HS20 Issues - Share yours here....

Started Apr 7, 2011 | Discussions
Silent Oracle
Silent Oracle Senior Member • Posts: 2,913
HS20 Issues - Share yours here....

Feel free to add any issues your HS20 is experiencing. Maybe Paul from Fuji will mysteriously appear...

Thus far:

Me & WJ - serious overheating with camera going into lockdown
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=38156155

Daniel - Fungus/lens
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=38159747

Maurizio - crack on inner lens of camera
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=38159137
--
Silent Oracle

Yuri P
Yuri P Regular Member • Posts: 290
Re: HS20 Issues - Share yours here....

I do not have HS20, but, from what I read, the loss of bracketing settings is an issue.
--
I am a workaholic. I love workahol.

Yuri P's gear list:Yuri P's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
James Cafferty Veteran Member • Posts: 5,364

Silent Oracle wrote:

Feel free to add any issues your HS20 is experiencing. Maybe Paul from Fuji will mysteriously appear...

Thus far:

Me & WJ - serious overheating with camera going into lockdown
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=38156155

Daniel - Fungus/lens
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=38159747

Maurizio - crack on inner lens of camera
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=38159137

Hi! Jada,
Do you know if the initial batch of HS20 were made in China, or Japan?
--
All the best,
Jim

Photographers take pictures, not cameras.

Ralph McKenzie Senior Member • Posts: 2,072

The HS20 and HS10 as far as I know are made in the same factory in Indonesia.

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.blogspot.com/
Fuji HS10,Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +1 more
James Cafferty Veteran Member • Posts: 5,364

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

Love dat Fuji

Thanks! Ralph. I would have been surprised and disappointed if they had been Made in Japan. All of my Made in Japan electronics have performed flawlessly --- and I don't want to see that change.

Apparently, there are no Fuji Quality Assurance people in that Indonesia plant.
--
All the best,
Jim

Photographers take pictures, not cameras.

gbshooter Forum Member • Posts: 60

Had been anticipating this camera for a long time. Arrived from Amazon and was back in the box 90 minutes later. I had read the manual online so was ready for the basics and setup of this camera.

• Auto-focus almost unusable beyond 300mm (135 equiv). Hunts continuously and when it does stop is out of focus most of the time. Using Set area was worse than center. Tracking was crazy. Medium and wide ok.

• Using alkaline, within 15 minutes of just pointing around the yard and the bird feeders, the camera overheated.

At this point it was no longer worth my time. I had sold my 20IS months ago in anticipation of this camera. I am going to look for a used one again. I had great results from that camera.

I was expecting more. This was my second Fuji camera the first being an F-30. Fabulous camera. Not so on the HS20. The purpose of a camera like this is to have the capability of super telephoto when needed. The HS-20 just doesn't cut.

Ronald Contributing Member • Posts: 598

The HS20 that I have clearly says made in china .

My grip is that the camera comes without a Hard Copy of the manual you need to truely use the camera.
Yes they give you a pdf file to print for yourself
Yes almost everybody is doing it now
Yes I have made myself a hard copy
--
Ronald Nikon cp4500, tc-e2, canon tc-dc58n, Fuji S9000

Silent Oracle
OP Silent Oracle Senior Member • Posts: 2,913
Jim, Ralph, Ronald

Jim, like Ronald's - mine also states China.

I've been out testing - not so sure I'll keep it this time around.
--
Silent Oracle

LSF Contributing Member • Posts: 604

sent mine back...focus was off on alot of pictures, weird softness in random spots in images, foliage was horrible on this camera

My KX and Tamron 28-300 weigh less and take much better pics so I will stick with that

LSF's gear list:LSF's gear list
Canon EOS M50
Gary N W Forum Pro • Posts: 10,857
Re: HS20 Issues - Share yours here....Hi Lady S. Oracle

I have only one thing I can contribute. That is I have a couple of other brand digital cameras MFD in Indonesia and I was surprised @ the quality of their assembly and testing done there. I would not hesitate if the issue was only related to the MFR of the HS20.

All the best and success and most of all soooo very glad to see you once again in DPR if only occasionally.

Gary N W SFO

wongcy0225 New Member • Posts: 20
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,322
Cheap labor and nothing more

James Cafferty wrote:

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

Love dat Fuji

Thanks! Ralph. I would have been surprised and disappointed if they had been Made in Japan. All of my Made in Japan electronics have performed flawlessly --- and I don't want to see that change.

Apparently, there are no Fuji Quality Assurance people in that Indonesia plant.

When a Japanese company decides to build their cameras in another country (i.e. China, Indonesia, wherever) it's not because they are trying to improve the quaility. They do it to save money with cheaper labor and hope to keep the product quality "good enough".

If I am going to lay out big money for a camera I want it made with the best workmanship and for me that means Japan.
--

Not one duck, squirrel, seagull, pigeon, flower, or statue photo posted in 4+ years.

herbiecook Regular Member • Posts: 494

Sorry to hear that LSF. I just ordered mine and hope for the best. I know when everyone was having trouble with the HS10, mine has worked great. Lets hope that this is an isolated situation.

herbiecook's gear list:herbiecook's gear list
Nikon D600
Sacrifice New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Cheap labor and nothing more

I decided to take a flashlight and look for fungus in the lens and instead found a few specks of dust. But what really is upsetting me is the filthy lens that the camera shipped with. Looking straight at the front element, I could not see the any issues, but with a flashlight at an angle to the lens, it looked like someone took their finger and smeared grease over 3/4 of the lens. I cleaned it up as best as I could, but grease is not that easy to get completely off a lens.

Looking at a few images I took, they are excellent, with no evidence of any issues with dust or the grease (or whatever it was) on the lens. I am not sure if I should return the camera or not, especially considering the dust inside the lens where I cannot clean.

Other things that I am not impressed with:

• Zoom has a bump, but that is livable.

• Battery door - LOL - junk.

• Japanese company item made in China

Overall, even with these issues, I like the camera and will use it hiking and backpacking, and other placed where I do not want to haul my D300.

Sacrifice's gear list:Sacrifice's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix F500 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon D300 +1 more
ZoranC Veteran Member • Posts: 5,569

SO, it is great to see your post

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 59,038

I am not sure if I should return the camera or not, especially considering the dust inside the lens where I cannot clean.

I would return it even if the camera as a model was a keeper (which IMO it certainly is not on image quality grounds) - the zoom shouldn't be bumpy according to other HS users and there shouldn't be grease on the underside the front element ..

• Japanese company item made in China

don't worry about that - some of the worst put together lenses are still made in Japan - Sigma consistently throw out dud after dud off their japanese production lines as do (to a lesser degree) Tamron and Canon .. Funny how Chinese constructed Tamron 70-300 VCs and 18-270VCs are more consistent . Hmmm . another example is the Canon G9 / A650IS debacle, three out of three G9s in our family had sensor misalignment giving the effect of a decentered lens (blurred side) every single chinese constructed A650IS I've seen (about 6 in total, I've owned Three) were perfect .

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III

Sacrifice wrote:

... it looked like someone took their finger and smeared grease over 3/4 of the lens. I cleaned it up as best as I could, but grease is not that easy to get completely off a lens.

Looked at products from Purosol. I use it on all of my lens.

MFauli Forum Member • Posts: 64

oh man, this is so disappointing to hear :/ I was planning to finally buy a superzoom, and the hs20 sounded fantastic. I could have even ignored the focusing-problems in video-mode. but all these overheating complaints, now a problem with auto-focus when taking photos....sigh.

kjkw Contributing Member • Posts: 544

I was planning to finally buy a superzoom

You may want to consider the Sony HX100V, as I now am. It supposedly has fast, accurate focus, but is somewhat less SLR-like, with no RAW, hotshoe, or lens filter threads. But it's also smaller and lighter. ASR45 in the Sony Talk forum has been posting his results. You can find some of his full-size images here:

http://www.pbase.com/aland100/hx100v&page=all

He likes bright colors and strong sharpening, and I believe he keeps the camera set that way. He has no interest in video, so don't even ask, but I would expect a Sony to do excellent video.

LSF wrote:

My KX and Tamron 28-300 weigh less and take much better pics so I will stick with that

I knew it

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads