GXR hit the ground a second time...

Started Apr 12, 2011 | Discussions
Gerd Waloszek Contributing Member • Posts: 796
GXR hit the ground a second time...

Some people do not seem to learn from their mistakes -- I am among them...

I have to report that my GXR (with P10) hit the ground a second time -- this time it was asphalt and it was a hard crash. Therefore, the injuries were more severe this time: scratches and a broken plastic part that keeps the battery in place.

You can find details on my Website at:
http://www.waloszek.de/gxr_exp2_e.php#robust2
There you will also find a proposal for improvement (a little late...).

Best regards,
Gerd

Gerd Waloszek's gear list:Gerd Waloszek's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Ricoh GR Leica X Vario Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS200 +7 more
Joel Stern
Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,926
Re: GXR hit the ground a second time...

ouch..you need a safety pin or something to hold that area closed so it won't slip. Nasty looking hit. I hope all works ok.

reelacks Senior Member • Posts: 2,586

OUCH!!!!!,Sorry to see that Gerd,on the positive side, after such a big impact if everything is still working,that is sort of "positive".Personally i also use the double back method,but after the strap has been slightly shortened.I then burn the "cut ends"with a match or something, and that melts the strap and leaves a rough end which does not slide through the 'keeper'so readily. Tony.

OP Gerd Waloszek Contributing Member • Posts: 796

Thank you both for your empathy. I haven't checked the camera and P10 moduke in detail, but they seem to work. Nevertheless, I will have them checked after Easter...
Best regards, Gerd

Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Ricoh GR Leica X Vario Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS200 +7 more
schaki Senior Member • Posts: 2,329

Sorry to hear and see about this. Is that yellow pin needed to keep the battery pushed against its contacts in the camera? Or is it enough just to shut the battery-door?

If not, you might add something to put between the battery and the door to give it a slight push against the contacts so that the camera can be used.

I lost that darned yellow pin for one of my two Ricoh 400G wide (Is based on the G4 wide) some time ago but it still works with the DB-43 battery as the door keeps the battery pushed towards the contacts.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital

Sorry to hear and see about this. Is that yellow pin needed to keep the battery pushed against its contacts in the camera? Or is it enough just to shut the battery-door?

The latter -- so it is not really needed... But when I will send the cam for repair after Easter, the pin will be replaced via an exchange of body parts (I was told...).

Best regards,
Gerd

Re: GXR hit the ground a second time -- Repair report

Hi all and sorry for the double post,

In April and in this thread, I had posted that my GXR together with the P10 fell to the ground for a second time -- this time with more severe scratches and damage to the small orange battery holder. Otherwise, the body and module still worked well. Therefore, I used the camera until after Easter and sent both the body and the P10 module to Pirmasens for repair/check in mid May. I sent both on a Monday and got the P10 back the next Friday -- not bad!

I had had some issues with the P10 with respect to hangs after switching the camera on. Particularly after Easter, I had lots of hangs… While the hangs could not be replicated in Pirmasens, the technicians found an error in a logic board in the P10 module located between lens and sensor and replaced it. I haven't used the P10 enough for drawing any conclusions yet, but up to now I did not experience any hangs…

For the body, two cover parts had to be exchanged, which were not in stock. So I had to wait until June 1st before the body was returned to me. Not too bad! And all this for a flat rate of 45 Euros -- no reason to complain, either.

My RICOH contact Mr. Wutzke offered me a loan body for the time that my GXR body was in repair. First, I hesitated, but as soon as it looked as if I would have to wait longer, I asked him to send me one. He did so, but in the meantime the cover parts had also arrived at Pirmasens, and the loan body and my own body arrived on the same day.

In the meantime, the loan body is on its way back to Mr. Wutzke who supported me all the time. Thanks a lot!

Best regards, Gerd

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW Senior Member • Posts: 1,822

Hi Gerd,

happy ending after all, maybe its ime to pack that jewel into a decent case...

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list:BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Ricoh CX6 HTC Windows Phone 8X
Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,018
Try "TWSS" - Tom's wrist strap system

Gerd

Bad news about your camera drops and good news that you have received good support. I had a similar story when I opened my Lowepro backpack in the boot of the car and neglected to zip it up again. On returning home picked up the bag and an EOS body and lens did a backflip out of the bag on to solid concrete. Luckily the lens hood was on and protected the lens but the impact dislodged something inside the camera and it needed a factory repair. Cosmetically it was a scratched lens hood only so I guess I was lucky as the lens was worth more than the body.

Quite a few years ago I decided neck straps were for the birds and sore necks. So my cameras only have wrist straps. Not so messy when you put them away either.

For a while I bought commercial wrist straps but then I figured that they were easy to make. My current MkIII version is suitable smooth braided cord from a ladies sewing shop bought for not much by the metre. Cut a suitable length fold it in two and knot it. Feed it through the camera carry loops (you have to get the right cord to fit through here - a bent paper clip "hook" can help) and slip it back through itself to fix it. I make the right wrist strap a little longer and put a small piece of plastic tube over the doubled cord which if it slides with a little resistence can be used to lock the strap to your wrist.

When I am not using the camera it comes off my wrist and into a carry bag or belt bag. But make sure you zip up your Lowepro backpack! The fine type of cord I use is not difficult when storing, folds easily into bags and is scratch proof having no metal or plastic parts.

If they ever fray they are easy to replace and the whole setting up takes little time and it is very cheap. There are no adjusting clips to come off and you make the strap to the exact size that suits you.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell
I am always trying ...

Yes indeed!

maybe its ime to pack that jewel into a decent case...

Well, I have a case, but on hiking tours I prefer not to have it in the case (in the case = no photos).

Anyway, I also need a decent case for all the modules. Haven't found a satisfying solution yet.

Best regards, Gerd

Re: Try "TWSS" - Tom's wrist strap system

Tom,

Thank you for your instructive post. I can feel for you -- I am always anxious that the camera or module might fall out of the bag.

Actually, I am more inclined toward neck straps than wrist straps. I do not know why, maybe because I want to have my hands free while walking around. I also received proposals for combining the idea of a wrist strap and a neck strap. Maybe, one day, I will publish a web page will all the proposals that I received from various people. I hope that they will all to agree that I publish their proposals...

My wife is using a wrist strap for her R's and CX's and like you she used one with an adjusting clip. We bought such a strap a couple of years ago, and she is using it for all her cameras (in older times she had a Canon Ixus, which had such a wrist strap...).

Best regards,
Gerd

Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,018
Re: Try "TWSS" - Tom's wrist strap system

Gerd Waloszek wrote:

Tom,

Thank you for your instructive post. I can feel for you -- I am always anxious that the camera or module might fall out of the bag.

Actually, I am more inclined toward neck straps than wrist straps. I do not know why, maybe because I want to have my hands free while walking around. I also received proposals for combining the idea of a wrist strap and a neck strap. Maybe, one day, I will publish a web page will all the proposals that I received from various people. I hope that they will all to agree that I publish their proposals...

My wife is using a wrist strap for her R's and CX's and like you she used one with an adjusting clip. We bought such a strap a couple of years ago, and she is using it for all her cameras (in older times she had a Canon Ixus, which had such a wrist strap...).

Best regards,
Gerd

Gerd my ideas are simple, usable and unpatentable. If they can help anyone feel free.

Methods of attaching cameras to prevent dropping and provide ease of use are very personal and what works for me will not necessarily work for others.

Having a wrist strap can be a bother and on my dslr gear I have very stout straps that are strong enough to let the camera "dangle" for a short period whilst I use both hands.

Energetic movements with a dslr equipped with battery pack and large lens are not recommended with the gear hanging from your wrist but I have done this when I have needed to use both hands for a short while quite a few times without disaster so far.

Will post up some images to show how I personally have tackled the problem.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell
I am always trying ...

Rob13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
2 small differences?...GXR hit the ground a second time...

Hi there,
I noted 2 small differences which might help?

From page ii of the owner's manual there appear to be 2 differences between their picture and yours.

Firstly you appear to be missing the missing 2 plastic "strap eyelets" (guide clasps) which go in between the camera and the "clips" (locking buckle). What happened you those 2 little "strap eyelets"? They may help to reduce the camera strap pressure/movement on the locking buckle when the camera sways on the strap?

Secondly is the distance between the "clips" (locking buckle) and the camera. I noticed yours is placed very close the the camera body to give you a bit more strap length. Just a thought but, although I'm not a physics major, this location also can reduce the effectiveness of the "clips" since there is insufficient tension on the strap before it enters the "clips" (locking buckle).

Ok if that doesn't help then perhaps its just the intensity of your hiking and the camera is swinging out quite a bit with a considerably amount of movement. If so you'll need to consider sewing the strap end down so it never comes undone.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
R3A M6-9 X100 GXR G2 DP2

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
Re: 2 small differences?...GXR hit the ground a second time...

Hi Rob13,
Thank your for your reply and careful looks at the photos.

Firstly you appear to be missing the missing 2 plastic "strap eyelets" (guide clasps) which go in between the camera and the "clips" (locking buckle). What happened you those 2 little "strap eyelets"? They may help to reduce the camera strap pressure/movement on the locking buckle when the camera sways on the strap?

Indeed, the two plastic parts are missing now. Actually, one got lost in the first crash (couldn't find it), the second one in the second crash (forgot to look for it). So while you rightfully mention that they help reduce the pressure, in my case, the strap went loose at an end where such a part had been... Now, of course, there is none left. I will ask my Ricoh contact where I can get them...

Secondly is the distance between the "clips" (locking buckle) and the camera. I noticed yours is placed very close the the camera body to give you a bit more strap length. Just a thought but, although I'm not a physics major, this location also can reduce the effectiveness of the "clips" since there is insufficient tension on the strap before it enters the "clips" (locking buckle).

Yes, I did that, but I am unsure whether that really makes a difference. It could indeed if the body and the buckle touch because they are too close together...

Ok if that doesn't help then perhaps its just the intensity of your hiking and the camera is swinging out quite a bit with a considerably amount of movement. If so you'll need to consider sewing the strap end down so it never comes undone.

Actually, I am a slow walker due to my bad hips...
Sewing the strip (or some other kind of fastening) is definitely a good idea.

Many thanks again & best regards,
Gerd

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads