Step Down / step up Ring for filters

Started Apr 9, 2011 | Discussions
jertzeedon Regular Member • Posts: 122
Step Down / step up Ring for filters

I currently have D5000 with the Nikkor 18-55mm DX lens with a 52 mm thread for filters.
I have a HOYA polarising filter for this lens.

I also have a Tamron 70-300mm lens which has a 62mm thread for filters.....

Now, do I get a step down ring 62mm-52mm so I can use the Hoya filter filter with the Tamron lens, or should I go and buy another filter?

Is it better to get a bigger filter and step down, or a best to get two filters?

thanks

scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595
Re: Step Down / step up Ring for filters

Rings are a very economical option. I have a 67-77 ring I bought for $10, so I can use my 77mm polarizer on a 67mm lens. One big drawback of such a ring is you can't use a hood - but considering that you need access to the filter to rotate it in proper orientation, you are likely not going to use a hood with a polarizer anyway.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,357

The problem with step up adapters is you can't use the lens hood with such an adpater. I have a polarizer for each size of lens. Yes, I use the hood when a polarizer is mounted.

Mark

jertzeedon wrote:

I currently have D5000 with the Nikkor 18-55mm DX lens with a 52 mm thread for filters.

Now, do I get a step down ring 62mm-52mm so I can use the Hoya filter filter with the Tamron lens, or should I go and buy another filter?

Is it better to get a bigger filter and step down, or a best to get two filters?

thanks

yiannispreview Junior Member • Posts: 40

jertzeedon wrote:

Stepping down from 62 to 52mm filter size
on a 70-300 f/4-5,6 SHOULD be OK as far as vignetting is concerned.

YET, if you add a polariser - these filters are a bit thick - you might get some nice vignetting ...

I 'd give it a try if I were you.

If you intend to use a polarising filter, make sure the front element of your lens
does not rotate when the lens focuses.

tclune Senior Member • Posts: 1,297

Mark B. wrote:

The problem with step up adapters is you can't use the lens hood with such an adpater. I have a polarizer for each size of lens. Yes, I use the hood when a polarizer is mounted.

+1

Windancer
Windancer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,560

jertzeedon wrote:

Personally I would get 2 filters as my first choice, I tend to use my hoods with my polarizers whenever possible.

IMHO I would get the larger filter and a step down ring so that it would not vignette on the lens with the larger front end.

Terry
--
Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
http://gallery.reginaphotoclub.com/TGraham
See my profile for all my equipment.

Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +21 more
Snapshott Senior Member • Posts: 2,308

Mark B. wrote:

Mark

If you want to use a hood you'll need to find a screw-on hood the will attach to the front of the polarizer. The tricky part can be trying to find the right length so you don't have any vignetting. I've usually try to use a hood made for the same focal length FX lens. then I don't have a problem on my dx cameras.

The other good thing about the screw on hoods is that you can still rotate the polarizing filter.

-- hide signature --

Snapshott

Snapshott's gear list:Snapshott's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D80 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +19 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,357

Snapshott wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Mark

If you want to use a hood you'll need to find a screw-on hood the will attach to the front of the polarizer.

Umm, nope. All of my lens hoods use a bayonet mount to the lens. The polarizer uses the threaded mount independently of the hood mount. I mount the polarizer, adjust, then mount the hood.

The tricky part can be trying to find the right length so you don't have any vignetting. I've usually try to use a hood made for the same focal length FX lens. then I don't have a problem on my dx cameras.

I have no vignetting problems, mostly because I use a thin-mount polarizer.

The other good thing about the screw on hoods is that you can still rotate the polarizing filter.

Unfortunately that means if it is a petal shaped hood there's a good chance it will not be oriented properly.

Mark

ExposureMeter
ExposureMeter Senior Member • Posts: 1,801

I use 77mm filters and step up rings for other lenses.
I also have an extra 77mm lens cover and a 77mm screw on lens hood.

-- hide signature --

Geoff
Gold Coast, Australia
http://www.alldigi.com

ExposureMeter's gear list:ExposureMeter's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +19 more
bills_pix
bills_pix Contributing Member • Posts: 548

I use step up rings so I can use my Nikon 77mm polarizer on my lenses with smaller filter rings, i.e. 62mm 105VR and 52mm 50/1.4. I have also purchased retractable rubber lens hoods that fits in the 77mm threads of the polarizer. I really doubt that a 77mm screw in rubber lens hood will vignette on a 52mm lens.

Here is the lens hood I bought which can be rolled back or extended as needed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZZ-77mm-Rubber-Lens-Hood-f-Standard-Wide-Tele-Focus-/170617037106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b9916132

Works for me and for 2 rings and a lens hood, I've spent less than $10.
--

'There is only one success - to be able to spend your life your own way.' -- Christopher Morley

bills_pix's gear list:bills_pix's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads