HX9V images for PPPs to view

Started Apr 23, 2011 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
JohnWho Contributing Member • Posts: 853
HX9V images for PPPs to view

PPPs = Pixel Peeper Perfectionists

Today I got an HX9V from my local Best Buy - the only one they had, I might add.

Took these two images to see for myself how the camera handles the green, green grass of home.

Note that the second image is a full optical zoom of the first image.

If you view these images "full screen" - in my case on a 22" wide screen monitor - I'd say they look very good. I doubt if I'd ever print one anywhere near this size. When you view them "full/original size", I won't argue that they aren't "pixel perfect", but I'm finding myself in agreement with those that find them acceptable for a P & S, especially one with all the other "bells and whistles" of the HX9V.

Just thought I'd share. I believe I've set them up correctly so you can view/download the full size originals with exif info.

Just sharing for those interested in this camera.

PSB99X Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: HX9V images for PPPs to view

I don't have a problem with HX9V's outdoor shots....they look nice.....But honestly, all P&S and compact cameras nowdays can handle outdoor shots pretty well. The real test is dim light and indoor shots....this is what separates the "contenders" from the "pretenders" as they say.....as this is where the HX9V has problems and fall short of class leaders like the S95, LX5 and XZ-1.

vadim_c Senior Member • Posts: 1,712

PSB99X wrote:

I don't have a problem with HX9V's outdoor shots....they look nice.....But honestly, all P&S and compact cameras nowdays can handle outdoor shots pretty well. The real test is dim light and indoor shots....this is what separates the "contenders" from the "pretenders" as they say.....as this is where the HX9V has problems and fall short of class leaders like the S95, LX5 and XZ-1.

So why is S95 the "class leader" ? In which class ? Are you talking about the low light performance class ? Many including me do not care about low light. I have DSLR for that that beats any of your "class leaders"

In many other classes, for example video then S95 is left in the dust. If you take zoom class then S95 even cannot be considered here at all. Same for burst speed.
In other words apples to apples.

Jeannie46 Regular Member • Posts: 334

Some of us do not have DSL cameras and I for one find them very bulky to take every day pictures. I like the original writer of this forum like to take pictures (especially in the winter) in doors of my family and pets.

I have tried several P&S and I found that the Panasonic LX5 or the Canon G12 are among the best cameras for this type of pictures.

I also purchase a HD lense for the LX5 and the pictures I am able to get up close are beautiful even in very low light.
It also gives me additional zoom...what more can you ask for!

MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,411

Thanks John.

Centre focus looks good. You may need to experiment a bit more on a uniform static subject to check entire focus.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Jadis Forum Member • Posts: 92

I just bought the HX9 and happen to also own a Panasonic LX3 - comparing the two at with indoor lightiing the LX3 totally blows away the HX9 - like it's not even funny. But oddly, in the exact same lighting situation the converse is true when it comes to video: the HX9's video is less noisy, smoother motion, far far better - the LX3 video is a joke.

Sure the comparison is not quite sensical since the LX3 and LX5 are cameras with a smaller zoom range but their lenses are brighter and probably sharper. I bought the HX9 primarily for its video function anyway as I have a full frame DSLR for still pictures anyway.

vadim_c Senior Member • Posts: 1,712

People often want a camera that is as small as a coin, takes better pictures than Hasselblad and is free.

topcaser Junior Member • Posts: 38

To me pics look very good. How can i download the pics in full size?

I will order a Hx9v and i mainly use it vor videoing with photo-function. It outclasses my canon HF100 in videoing as well as in taking pics.

Furthermore i will use it in low light for a quick and dirty shot rather than my DSLR EOS350D which is too big to carry with me all the time. Nevertheless, this quick and dirty shotin low light is much more better than my TZ10.

What iam trying to say: Everybody has its own opinion, everybody has other experiences, everybody has at least one cam (photo or video), everybody has another focus what to fix in pictures - there isnt the ultimate cam out there.

And the Hx9 will definitly find its place among the video friends. Moreover, as i said before it takes better pics than most video cams.

Back to topic:

In a german forum one (who owns a Tx100v which has the very same sensor) worked out, that a 5MP pic ooc is better (from detail andsharpness point of view) than a 16MP when it comes to low light:

http://videotreffpunkt.com/thread.php?threadid=12139&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=12

He took a set of three pics in 16MP, 10MP and 5MP and resized (for comparing) each pic to 5MP in Lightroom. I can see more details in the bushes in the bottom of the picture. Maybe this is the deal in taking pics in low light: reduce resolution...

JohnWhoo, Can you double check this for us?

nikonsteve Regular Member • Posts: 136

Its nice to see someone actually saying what this camera is about ,as a package its amazing and at the price is even more amazing .

I love this website but there are too many ppl who are obsessed with p/peeping and have forgotten what a camera is for , why compare this with an LX3 or s95 or zr1 they are all much more expensive , by the way my nissan xtrail is not as nice as a bmw but I am quite happy with it .

I have just ordered an HX9 and i am sure will be great for a easy to carry cam that does everything !

hope to post some nice pics soon ....not just pictures of someones back yard
--
Was Nikon then Fuji then Canon now panasonic 4/3

Nanty Coy Regular Member • Posts: 171

Jeannie46 wrote:

I've just discovered that if you reduce the HX9V picture size to VGA you can zoom to 115x and it is usable (at the very least it allows you look at detail the eye cannot see)!

Nanty Coy's gear list:Nanty Coy's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A65
MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,411

Nanty Coy wrote:

Jeannie46 wrote:

I've just discovered that if you reduce the HX9V picture size to VGA you can zoom to 115x and it is usable (at the very least it allows you look at detail the eye cannot see)!

But do you really want low-res postcard-sized photos? A happier medium might be better.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Leonardo Ita Contributing Member • Posts: 820

JohnWho wrote:

PPPs = Pixel Peeper Perfectionists

Today I got an HX9V from my local Best Buy - the only one they had, I might add.

Took these two images to see for myself how the camera handles the green, green grass of home.

Note that the second image is a full optical zoom of the first image.

If you view these images "full screen" - in my case on a 22" wide screen monitor - I'd say they look very good. I doubt if I'd ever print one anywhere near this size. When you view them "full/original size", I won't argue that they aren't "pixel perfect", but I'm finding myself in agreement with those that find them acceptable for a P & S, especially one with all the other "bells and whistles" of the HX9V.

Just thought I'd share. I believe I've set them up correctly so you can view/download the full size originals with exif info.

Just sharing for those interested in this camera.

"pixel peeping" of the grass

Joe M Amadas Regular Member • Posts: 181

this function is perfect if you want to use the camera as a telescope to see something faaar away. Then in view mode zoom in 10x and you can make out "a license plate half a mile away".

A very useful function for the private investigator or the amateur peeping Bernhard

JohnWho OP Contributing Member • Posts: 853

MarioV wrote:

Thanks John.

Centre focus looks good. You may need to experiment a bit more on a uniform static subject to check entire focus.

Yeah, I was simply trying to get an image with grass showing both near and far.

I agree with those who have said that at normal viewing/printing sizes, the camera is acceptable.

PSB99X wrote:

I don't have a problem with HX9V's outdoor shots....they look nice.....But honestly, all P&S and compact cameras nowdays can handle outdoor shots pretty well.

I'll accept that as a general statement, as I think most will here.

The real test is dim light and indoor shots....this is what separates the "contenders" from the "pretenders" as they say.....as this is where the HX9V has problems and fall short of class leaders like the S95, LX5 and XZ-1.

No, that is only the "real test" if low light is a primary function for a user. I would say that most folks looking for a P & S will be pleased with acceptable images using a flash in a low light situation.

What if one also wants a P & S that offers great video? If that is more important to a user than the low light capability, then why not an HX9V at the price point?

Also, from what I've seen, just as the Sony's video is better than the others you mention, it really doesn't "blow them away", but it is better. Same from what little comparison I've seen regarding low light - the Sony isn't "blown away" by the others, but they are better.

I sometimes wonder why folks choose to argue over slight differences between cameras? I prefer to accentuate the positive aspects and if they meet the needs of a particular consumer, then good for them.

I mean, why tell folks not to buy a S95, LX5, XZ-1 since, in one's opinion, their video falls short of the Sony HX100V, HX9V, and TX100V?

One aspect we've mentioned here a few times is the ability to shoot video at 1920 x 1080 at 60 frames per second and then, using the supplied software, select one of those 1920 x 1080 images to view or print. I know 60 fps isn't high speed stop action, but one may get some great shots that they otherwise would not get by using this method.

Just rambling...

vadim_c wrote:

People often want a camera that is as small as a coin, takes better pictures than Hasselblad and is free.

Whoa!

Add great video to that and you just described my next camera!

MarioV wrote:

Nanty Coy wrote:

Jeannie46 wrote:

But do you really want low-res postcard-sized photos?

Probably not, but if the choice is no useable image or an image that's better than nothing...

Sort of why some folks have a "lesser" P & S camera - because having a P & S with you is better than having an expensive DSLR system in a bag at your house.

topcaser wrote:

To me pics look very good. How can i download the pics in full size?

I believe you can do that from the Gallery image, can't you? If I set it up correctly, you can view the originals there.

He took a set of three pics in 16MP, 10MP and 5MP and resized (for comparing) each pic to 5MP in Lightroom. I can see more details in the bushes in the bottom of the picture. Maybe this is the deal in taking pics in low light: reduce resolution...

JohnWhoo, Can you double check this for us?

I might try, but am not sure I'll be able to set up a good test subject/situation and I do not have Lightroom. Although, I would think the best test would be to simply upload the 3 images and let others download them and resize them in whatever program they would use.

Maybe someone else with an HX9V can help with this?

PSB99X Forum Member • Posts: 71

I'm talking about pocketable and compact cameras in similar price ranges. Why are you talking about DSLR's? From most user and professional reviews, it's generally agreed that the Oly XZ-1 is currently the tops when it comes to still photo capability. The S95 and LX5 are not that far behind. The HX9V however has the best video quality I've seen yet in a compact camera hands down!

riveredger Senior Member • Posts: 2,141

I think the pics look great, considering that this is a P&S camera. I have a question for those who own the HX9, though - I played with one in Best Buy yesterday and I couldn't figure out how to adjust the Aperture and SS while in M mode. Nothing happened when I spun the little wheel in the back. How are these setting changes performed?

riveredger's gear list:riveredger's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads