Thoughts on a Nikon "LIVE" camera (Lens: Interchangeable; View: Electronic)

Started Apr 19, 2011 | Discussions
Fotogeneticist Regular Member • Posts: 117
Thoughts on a Nikon "LIVE" camera (Lens: Interchangeable; View: Electronic)

If Nikon were to create a LIVE camera (Lens: Interchangeable; View: Electronic), or a compact camera with a DX sized sensor with interchangeable lenses and no mirror box, kind of like a Nikon S2 but without a viewfinder, how many of you would be interested in it?

Fotogeneticist's gear list:Fotogeneticist's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +16 more
pluton Senior Member • Posts: 2,974
Re: Thoughts on a Nikon "LIVE" camera (Interchangeable Lens, Electric View)

I'd be interested in any case, but particularly if it had the ability to be accurately zone focused without looking into a finder or at an LCD screen. Also, it needs to have an efficient way to view in sunlight(EVF or some kind of viewing hood+loupe for the LCD). Unfortunately, it'll probably have AF, which complicates manual focus design in a small lens.
--
-KB-

pluton's gear list:pluton's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
I prefer EVIL

An Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens camera with an FX sensor, 24+ mp, 1080p @ 60 fps, for $1,000 would interest me. Otherwise...not so much.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Dominique Dierick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,494
Re: I prefer EVIL

it won't be much smaller than a DSLR in that case. What would be nice is the quiet shutter. Now, we do have a mirrorless GH2, and I find its shutter fairly noisy compared to the D7000 one. I wonder what Panasonic did with it to make it that noisy
--
Equipment: Nikon D3s, D700, D7000, Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

Dominique Dierick wrote:

Now, we do have a mirrorless GH2, and I find its shutter fairly noisy compared to the D7000 one. I wonder what Panasonic did with it to make it that noisy

Back in the film days I was comparing camera vibration for astrophotography. I found that the shutter alone (mirror lock-up) in an Olympus OM-1 produced more vibration than both mirror and shutter in a Nikon F. I don't recall noise levels, but the point is that engineering effort and skill (or the lack there of) can make a shutter in one camera worse than a shutter and mirror in another.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Dominique Dierick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,494

I used those two camera's too, back in the 103aO and 103aE and later the TP film time. My observation was just the opposite. I guess the foam in my OM1 was better than in the Nikon F ;). But even then, for lunar and planetary I used the hat trick all the time.

No wonder, with my scope sitting on a wooden platform. My parents did not allow me to have a steel/concrete pillar all through the house

-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D700, D7000
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Luke Kaven Veteran Member • Posts: 5,705
Re: Thoughts on a Nikon "LIVE" camera (Lens: Interchangeable; View: Electro

Two considerations:

1) It depends upon how they implement the viewfinder. Would it be a major advance over the X100? I'm interested in a hybrid VF with minimal invasiveness.

2) I'd buy if it were an FX sensor.

Fotogeneticist wrote:

If Nikon were to create a LIVE camera (Lens: Interchangeable; View: Electronic), or a compact camera with a DX sized sensor with interchangeable lenses and no mirror box, kind of like a Nikon S2 but without a viewfinder, how many of you would be interested in it?

bikinchris
bikinchris Forum Pro • Posts: 21,447

While EVIL is cute, any marketing manager who allows the name EVIL to be sold will quickly lose his job.

-- hide signature --

-> > "Oh, and since we're on the subject of advice, you may want to be a little leery of some of the advice you see on this, or any other, message board. If someone is giving you advice ......make a determination about how much weight you'll give that advice. You may find that sometimes there are 'serial-posters' on the internet that should read more and type less."
-Brian Blanco, Sarasota Florida

I include myself in that quote
Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
bikinchris
bikinchris Forum Pro • Posts: 21,447
I think it would be good

I agree that there would be a demand for a rangefinder or LIVE camera. I think tha if the pric eis right, I would buy one.

Fotogeneticist wrote:

-- hide signature --

-> > "Oh, and since we're on the subject of advice, you may want to be a little leery of some of the advice you see on this, or any other, message board. If someone is giving you advice ......make a determination about how much weight you'll give that advice. You may find that sometimes there are 'serial-posters' on the internet that should read more and type less."
-Brian Blanco, Sarasota Florida

I include myself in that quote
Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137

Fotogeneticist wrote:

How about we call it an ILV camera (interchangeable Lens, Live View)? TLA (three letter acronyms) tends to work well with people, and I like the catch of ILV.

Whatever name catches (EVIL is my favorite, but they don't have to have electronic viewfinders), I would love a full frame sensor ILV camera.

The APS-C models are a good start, but I am not really a fan of the 4/3 sensors.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137

viking79 wrote:

Fotogeneticist wrote:

How about we call it an ILV camera (interchangeable Lens, Live View)? TLA (three letter acronyms) tends to work well with people, and I like the catch of ILV.

Seriously, the poll results favored MILC (sic Milk)? We can milk that one for all its worth. I don't want my camera with milk, but if Pentax makes a brown MILC, I hope they call the color chocolate. Terrible acronym idea

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,527

I would be interested, as long as the following will be met:

1- With an adapter, I can use (AF,VR, ETC) all my FX and DX format lenses.
2- As long if its very very small, like a Nex or a gf1 but with better controls.
3- Waterproof with a set of lenses to match, the new Nikonos.
4- with built in Stabilization in body to use legacy glass
5- With built in GPS for maps, geotagging, altimeter, compass.
6- articulated LCD screen high resolution.

7- in addition no Jello video, HD 1024 and a regular VGA size slow motion to at least 220 fps. and smaller sizes up to 1000 frames per sec.

8- Panorama mode and variety of built in live effects, including grunge effects, diorama, with a touch screen system like a Iphone.

only that !!

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Ricoh WG-M1 Nikon Coolpix AW130 Nikon Coolpix P900 +75 more
ExposureMeter
ExposureMeter Senior Member • Posts: 1,776

What about DEVIL - Digital Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens.

-- hide signature --

Geoff
Gold Coast, Australia
http://www.alldigi.com

ExposureMeter's gear list:ExposureMeter's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +19 more
Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,527
Re: fx micro

I would even consider an additional camera, such as this FX or DX that can be used in high ISO without grain.

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Ricoh WG-M1 Nikon Coolpix AW130 Nikon Coolpix P900 +75 more
rondhamalam
rondhamalam Senior Member • Posts: 2,582
DEVIL would be cool

Digital Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens (DEVIL)

yeah, really cool

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads