7D: Flashing Autofocus point

Started Apr 27, 2011 | Discussions
Paul West Regular Member • Posts: 200
7D: Flashing Autofocus point

OK so I was setting up some custom modes and now when I hit the autofocus point selection button I have one autofocus point that is flashing in the manual focus point selection modes.

For example if I push the Autofucus Point Selection/Magnify button, I can move the focus point around, but all the time one of the focus points is flashing.

I suspect that I have 'registered' that point somehow, but cannot see how to 'de-register' it. Yes I did look it up in the manual, but it wasn't too helpful.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

Pastynator Contributing Member • Posts: 925
Re: 7D: Flashing Autofocus point

It's explained on page 219 of the manual.

Personally i always have a point registered though, and then set to the af-on button to instantly use. My normal AF is set to the * button.

That way i can intantly engage AF in 2 areas of the viewfinder just by moving my thumb to the neighbouring button.

Paul West wrote:

OK so I was setting up some custom modes and now when I hit the autofocus point selection button I have one autofocus point that is flashing in the manual focus point selection modes.

For example if I push the Autofucus Point Selection/Magnify button, I can move the focus point around, but all the time one of the focus points is flashing.

I suspect that I have 'registered' that point somehow, but cannot see how to 'de-register' it. Yes I did look it up in the manual, but it wasn't too helpful.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

OP Paul West Regular Member • Posts: 200

Thanks - that was exactly the answer I was looking for. The page is now bookmarked! I guess I inadvertently hit the AF selection point button and the backlight button to register a point. Now that I know how to register, and more importantly de-register, a point I am not clear how to use it.

I can see on high speed sports, birding or aerobatic photography it may be useful though. Not something I do a lot of. Now I can register a point, if I set up the AF-on button to switch to a registered point, when I hit that button, the box showing which focus point is selected moves to that registered point and then when I release my finger from the button, jumps back. Is that the way it is supposed to work? You hold down the AF-On (Or whatever button you have assigned to select the registered focus point) and simultaneously push the shutter release to use it?

Thanks for the help. I have not seen a lot written about this great feature.

Paul

apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,869

Say that you have the center point selected normally, but you have also registered a point high up in the viewfinder. You normally focus by half-pressing the trigger button, but have set AF-ON to focus with the registered point.

You are now taking a few pictures of things in general, focusing with the trigger button. Now suddenly you want a photo of a person, and you want to focus on her face. So focus with AF-ON, which selects the AF point that's higher up, thus on her face, keep AF-ON pressed and take the picture. As long as you keep AF-ON pressed, the camera will not redo the focusing when you press the trigger button.

Or say you are shooting racing, with cars going into and out of a hairpin.

Under such circumstances, you probably want to use back button focusing all the time, in conjunction with Servo AF. So set AF-ON to focus with the selected point and * with the reigstered one. Remove focusing from trigger half-press.

Now select a point a bit to the left in the viewfinder and register one a bit to the right. Thus you can follow the cars into the hairpin with AF-ON pressed and switch to * when they go out again. Quick change between AF points that allows you to focus properly on the car, and still having it going into the image, not out of it, regardless of which direction it moves.
--
Anders

apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +26 more
OP Paul West Regular Member • Posts: 200

Got it. Thanks for the clear instructions. I'll give it a try.

All the best,

Paul

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads