X100 videomode too dark

Started May 12, 2011 | Discussions
Oger Junior Member • Posts: 43
X100 videomode too dark

The x100 makes ok movies I think.
But in the dark it doesn´t gain enough, so the video is quite dark.

I shot at f2 and exposure compensated all the way up to +2 but in bars for example it´s still too dark.
Any ideas?
Am I missing some adjustment?

Dailypix Contributing Member • Posts: 637
Re: X100 videomode too dark

Oger wrote:

The x100 makes ok movies I think.
But in the dark it doesn´t gain enough, so the video is quite dark.

I shot at f2 and exposure compensated all the way up to +2 but in bars for example it´s still too dark.
Any ideas?
Am I missing some adjustment?

What is your ISO?

OP Oger Junior Member • Posts: 43

I tried every iso setting even the auto iso, but it all looks exactly the same.
Also the EV dial doesn´t do anything at all.
I don´t know why it´s even showing on the screen in movie mode.

Also the camera does not seen to correct exposure very well or not at all during filming.
The screen gets brighter only before I start to film for focusing.
A little frustrating, because the noise seems really minimal at low light...

KopusChen Forum Member • Posts: 85

I believe this is because X100 picks a somewhat conservative setting of ISO/shutter speed automatically. And that specific setting evidently make even F2 not bright enough in many indoor scenes.

You can test it by point X100 to a bright light source like a lamp, you'll notice F2 is shown as white (correct exposure), but if you move to a dim scene, F2 becomes red, which indicates that camera thinks that exposure is not bright enough.

I wonder why X100 can't use high ISO automatically to compensate the dim scene, but again that's a Fuji question and I hope this can be fixed in a firmware upgrade. Let's pray though because as far as I know video is at the very bottom of their priority list.

On the other hand, the video footage I took is AWESOME! shallow DOF combined with Fuji color really makes a difference, very movie like!

amazestudios Regular Member • Posts: 316
Re: X100 videomode too dark and underexposed

I just started using the video mode, and yes, what ever I tried, the video stayed consistently underexposed.

-- hide signature --

Gary

amazestudios's gear list:amazestudios's gear list
Sony RX1
Jose V. Sumaquial, MD Regular Member • Posts: 182

Just a suggestion but could you check to make sure your ND filter is not activated?

Otherwise I'm not sure, I took a quick video indoors with my X100 and everything seemed fine.

-- hide signature --

Joe
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://docjoe.smugmug.com

OP Oger Junior Member • Posts: 43

one thing I found out ist if you switch to auto Aperture "A" it for some reason turns out brighter in total. I mean definitely even brighter than aperture 2.0

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads