A wet K5 - what to do now?

Started May 2, 2011 | Discussions
Ken Knott Regular Member • Posts: 276
A wet K5 - what to do now?

Ok, so as mentioned in the previous post, my K5 got wet while kayaking and begun to malfunction. Specifically, it not longer recognized the SD card and some motor began to get sluggish causing overexposure...

After drying overnight, it's working good as new at this point....

But likely (clearly?) moisture got inside and presumably there is a risk for rust or mold?

Should I send it in for repairs? Keep a close eye on it? Or not worry about it?

Thanks,

Ken

math guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,604
send it in = peace of mind

I'm no expert here, but I would say that if you have to ask, then send it in. That's a $1300 gamble (less the cost of inspection/repair) that I wouldn't personally be willing to take. I would imagine the repair would be much more costly down the road if in fact rust and mold begin to set in. Plus, your peace of mind in the mean time has to be worth something.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. I can only imagine how sick I would be if I that had happened to me. I truly hope that the damge turns out to be minimal.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
'The laws of nature are but the mathematical thoughts of God.' ~ Euclid

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-50 Sony a6400 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +7 more
GPGeneralPhoto
GPGeneralPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,154
Re: A wet K5 - what to do now?

I don't know where to get locally, but the 'dryer' bags are available on the internet. You know - the 'Do Not Eat' bags that come in electronic equipment? Pack a bunch of new ones of these in a large zip top bag with the camera. Old ones do not work, they will loose the power to absorb water very quickly if left out.
--
I'm thankful to still be able to...

GPGeneralPhoto's gear list:GPGeneralPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs
senoiaphil Regular Member • Posts: 240

Those are call dessicant bags. Most people just pack electronics in a zip lock bag with rice, the rice draws the moisture out. However while that may work well for phones, an optical device might be better off with those silica dessicant bags.

Heres a handy reference
http://rumkin.com/reference/desiccant/

steephill Veteran Member • Posts: 9,861

I'd send it in as moisture has clearly got past the seals and won't get back out again once the seals have re-seated. Unless the seals have broken completely the dessicant trick won't work.

The force of water you described is beyond what weather resistance is intended to cope with. I remember being warned about this when I got my first underwater camera. It could safely go to 10 metres down but wasn't designed to withstand the water pressure encountered when jumping into the water or being hit by heavy surf. You won't see sensible underwater photographers jumping in even with pro housings, they get the camera handed in once they have entered the water.

-- hide signature --
onesidedcoin Regular Member • Posts: 404

senoiaphil wrote:

Those are call dessicant bags. Most people just pack electronics in a zip lock bag with rice, the rice draws the moisture out. However while that may work well for phones, an optical device might be better off with those silica dessicant bags.

Heres a handy reference
http://rumkin.com/reference/desiccant/

This also could be complemented by the use of a freezer bag style that uses a hand vacuum pump. By placing the desiccant and the lens in the bad and pulling a vacuum with the hand pump this action would force the remaining water in a liquid state to boil off at room temperature and the desiccant would most effectively absorb the water in a vapor state. One problem is this action of evaporation will leaves impurities behind. Most likely salts.
--
Dave

BobORama
BobORama Senior Member • Posts: 2,731
Re: send it in = peace of mind

By far the best way I have found to deal with this is to go to a ( good ) pet store, and get silica gel cat litter. They typically have two types, one is all silical get crystals - get that type, its more expensive. The other type is clay or carbon + silica gel, which is not as good, dusty. Then get a CLEAN 3 gallon pail with lid - or CLEAN empty cat litter bucket..

A substitute is calcium chloride ice melt - its MUST be CaCl2 - as CaCl2 is extremely hygroscopic and will suck moisture out of the air. ( My deliquescence video http://www.vimeo.com/2670546 ) Its also a salt, and dusty, so care must be taken not to contaminate your camera. But its works better than silica gel. The warmer it is, the better it works - the opposite of silica gel. DO NOT USE UREA based ice melt, read the bag!

Take a bathroom towel, in the center place a large portion of the silica gel or CaCl2, and fold over the towel to trap the material, making a pad 2" thick when placed in your bucket.

Place camera / lens / ... on top of the towel, seal bucket. To minimize dust contamination place camera parts in an OPEN ziplock bag. But that is usually unnecessary.

Seal the bucket. Wait a few hours.

Generally rain water, stream water has very low dissolved solids, and provided its not on the optics, it will not cause a problem if you attend to it quickly. Most people, however, do not.

Salt water is another issue. That's pretty much hopeless.

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads