like a good way to snap off the lcd and share pictures with your friends.

anaksatawo Contributing Member • Posts: 657

its one of those.. "why didn't i think of it" moments. hihihihih.

Royal1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,406

I agree with Dave, it's the first upgrade I'm not salivating over. How about bringing out new lenses before a camera upgrade.

Tom

davect01 wrote:

While I am glad it is coming, I have no plans on replacing my current NEX. Now just get me that firmware update!

I am excited however that Sony is continuing the line and even more excited to get my hands on the large flash.

Royal1's gear list:Royal1's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-E2 Sony a6000 Sony a7 II +1 more
gfrensen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627

I think the better IQ of the new sensor, is to little to go for this upgrade.

And for the people who think Sony should aim their design at lenses must not forget that it is a total difference team who design cameras then the team that design lenses. A "simple" upgrade as his is takes not that much time, but designing a good lens does take up some time...

parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335
Ugly retro...

I like my retro styling with a 1960's or (preferably) 1970's feel. The EP-1/EP-2 and X100 are pretty close to hitting the spot for me styling-wise but the rounded edges on this design give a rather duff 1940's/early 1950's feel to it (talking general industrial design here, not camera design from that period)

To be honest this is a pretty lazy upgrade - stick in a 16mp sensor (which probably has a cheaper component cost that the 14mp sensor now anyway) and the latest firmware revision, shrink the body slightly (already possible at previous NEX-3 launch as the smaller but more functional NEX-5 proves) and 'bob's yer C3'

NEX seems to be loosing a bit of 'steam' at the moment. Hope things will pick-up once they (finally) get the A77 out of the door

parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R Sony a77 II
rodderslw Regular Member • Posts: 486
Re: Ugly retro...

I like the nex look. I like the retro look too, but think it's a bit lazy from a design point of view. You can see the various 'reto' looking cameras workin each decade to appeal to the demographic with the expendable income. I think sony have tried for some form and function design in the nex...IMO. As for the C3, I like it, especially in black and with the pancake...need more pancakes! I'm looking to buy my first NEX for an overseas trip in July but I doubt the C3 will be out by then : ( ...hope the NEX 5 prices will drop a bit.

rodderslw's gear list:rodderslw's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art +4 more
Re: Ugly retro...

rodderslw wrote:

I like the nex look. I like the retro look too, but think it's a bit lazy from a design point of view. You can see the various 'reto' looking cameras workin each decade to appeal to the demographic with the expendable income. I think sony have tried for some form and function design in the nex...IMO. As for the C3, I like it, especially in black and with the pancake...need more pancakes! I'm looking to buy my first NEX for an overseas trip in July but I doubt the C3 will be out by then : ( ...hope the NEX 5 prices will drop a bit.

Somehow the front of the NEX-C3 reminds me of the front one of these Toyota Crown's from the early 1970's:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2670934/1972-toyota-crown

Not my cup of tea at all (apart from the 'kitch' value) but each to their own....

You're doubtless right about retro and disposable income, and additionally maybe this is styled strongly for the Japanese market where 'retro' sensibilites could be different from Europe or North America

Jefftan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,110
only build in Image Stabilization will get me excited

as I am only going to use it with 16mm pancake

Doesn't look like we would get it this year

madnex New Member • Posts: 11

Hoping it has a quieter shutter.

Re: only build in Image Stabilization will get me excited

The be prepared to be unexcitec about the Nex cameras. I predict that they will stay unstabilized all af them.

Jefftan wrote:

as I am only going to use it with 16mm pancake

When using a camera with this short FL you don't need IS at all. You can go easy to 1/16 of a second without IS and when you work on your technics you can go as low as 1/8. At longer exposures well use some external stabilsation (like a tripod, a beanbag, a tree or.....)

Sony invested in ILIS for the Nex and I think ILIS it wil be for the Nex....

Doesn't look like we would get it this year

Rooru S Contributing Member • Posts: 925

madnex wrote:

Hoping it has a quieter shutter.

You see the very small body the NEX-C3 has right? You want performance or quieter operation? It's quite a compromise if you want quieter operation. It's a very small body, so there's no shutter noise dampening. Unless, Sony comes with a quiet shutter operation mode.

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a7 II +12 more
Jefftan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,110
Really? 1/16 or even 1/8 !

I have heard the lowest you can go is 1/20. That is not just for Nex but any camera without image stabilization.

In my Panasonic P&S with 3 stop of stabilization compensation

the lowest I can go and reliably achieve sharp image is 1/4

without 3 stop stabilization would become 1/32

The absolute lowest I can go and get sharp result (not everytime but maybe 1 in 2 or 3 images) is 1/2

with 3 stop stabilization would become 1/16

but as i said I got a sharp image maybe 1 in 2 or 1 in 3

and the 35mm equivalent fl is only 28mm, less wide than 16mm pancake(24mm equivalent)

Re: Really? 1/16 or even 1/8 !

Jefftan wrote:

I have heard the lowest you can go is 1/20. That is not just for Nex but any camera without image stabilization.

Well it all depends on technics. You have to stabilize your camera as good as possible. You can do that in many ways. Spread your legs a little (making a more stable triangle with your legs.
Push your elbows in your belly to make more stable triangle with your arms.

Pull down the strap around your neck to make some kind of "tripod" with them. No it is not as secure as a real tripod but look and you find it very handy (even with IS)

When you use thes technics you can easely go down as far as 1/8 of a second with the 16mm with an almost 100% hit rate. When accepting lower hit rates, you can go for longer exposure times, just like your Pana!

Thet is when you accept the adverted claim of 3 stops....

The absolute lowest I can go and get sharp result (not everytime but maybe 1 in 2 or 3 images) is 1/2

and the 35mm equivalent fl is only 28mm, less wide than 16mm pancake(24mm equivalent)

Yes IS is nice, but when you want realy sharp pictures you need some support when going long exposure times.... Without it becomes more like a gamble. And the IS will help, but good technoics, and a bean bag (or atripod, or a fence, or a wall, table or....) do much better then any IS!

Re: Really? 1/16 or even 1/8 !

Jefftan wrote:

Have you tried 'Hand-Held Twighlight' or 'Anti-Blur' modes?

These low-light modes take five shots in rapid succession and then superimpose the images to create a final image with often very low noise. 'Hand-held Twighlight' is good for stationary subjects whereas 'Anti-Blur' is good when your subject is moving (certainly a problem at 1/4 of a second with IBIS!)

In the current NEX cameras these are for JPEG only and there are some (frustrating) restrictions on the control you have over some parameters, but they really work exceptionally well. I am constantly impressed by the results I get with these modes and I find they are a pretty good substitute for IBIS (better for moving subjects as mentioned above)

kaizr wrote:

Actually photo 3 is also rather a cr@p way of holding a camera!

Can't help imagining what's going happen when she presses the shutter... I hope they've got another camera to give her as a replacement!

Ah well... if I ever drop my NEX or break the rear LCD I can just claim I was following the methods of usage promoted in official Sony literature and then get my NEX repaired by Sony for free!

mrc123 Forum Member • Posts: 75

So technically what is now better...the nex 5 or the c3?

Phaelix Regular Member • Posts: 449

From a potential still image quality point of view, the C3 has the edge now, with the same sensor used in the A55. Of course, the 5 has a number of other advantages in terms of build and video quality.

Phaelix's gear list:Phaelix's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads