k5 vertical band in raw

Started Apr 19, 2011 | Discussions
Pontiac Paulie New Member • Posts: 23
k5 vertical band in raw

Hello I got my K5 yesterday and already have a question.

When I take a picure in RAW and upload to picassa at the far right there is a strange thin vertical strip, it has colours but not not enough definition to make anything out.
When I shoot in JPG it is not there.
I have tried a different memory card and same thing. has anyone else had this?

Paul.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992
Re: k5 vertical band in raw

Can we see a picture of this?

steephill Veteran Member • Posts: 9,861

Have you tried another raw editor? What size is the image (pixels) in Picassa?

-- hide signature --
jerrymouse12 Regular Member • Posts: 330

Seems like RAW editor problem to me (bad/no support for K-5).

OP Pontiac Paulie New Member • Posts: 23

Thanks for the help folks, it was Picassa, If I use Silky Pics everyting is alright.

Now just to take more pictures.

Paul.

GordonBGood Veteran Member • Posts: 6,312

Pontiac Paulie wrote:

Thanks for the help folks, it was Picassa, If I use Silky Pics everyting is alright.

Paul, perhaps I can add a little enlightenment to what causes the strange vertical strip on the right side of raw images from many Pentax DSLR's (in landscape orientation) for many raw converter programs, including Picasa, as follows:

1) Many or most of the free raw converter programs are based on the open source raw converter written in the computing language 'C' from Dave Coffin, or dcraw. This inclusion may be limited to only the routines used to read and decompress the raw data and meta data as required with custom actual raw Bayer Colour Filter Array (CFA) pattern interpolation or "demosiacing" or may include all of those routines as used by dcraw.

2) Most Pentax camera raw data files include a margin of "garbage" strange photosites on the right side which are included for no known reason other than perhaps it is the way the hardware graphics engine scans the sensor.

3) There is meta in the Pentax raw files which identify the actual area of the sensor exposed to light so that raw conversion programs can strip the extra border areas from the image.

4) A programmer can read the dcraw source code to see that it does not fully read and/or does not properly apply this meta data border information to properly crop the Pentax DSLR raw images.

5) This extra strange vertical band (for landscape orientation images) is present for many of the free image viewers/converters, such as Picasa, Faststone, RawTherapee (at least for older versions), etcetera.

6) The presence of these strange borders is not really an indication of a poor conversion as they do not affect the rest of the image and may be simply cropped out if one generally likes the rest of the results.

Regards, GordonBGood

Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,896

Since the issue doesn't appear in JPEGs, it's not likely to be a memory card or hardware issue. More likely an artefact from Picasa's particular RAW to JPEG conversion.

Assuming your RAW images are currently saved as PEF files, I would try switching to DNG and see if that makes a difference.

-- hide signature --
GordonBGood Veteran Member • Posts: 6,312

Model Mike wrote:

Since the issue doesn't appear in JPEGs, it's not likely to be a memory card or hardware issue. More likely an artefact from Picasa's particular RAW to JPEG conversion.

Assuming your RAW images are currently saved as PEF files, I would try switching to DNG and see if that makes a difference.

Mike, I suspect that the OP was already using DNG's since AFAIK the most recent version of Picasa (3.8) does not support the K-5's PEF files.

The issue doesn't appear in camera generated JPEG's because the camera knows how to crop these "strange borders" from the final image as Picasa is not doing properly, as per my first post to this thread.

Regards, GordonBGood

Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,896

GordonBGood wrote:

Mike, I suspect that the OP was already using DNG's since AFAIK the most recent version of Picasa (3.8) does not support the K-5's PEF files.

The issue doesn't appear in camera generated JPEG's because the camera knows how to crop these "strange borders" from the final image as Picasa is not doing properly, as per my first post to this thread.

Thanks for the clarification Gordon.

-- hide signature --
OP Pontiac Paulie New Member • Posts: 23

So now that I have everything working like I want it, I tore my retina and had to go to Vancouver for emergency surgery.

Now I have to stay with my head looking at the floor until Monday and then take it easy.
Pictures of my feet are not very interesting.
Still so far it seems to be a brilliant camera.

Paul.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads