DIY DSLR K-X “Cable” Cable Release

Started May 3, 2011 | Discussions
trailrider2 New Member • Posts: 11
DIY DSLR K-X “Cable” Cable Release

I have seen people make cable release brackets that utilize the tripod mounting socket on the bottom. This bracket holds a cable release with its plunger directly over the shutter release button. I did not like this design. I wanted to have my camera flush on my tripod and not have to fiddle with the bracket while mounting my camera to the tripod. Someone on the forum mentioned using a ¼”-20 tripod mount screw to flash hot shoe adapter. They are on eBay. I bought this one since it had two locking rings and it was from the US. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200598595922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I bought a strip on aluminum that was 1/8” thick by ½” wide and 3ft long at Lowes. I chose aluminum since it is easier to bend and tap. I wanted to tap the cable release into the bracket. The cable release threads are a special tapered thread that you will not be able to match. I tested all sizes metric and standard. M3 x 0.5 fits the best. This is the size tap I used. You get almost a full turn of locking. I have read other people using a 1/8” nut but can not confirm this. I used a vice, piece of pipe and hammer to bend the aluminum strip. Try to avoid bending a full 90 degrees. It will weaken the aluminum. My first attempt broke when I tried to undo a bend for adjustment. Measuring and getting the bends accurate is difficult. It seems the metal does not always bend exactly where you like it to. On my second attempt I first made a template out of coat hanger to use as a guide. The last step was to use a crescent wrench to put a twist at the shutter end to get it to line up. It is not perfectly centered but it works. I am using an air cable release. Some people say an air release is best for isolating any movement. I just happened to have one. I can get a half shutter press for focus and hold it followed by full shutter actuation. It surprisingly takes quite a bit of squeeze for actuation. I am going to buy a regular cable release to provide shutter locking capability in the future. I have read some people put an eraser on the end of the cable release plunger to protect the shutter button. My plunger does not stick out far enough. I cut a circular piece of packing tape to protect the shutter button from getting scratched. I now have cable release capability for exposure bracketing and HDR. If I want to also have mirror lockup for these modes I can also use live view.

Good Luck
Mike

Pacerr Senior Member • Posts: 1,672
Re: DIY Cable Release

Nicely done.

A suggestion: Given that mechanical cables aren't expensive and you'd not likely need to separate the bracket from the cable, I'd simply epoxy the tip of the cable in a threaded, but oversize, hole in the bracket using something fairly viscous like J. B. Weld. Threaded to give the epoxy something to bite on. You could also more easily adjust the angle of the tip to the shutter button while the epoxy was slightly fluid rather than bending the aluminum bar too much.

You could also mold a custom threaded "nut" in the bracket using the same method if you felt the need to be able to disassemble the unit. Just grease the cable tip well and avoid overlapping epoxy ridges so it can easily release after the epoxy sets up. If you haven't done that before you might experiment with a plain screw and an over-sized nut to get it right first. De-grease both parts after the "nut" hardens. A light coat of acrylic fingernail polish might be helpful if the thread turns out to be a little too loose.

H2

KentG Veteran Member • Posts: 4,699
Re: DIY DSLR K-X “Cable” Cable Release

Why go through all that when you can just pickup a clone of the Pentax CS-205 for about $13 off Amazon?
Kent Gittings

KentG's gear list:KentG's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
Kent...

KentG wrote:

Why go through all that when you can just pickup a clone of the Pentax CS-205 for about $13 off Amazon?

So, tell us Kent, just exactly where it is that one would plug in the Pentax CS-205 on the K-X?

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

zggame New Member • Posts: 14
ulong
ulong Regular Member • Posts: 103

K-x uses wireless remote release, I use my old little Sony Handycam remote control, it works for me perfectly! you might dig into your old stuff and find one...

ulong's gear list:ulong's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-x Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +1 more
GPGeneralPhoto
GPGeneralPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,156

Cool work around to 'fix' something that Pentax should have included.
--
I'm thankful to still be able to...

GPGeneralPhoto's gear list:GPGeneralPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs

ulong wrote:

". . . my old little Sony Handycam remote control, it works for me perfectly!

No doubt, but, uuh, after two days/weeks in the field? Be with ya in just a second here. Let me check my over-stuffed bag for a water-proof remote an' a ready spare battery an' a solar charger an' a . . . hey, there's a Kitchen sink in here too?

Hey, just curious, ya know. We Luddites wanna know if it's safe to come out'a the dark ages yet.

H2

math guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,649
Why not a wireless remote?

I'm just curious, why go to all the trouble of making a cable release instead of just using a wireless remote which the camera is designed to work with? (And this is an honest question, not intended to be argumentative.) The Pentax remote I used with a Pentax IQ Zoom film camera back in the 1990s works perfectly with my K-x, so I didn't even have to buy one. But I've seen generic versions of the new remote priced very reasonably.

I don't have my camera in front of me, so I may be remembering wrong. But I was thinking that the mirror lock-up is only available when the shutter setting is timer or remote. So would there be a way to lock the mirror up with a cable release?

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
'The laws of nature are but the mathematical thoughts of God.' ~ Euclid

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +2 more

Pacerr wrote:

Let me check my over-stuffed bag for a water-proof remote

To go with the non-WR K-x?

an' a ready spare battery

My remote is still using the same battery I had in it in the 1990s when I bought it for a Pentax IQ Zoom film camera. So they don't wear out that quickly.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +2 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
I have this one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Control-PENTAX-K-M-K-X-K-7-K200D-K20D-K100D-/250781081616?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item3a63b7a010#ht_3102wt_959

It's a clone of the Nikon one I believe works great small unit does the job nicely.

MLU works on the remote or self timer

I have a Velcro type rubber one I bought probably 20 years ago now for an Olympus bridge camera that didn't have a remote socket. I'll dig it out it simply straps onto the camera and a normal threaded cable release into the top pushes down on the aluminium part inside and triggers the shutter does the job too..

Can't see the point using it though if you have the one above unless it's got some issues can't say I have noticed any (maybe bright light outside??)

Focus trapping...

math guy wrote:

I'm just curious, why go to all the trouble of making a cable release instead of just using a wireless remote which the camera is designed to work with? (And this is an honest question, not intended to be argumentative.)

One reason is that you could use the cable release with Catch-in-focus (focus trapping). Set the camera to AF-S, set to continuous shooting, pre-focus the lens, press and lock the cable release. Now when a subject enters the prefocus area the camera will fire and continue to fire until the subject leaves the prefocused area. If another subject comes into the prefocused area the camera will again begin to fire. This will continue until you stop the process or the battery runs down. Hummingbirds in flight anyone? You cannot do this with an IR remote.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Re: Focus trapping...

brandrx wrote:

One reason is that you could use the cable release with Catch-in-focus (focus trapping). Set the camera to AF-S, set to continuous shooting, pre-focus the lens, press and lock the cable release. Now when a subject enters the prefocus area the camera will fire and continue to fire until the subject leaves the prefocused area. If another subject comes into the prefocused area the camera will again begin to fire. This will continue until you stop the process or the battery runs down. Hummingbirds in flight anyone? You cannot do this with an IR remote.

That makes sense. Thanks, Ron.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

Allan Brown
Allan Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,960

These have been devised by many people over the years and the camera companies still don't listen - give us back the remote cable thread in the shutter button or a wired electrical remote.

Also, there are always some who see nothing wrong with the wireless remotes and question the wired remote.

The wired remote has many advantages over the wireless remote - especially if the wireless sensor is at the front of the camera - Stupid Place To Put It

Example, a couple of years ago I was taking Santa Claus photos at a fair. My camera had a wired remote. I was able to stand behind the camera, which was on a tripod, look at the kids react to Santa and take the photo when the picture presented itself.

I never had to look at the camera or stand off to the side.

While wireless remotes have their uses, a wired remote, to me, is the better of the two.

Allan

Focus trapping with K-X using IR remote.

Focus trapping can be done with an IR remote on the K-X. However, it is severly limited.

See the link:

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Re: Natural law??

Euclid was obviously never on a job with a partner named Murphy!

H2

Re: - and other issues ...

I recently helped design a bracket for a mechanical release to use underwater with a W80 P&S. Not a great place for IR or electric solutions even if a a wired remote was possible.

A wired, encapsulated IR LED solution was considered, and an RF trigger wasn't feasible under water, so the mechanical, KISS principle prevailed in that case.

Reminds me of the guy that tried to market an electric, battery-powered automobile jack. The one time ya really needed it to change a flat tire Murphy shows up on 'is bicycle to help . . . but then 'e didn't have a battery or a jumper cable either.

H2

CharlieDIY
CharlieDIY Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120
Re: Kent...

brandrx wrote:

KentG wrote:

So, tell us Kent, just exactly where it is that one would plug in the Pentax CS-205 on the K-X?

Another point: bulb releases are sometimes handier than switch releases, even when a correct pc connection is in place.

In another life, or so it sometimes seems, when I wrote and shot woodworking books and articles, a bulb release under my foot let me capture a table saw going through a piece of wood. Stepping on the bulb left me with hands free to control the work, and reduce the bleeding.

It was great with almost any stationary tool, though in recent years I've adapted to the 12 second delay pretty well. If I ever get more than an hour's free time, I may actually build something like this for my K20D for those occasions when 12 seconds isn't enough.

-- hide signature --

Allan Brown wrote:

The wired remote has many advantages over the wireless remote

This is a good thread, as I hadn't thought about some of these uses for wired remotes before. Most of them I probably won't ever use, but I can at least see how a wired remote can serve certain needs better than a wireless one.

especially if the wireless sensor is at the front of the camera - Stupid Place To Put It

I suppose that depends on what it is being used for. I like having it on the front when I am taking family photos that I want to be included in. Since I am facing the camera in those situations, that is exactly where I want it to be. But I also use the remote a lot with close-up shots of flowers and such, when camera shake is more noticeable. And in those situations, it would be easier if the sensor were on the rear or top of the camera.

So there is a time and place for either position. I guess it would be nice if they put a sensor on the front and the rear... maybe one day.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

math guy wrote:

Allan Brown wrote:

The wired remote has many advantages over the wireless remote

This is a good thread, as I hadn't thought about some of these uses for wired remotes before. Most of them I probably won't ever use, but I can at least see how a wired remote can serve certain needs better than a wireless one.

especially if the wireless sensor is at the front of the camera - Stupid Place To Put It

I suppose that depends on what it is being used for. I like having it on the front when I am taking family photos that I want to be included in. Since I am facing the camera in those situations, that is exactly where I want it to be. But I also use the remote a lot with close-up shots of flowers and such, when camera shake is more noticeable. And in those situations, it would be easier if the sensor were on the rear or top of the camera.

So there is a time and place for either position. I guess it would be nice if they put a sensor on the front and the rear... maybe one day.

Indoors the K-x IR remote works from behind (for me at least) I guess it bounces off of walls and stuff! Outside erm I'd expect it not to.

So I think yes it's a fairly valid point to ask for a wired remote socket whilst it's a cheaper body still that's not exactly "costly" to add. I don't think the K-r has one either which is a bit more surprising.

These things are hardly deal breakers but on my A mount stuff I mostly use a wired remote and only one model has IR only (which is again a bit odd) One for Pentax to look out for I know makers chop stuff down to save some cash but I can't see they'd save a fortune with that part missing

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads