Missed Phil Askey's camera reviews write-up... anyone?

Started Apr 11, 2011 | Discussions
Soo Yee Seong Junior Member • Posts: 37
Missed Phil Askey's camera reviews write-up... anyone?

It has been long time not seeing any Phil Askey's review...

Although knowing that he is no longer involved in editorial role nowadays, but still missed those old days. Phil Askey's reviews were used to be my favorite reviews to read.

-- hide signature --

We Love Photography!

ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482
Re: Missed Phil Askey's camera reviews write-up... anyone?

Two signs that always draw my attention:

GONE FISHING (simple yet puzzling, the first sign of one's step towards insanity)

DO NOT WALK. THE GRASS IS RESTING. (confusing, isn't it)

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100
William Carson
William Carson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,710

Yes, I miss phil's occasional pithy comments in the forums but also the photos of his wife standing against a backdrop of the London bridge in the review examples of cameras.
Will

Phil Askey Veteran Member • Posts: 9,821

Bah!

William Carson wrote:

Yes, I miss phil's occasional pithy comments in the forums but also the photos of his wife standing against a backdrop of the London bridge in the review examples of cameras.
Will

-- hide signature --

Phil Askey
Founder, dpreview.com

Phil Askey's gear list:Phil Askey's gear list
Leica M8 Leica M9 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T1 +11 more
OP Soo Yee Seong Junior Member • Posts: 37

Oh... Hello Phil ! ;D

-- hide signature --

We Love Photography!

Don Fraser Senior Member • Posts: 1,284

Humbug!

Simon Joinson
Simon Joinson dpreview Admin • Posts: 5,013

Soo Yee Seong wrote:

Although knowing that he is no longer involved in editorial role nowadays, but still missed those old days. Phil Askey's reviews were used to be my favorite reviews to read.

-- hide signature --

We Love Photography!

Phil still writes all the reviews and forum posts, as he always has. It's just that since 2008 he's been using a series of aliases / pen names (including this one) to make it look like we have more staff.
--
Simon Joinson, Editor
dpreview.com

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +23 more
Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,887
Many a true word spoken in jest ? (NT)
-- hide signature --

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha a7R Sony a77 II +17 more

Oh... really?
if that's so, is good to hear that his spirit is still around.

-- hide signature --

We Love Photography!

jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,945

Soo Yee Seong wrote:

-- hide signature --

We Love Photography!

You must be a Canon guy!

I for one am happy to see the Phil is not doing reviews any longer as his bias toward Canon evolved from mere adulation of Canon to fanboyism argumentum ad nauseam.

Times have changed, and there are other worthy camera brands out there besides Canon with some interesting new designs. I want to read unbiased reviews of these other cameras without Phil's peevish disdain toward those other brands that was so pervasive and predictable in his reviews. Frankly, I am glad he move on and enjoy the other reviewers much more than I ever did Phil.

Best regards,
Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
Alashi
Alashi Contributing Member • Posts: 569

Times have changed, and there are other worthy camera brands out there besides Canon

That's crazy talk! Where sre the censors when you need one ....

Alashi

Alashi's gear list:Alashi's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot SD900 Canon PowerShot G10 +29 more
jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,945

Alashi wrote:

Times have changed, and there are other worthy camera brands out there besides Canon

That's crazy talk! Where sre the censors when you need one ....

Alashi

Well if you don't see me post here again, you will know the reason why!

Best regards,
Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
Phil Askey Veteran Member • Posts: 9,821

Said from a truly neutral position.

-- hide signature --

Phil Askey
Founder, dpreview.com

Phil Askey's gear list:Phil Askey's gear list
Leica M8 Leica M9 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T1 +11 more

well... everyone may have their own interpretation from reading, and to justify everyone taste is always not an easy job for a editor.

although I am a Canon user, I also like SONY TV, PlayStation... NIKON spectacles lens... SAMSUNG monitor... Olympus/Panasonic mirrorless micro compact... Fujifilm FinePix X100... EPSON printer...

-- hide signature --

We Love Photography!

dholl
dholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,173

I've been reading such useless comments here for years. Apparently Phil is biased towards every single camera maker...apart from Olympus, naturally.

jonikon wrote:

You must be a Canon guy!

I for one am happy to see the Phil is not doing reviews any longer as his bias toward Canon evolved from mere adulation of Canon to fanboyism argumentum ad nauseam.

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 44,871

Coming from, someone who yesterday started a useless thread ie: Which is best, Canon or Nikon , we will will still continue to ignore you Dholl.
jules

dholl wrote:

I've been reading such useless comments here for years. Apparently Phil is biased towards every single camera maker...apart from Olympus, naturally.

dholl

JulesJ wrote:

Coming from, someone who yesterday started a useless thread ie: Which is best, Canon or Nikon , we will will still continue to ignore you Dholl.

Congratulations, you have won this month's Excrutiatingly Embarrassing award.

If you still don't understand, I suggest you check my reply in that thread you just mentioned.

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 44,871

Are you referring to a belated and uninteresting comment about mirror less cameras, or your other reply where you blaspheme?
Neither redeems you.
Jules

dholl wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Congratulations, you have won this month's Excrutiatingly Embarrassing award.

If you still don't understand, I suggest you check my reply in that thread you just mentioned.

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

dholl

JulesJ wrote:

Are you referring to a belated and uninteresting comment about mirror less cameras, or your other reply where you blaspheme?

blaspheme? Where? What the hell you on about?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads