Repairing my 450D shutter button!

Started May 15, 2011 | Discussions
photofan1986
photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,258
Repairing my 450D shutter button!

After buying a second hand 350D, I just realized how soft and undefined my 450D shutter button felt. Indeed, the 350D I bought hasn't served much, as it has only taken about 8.000 pics, whereas my 450D probably exceeds 20.000 pictures.

On the 350D, the shutter button feels solid, and there is a clear distinction between the half-press (focus) and the full press (shutter release). On my 450D, there is no distinction, so I thought that the shutter button must be dirty or so.

I decided to try the isopropyl solution, and it did not work (but thanks god, it did not hurt the camera either).

So I had the take the camera apart (as the camera is out of warranty anyway).

Removing the back panel was easy. I had to remove all of the bottom screws and the thumb rest, too. The harder part was to remove the front panel, and there I understood that there was one screw hiding behind the soft rubber, below the small light.

And there we go:

After this, I had to get to the shutter button itself. In order to to so, I had to unscrew a couple of screws from the top panel, carefully, because there is a small spring with a ball which makes the encoding wheel so stiff, and it is really ready to spring off!

Next step is to open the shutter button to see what's in there: the thing I saw was not nice! The small metal plate, which has to positions, is broken on one side, and that's why the shutter felt so undefined (but worked well, still).

Living in europe, I knew it would be close to impossible to get my hands on this part (would have been much easier in the US )

Then I remembered that some time ago, I took apart an old Canon Ixus, the Ixus 50 methinks. I managed to find the top panel , with the shutter button, and it seemed to work well. The button didn't look all the same, but once I opened it, I saw the same metal plate as the one in the 450D! I've got to be lucky!

But I have to say I'm disappointed to see that Canon uses that same parts for a compact camera and a DSLR ( and I understood that the same item is used in all their DSLR!).

Ok, now the hardest part: put everything back together!

The hardest thing is to put the right screw in the right place, and I'm must say that I did not make my homework! I should have marked the screws, or use separate cups...

Well, after closing the camera, it did not power up, and I almost had a hart attack! But it was because I forgot to put the battery cover on the camera . After doing so, the camera DID power up, but I got a ERROR99 message after releasing the shutter! The camera did a strange noise and the mirror did not seem to want to get back to its original position. After doing my research, I found that the left screw on the top panel was not the good one, and as it was too long, it blocked the shutter mechanism in the camera!

I replaced the screw, powered the camera, took a shot, and hallelujah! It now works flawlessly, and the shutter button is as firm as it was on the first day.

So all in all, I'm happy I did it, but bear in mind that you really have to know what you're doing when you want to open up those "toys".

Thanks for reading!

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony RX100 III Sony a7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +12 more
karl mohr Senior Member • Posts: 1,618
Re: Repairing my 450D shutter button!

Congrats on figuring out that repair. I don't know if I would have enough nerve to disassemble one of these things. Being a mechanic for many years, I've always tried to repair my own things. Did you have a service manual for this camera? Does anyone know how to obtain service manuals for Canon dSLRs?

karl mohr's gear list:karl mohr's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
photofan1986
OP photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,258

No service manual for this I tried to figure out by my own logic
But I saw some disassembly notes on the Web (to make the camera IR sensitive).

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony RX100 III Sony a7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +12 more
AvyMan
AvyMan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,311
Impressive

That's impressive work. Thanks for the photos and description on how you did it. Glad it worked out.

I love to take things apart like this to see how they work--but usually only if I don't plan on putting them back together again.

Nick
--
photography -- a compatible blend of tech and art --

AvyMan's gear list:AvyMan's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +1 more
karl mohr Senior Member • Posts: 1,618
service manual and replacement parts

Does anyone know how to obtain a service manual for a Canon dSLR and/or how to find and order replacement parts? I would attempt repairs if I could find factory literature on doing it. (I would even think that it might cover micro-focus adjustments from the service mode). Usually you can find this kind of info on the intrernet, ie service manuals for laptops, cars, etc, but I haven't come across these manuals yet.

karl mohr's gear list:karl mohr's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,233
Re: service manual and replacement parts

I used to have the ph. # for parts but I can't find it.

Here is a good vid on how to disassemble and reassemble a 450D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IIN0-q2WLY
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Plan' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
AvyMan
AvyMan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,311

Y0GI wrote:

I used to have the ph. # for parts but I can't find it.

Here is a good vid on how to disassemble and reassemble a 450D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IIN0-q2WLY

Hey YOGI thanks for posting the link--just in case. Looks pretty thorough. Hopefully it won't come in handy

Nick
--
photography -- a compatible blend of tech and art --

AvyMan's gear list:AvyMan's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +1 more
sjwolfhope Regular Member • Posts: 435

Yogi,

Thanks for the link - his home page has additional info on taking apart a 500D (T1i) if I ever have to do any repairs. Have that link bookmarked.

Steve W.

Molteni Bruno Contributing Member • Posts: 790

photofan1986 wrote:

After buying a second hand 350D ...

Dear photofan1986,

I have a question for you (or for others anyway...), please can you help me?

I have a similar problem with the shutter button of an old Canon 300d that doesn't focus anymore but shoot normally when pressed down.

Ixus 50 methinks. I managed to find the top panel , with the shutter button, and it seemed to work well. The button didn't look all the same, but once I opened it, I saw the same metal plate as the one in the 450D! I've got to be lucky!

I have open my camera and dismount the shutter button.

Inside It I found only one small metal plate and not two of them like in your picture.

I don't know if I lost a metal plate during dismounting or there is only one inside.

I reassembled camera after cleaning but it still doesn't work.

How many metal plate are inside shutter button?

Thank you

Bruno 0.5

Molteni Bruno's gear list:Molteni Bruno's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Molteni Bruno Contributing Member • Posts: 790

Molteni Bruno wrote:

I have open my camera and dismount the shutter button.

Inside It I found only one small metal plate and not two of them like in your picture.

I don't know if I lost a metal plate during dismounting or there is only one inside.

See this video regarding Canon 30d:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAWGScQeC5g
From minute 2:46

It is clear than this tipe of camera has two metal plate inside.
Are Canon 300D (and following cameras) shutter button different from XD cameras?

Bruno 0.5

Molteni Bruno's gear list:Molteni Bruno's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
EM17 New Member • Posts: 6

I watched the video, any idea how much were left if I am trying to get all the way to replace the shutter??

Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads