Just a few from my HX9V

Started Apr 9, 2011 | Discussions
dereham Junior Member • Posts: 33
Just a few from my HX9V

Birdie heavily cropped and all at 10m.

harry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,305
Re: Just a few from my HX9V

Excellent! If you don't mind, could you show us the results of 10 fps full-frame. In theory the IQ should be the same, but just curious.

Also, would a reduced size, say 10mp, results in lesser IQ? For all practical purposes, 16mp would be too much.
--
HLL7575

harry's gear list:harry's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 +9 more
MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,629

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing, dereham.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
OP dereham Junior Member • Posts: 33

harry wrote:

Excellent! If you don't mind, could you show us the results of 10 fps full-frame. In theory the IQ should be the same, but just curious.

As soon as possible

Also, would a reduced size, say 10mp, results in lesser IQ? For all practical purposes, 16mp would be too much.
--
HLL7575

All were taken using 10mp. Will download all other mp settings soon as poss.

Dereham

Short video test here..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISLLtAwXIUo

MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,629

Thanks again, dereham. I think its becoming quite clear that this is the camera to get.
Any issues with the GPS? Or can it be turned off?

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Lofi Regular Member • Posts: 167

the sound of the video is very good. thanks for sharing!

onQ Regular Member • Posts: 122

Thank you very much my faith is restored

SemiLOOSE Regular Member • Posts: 120
GPS can be turned off - completely

i read from another person who has it that GPS can be turned off when you set up the camera for the first time.

and you have to reset camera settings to turn it on/off

camfused Junior Member • Posts: 32

Thanks for posting. Doesn't shooting at 10M pixels just crop out 6M pixels around the edges (i.e. no advantage for doing this)? I don't know, so that is why I am asking. Ideally, the sensor would double up some pixels to make super pixels.

TechOutsider Senior Member • Posts: 2,979

No, the camera doesn't crop out the pixels - otherwise the crop factor would be increased and you'd lose the 24mm wide angle.

camfused wrote:

Thanks for posting. Doesn't shooting at 10M pixels just crop out 6M pixels around the edges (i.e. no advantage for doing this)?

Ideally, resizing should be down on the computer using a known and high-quality algorithm such as Lanczos.

We don't know how the Sony resizes image in camera and the resizing process may be limited by processing power.

I don't know, so that is why I am asking. Ideally, the sensor would double up some pixels to make super pixels.

Same Scene different settings

Intelligent Auto 16mp

Superior Auto 16mp

Scene Mode Landscape 16mp

2nd Video Test.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24786232@N03/5606236104/

It wasn't particularily windy but at the end of this this test it sounds none to clever. A cause for concern perhaps?

IA mode was used.

Nanty Coy Regular Member • Posts: 171
Re: GPS can be turned off - completely

SemiLOOSE wrote:

i read from another person who has it that GPS can be turned off when you set up the camera for the first time.

and you have to reset camera settings to turn it on/off

Nope - you can turn it on and off at will from the menu settings, see on my website:

http://www.monmouthweather.co.uk/HX9V/contents/08/03/15/15.html#l2_gps

Nanty Coy's gear list:Nanty Coy's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A65
onQ Regular Member • Posts: 122
Re: 2nd Video Test.

dereham wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24786232@N03/5606236104/

It wasn't particularily windy but at the end of this this test it sounds none to clever. A cause for concern perhaps?

IA mode was used.

if it wasn't particularily windy why was the lady's hair & skirt blowing in the wind?

harry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,305

This 2nd video didn't seem to be at the highest speed or full HD resolution. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Also, in general, it'd be hard to hold a small camera steady in a zoom. I consider myself a good photographer with steady hands. I would normally not pan the camera too quickly across a wide view.
--
HLL7575

harry's gear list:harry's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 +9 more
zurtvortex Forum Member • Posts: 65

harry wrote:

Also, in general, it'd be hard to hold a small camera steady in a zoom. I consider myself a good photographer with steady hands. I would normally not pan the camera too quickly across a wide view.

I find with the movie mode set to its highest (PS/28Mbps) which is 50fps, panning L to R (or vice versa!) is very smooth and wind cut works well without reducing the sound quality (which is superb) too much. Also, the Active Steadyshot is so effective it is possible to hand-hold at 16x zoom and get an image that almost looks like it is on a tripod!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads