Nikon 28-70 f2.8 - Auto-focus squeaks

Started May 17, 2011 | Discussions
macnmore Regular Member • Posts: 416
Nikon 28-70 f2.8 - Auto-focus squeaks

Just purchased this lens used and not all the time, but some of the time when I'm auto-focusing, it squeaks. I've read other reviews where people say this is common, but I wasn't sure if they were saying that cause they were trying to sell it or if it's actually common on these lenses. I've called Authorized Photo Service and Nikon repair and the phone estimates range from $115-$675 from Authorized Photo Service and from $210-$475 from Nikon. Should I be worried about the squeak and send in the lens?

Along with the squeak, this lens is tight to zoom from 28-50 then loosens up from 50-70.

mironv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,778
Re: Nikon 28-70 f2.8 - Auto-focus squeaks
-- hide signature --

If you use a lens for personal pictures just use untill AFS motor fails as long as it is working. If you use this lens with any monetary of professional obligations than you shod send it for total over hule and replacemant of AFS motor. Yes it is common but no it is not normal specialy zooming part.
Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

mironv's gear list:mironv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
nirvana0001 Contributing Member • Posts: 902

The 28-70 uses the the first generation of AF-S, with higher failure rate. I heard when it squeaks the motor is usually going out.

GO Regular Member • Posts: 247

macnmore wrote:

Just purchased this lens used and not all the time, but some of the time when I'm auto-focusing, it squeaks. I've read other reviews where people say this is common, but I wasn't sure if they were saying that cause they were trying to sell it or if it's actually common on these lenses. I've called Authorized Photo Service and Nikon repair and the phone estimates range from $115-$675 from Authorized Photo Service and from $210-$475 from Nikon. Should I be worried about the squeak and send in the lens?

Along with the squeak, this lens is tight to zoom from 28-50 then loosens up from 50-70.

I'm just lucky. I've got a AF-S 28-70/2.8 D IF-ED Japan that's worked great from day one, and really super sharp glass. Think I got it in 2005 new and never a problem are squeak..... I think used in 8+ condition they sell for about $1200 now and worth it.... I know mind has around 100,000 shots are more on it and I started using it on my F5, then my D100, D200, now my D3 still one of my main lens...

If it's working for you and that's the only thing and it doesn't squeak real loud it's probably just find... I've heard other lens squeak real lightly before...some time for some lens that is normal.

GO's gear list:GO's gear list
Nikon D3
Big Daddie Contributing Member • Posts: 936

If you bought it used, can you return it?

If you bought it on eBay, even if the seller posted no returns -- you can usually still get it back if the seller did not represent that the focus squeaks.

Two possibilities -- it'll squeak for a long time and never actually fail, or it'll fail. Why put up with that suspense?

slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,157

I recently sold my 28~70 to a camera shop in London. The salesman tested it thoroughly and identified a squeek. He assured me it was to be expected and he still offerred me a good price.

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
joejack951 Senior Member • Posts: 2,682

macnmore wrote:

If it's what I think you are describing, this is perfectly normal. Watch the front of the lens, you'll see it retract and then re-extend as you go up through the zoom range. 50mm is about the fully retracted position. If the lens is pointing down at all, the zoom ring will feel tight because you are lifting the lens elements as the lens retracts.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
OP macnmore Regular Member • Posts: 416

I contacted the seller and he offered me a full refund, or $200 refund if I keep it and get it repaired. Debating on what to do...

Cultured Vulture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,181

The 5 year warranty was just about up on my 17~35 f/2.8 and it was squeaking. It had been off and on for over a year. I went ahead and sent it in to Nikon and they changed the AFS motor and gave it a clean and tune up. It's probably my imagination but it seems to be a little quicker to focus than it was before. Your lens may go on for years with no problem or it may go out tomorrow. The problem with buying a used lens is that you never know when you will have a problem. If you got a good price on the lens and it is otherwise good, I would take the $200 and get Nikon to fix it. The AFS motor is just about the only thing that will give you problems.
--
Regards,

JR

Cultured Vulture's gear list:Cultured Vulture's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 7900 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +11 more
Camillo Contributing Member • Posts: 822
Simple TEST you can do

Heres a simple test you can do in order to determine wether it is a mechanical squeak or electrical. Simply turn the autofocus knob slightly beyond the limit in both directions with the camera off. If you hear a squeak then you are fine and it's a "normal" squeak and don't worry about it. If on the other hand the lens does not squeak when turned manually then you have an electrical squeak and you need to prepare to have your afs motor replaced.

I bought mine from KEH as bargain, looked good at the time, but immediately I noticed the squeak. Lo and behold lens AFS started stuttering and stopping during shoots. I replaced the AF-S motor, outer lens shell, lens barrel assembly with aperture blends all brand new myself with all electrical contacts, and the lens now works a charm. Don't advice others to try this unless you are very familiar with electronics. It is a very beautiful lens to look at once disassembled, looks like a satellite! But very very delicate.

Best

macnmore wrote:

-- hide signature --
 Camillo's gear list:Camillo's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Phase One Capture One Pro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads