Setup to "scan" negative film and slide

Started Apr 17, 2011 | Discussions
dantonvb Forum Member • Posts: 59
Setup to "scan" negative film and slide

I just finished my setup to digitize my collection of negative film and slide pictures. I used most Pentax equipment to do it:

1) Pentax *ist DL camera,
2) Pentax Auto Extension Tube K number 3 (26 mm extension)
3) SMC Pentax M 50/1.7 lens
4) Asahi Pentax Slide Copier

I used also an aluminium tube and a flash bracket.

The preliminary result seems very good. I will began to digitize next week, then I will post some results.

UtahManSir Veteran Member • Posts: 4,659
Re: Setup to "scan" negative film and slide

Interesting set up, I am working on designing something I can attach to my Quick Release plate that attaches the slide copier at the right height, then I can just attach my Camera sideways on the plate and go from there.

Let us know how it works!

Lloyd
--

β€œFor every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean and wrong.” Henry Louis Mencken

http://lloydshell.blogspot.com/
http://lloydshell.zenfolio.com/
WSSA #354

OP dantonvb Forum Member • Posts: 59

The Auto Extension Tube #3 and the 50/1.7 M lens give 0.65x to 0.70x magnification, depending on the focus position of the lens, so it is adequated to the crop factor of the APS-C sensor (1/1.53x=0.65). The entire process is:

1) Mount the film or slide in the Slide Copier
2) Take the picture

3) Invert with GIMP 2.6 and free "Colour Negative Inverter" plugin from Rayadagio ( http://rayadagio.de/ ) in auto mode.

The first result is a scan from a 1993 negative film from a portrait of my wife.

I used f8 aperture in manual setting as data in EXIF:

The view of flash bracket and aluminum tube setup:

popeyecahn Regular Member • Posts: 113

Wow that's a nice set up!

I had some Kodachromes I wanted digitized, the only issue is that they are not the standard format length wise (shot them in a Holga...). So what I did was to make a mask from black construction paper and used my lightbox for illumination. It was a hasty lash-up but it did get the job done for at least a working image. They'll have to be drum scanned to get it right though...

A "scan" test of a 1988 B/W negative:

Camera: Pentax SF-X
Lens: Pentax F 70-210/4-5.6
Film: Kodak T-Max 100

This picture was made several years ago, in october 1988, at Capitole Square at the city of Toulouse, France. The old man was alone at one side of the square.

popeyecahn Regular Member • Posts: 113

I don't know if you've ever seen 'King Of The Hill' but that man looks like Hank's dad Cotton! Wow that's a serious expression and a great photo!

dantonvb wrote:

This picture was made several years ago, in october 1988, at Capitole Square at the city of Toulouse, France. The old man was alone at one side of the square.

popeyecahn wrote:

I don't know if you've ever seen 'King Of The Hill' but that man looks like Hank's dad Cotton! Wow that's a serious expression and a great photo!

dantonvb wrote:

Thank you for your comments. I just made a new serie of tests, using a batch process:

1) Take the pictures of 36 frame negative film (5 minutes)
2) Invert using Irfanview batch
3) Auto levels with GIMP 2.6 and David´s Batch Processor (dbp-1.1.8)

The Invert and Auto Levels take 1 minute for all 36 frames. The whole process for a film with 36 frames is about 6 minutes.

Here is one result with this process:

justin23 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347

While i like your setup, i think i'd find it very frustrating.

That said i shoot 645 film, so ended up with an epson V600 scanner which does the job well.

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads