Canon s95 Lens Error

Started Apr 7, 2011 | Discussions
nikcanshtr New Member • Posts: 2
Canon s95 Lens Error

I loved my s95, for the three days that it worked. I got great low light images and video. The closeups, sunsets, and people shots all looked wonderful. The image quality was great. The third day that I had it, I got a "lens error" and it stopped working. I looked through the manual and internet and couldn't find any solutions. I took it back to BestBuy, where they have a fourteen day return policy and got another one. Same thing!!! I test shot about a half dozen photos and a few short video clips over the next four or five days and got great results. I was just as impressed as the first time. The next time i pulled the camera out, i got the same "lens error" message and an unusable camera. Back to BestBuy where their Geek Squad also deemed the camera unusable. I turned down the option of another s95 and took a refund instead. I looked on the internet for "Canon s95 problems" and just came up with simple generic issues. When I tried again with a search for "Canon s95 lens error restart" I found quite a few people had this same problem. I was very frustrated as I really liked everything about the camera and it's quality images but that was completely meaningless if the camera either had a serious design or manufacturing flaw. I've returned to using my older Canon SD780 as I begin another search for a "pocket" camera. I cringe thinking about having the Canon s95 at a once in lifetime photo op and having it malfunction. Luckily for me, the camera broke down within a 14 day return period.

Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,683
Re: Canon s95 Lens Error

That's just the reason I don't mind carrying two small cameras with complementary capabilities - one with a fast, wide, lens and the other with a longer zoom. Not only do I have a wider range of options than any single camera can provide, but I have some degree of backup in case of failure.
--
Cyril

PaulRivers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,420

Man, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that.

steve1984 Senior Member • Posts: 1,257

Only two cameras? That's taking a huge risk in my opinion. I always carry three or four small cameras with me.

Not only do I have a much wider range of options than any single camera can provide, but I have a backup in case of a multiple failure.

Cyril Catt wrote:

That's just the reason I don't mind carrying two small cameras with complementary capabilities - one with a fast, wide, lens and the other with a longer zoom. Not only do I have a wider range of options than any single camera can provide, but I have some degree of backup in case of failure.
--
Cyril

Nell27
Nell27 Senior Member • Posts: 2,708

steve1984 wrote:

Only two cameras? That's taking a huge risk in my opinion. I always carry three or four small cameras with me.

Not only do I have a much wider range of options than any single camera can provide, but I have a backup in case of a multiple failure.

Steve,

You're joking, right?

I can understand someone needing a backup camera if they have some important event to shoot but three or four seems like overkill.

I only own two compacts so I guess the best I could do would be one backup but I've been lucky with Canon cameras and haven't had any mechanical problems.

Actually, I don't shoot anything that important any more so if the camera I have with me breaks I'd just cuss a little and not worry about it.

robnich Contributing Member • Posts: 652

The usual cause of the lens error in the S95 is the flash deploying when a finger blocks its path. Generally all that is necessary to clear the error is to restart the camera. I find that I almost never use the flash, as the low-light capability of the S95 is outstanding, so I keep the flash turned off. In those rare cases when I do need flash I make sure my finger is out of the way.

Bob N.

robnich's gear list:robnich's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X100S
steve1984 Senior Member • Posts: 1,257

Of course I'm joking! It was my (failed) attempt at being facetious.

Nell27 wrote:

steve1984 wrote:

Steve,

You're joking, right?

Nell27

I'm like you and keep that flash turned off unless I need it to fill in shadow areas or to compensate for a brightly lite background.

An external flash can be a blessing, at times, but the built in flash on a compact is usually a problem.

Plus, as you said, if you keep the flash turned off you never have to worry about it jumping up and causing you to loose your grip on the camera.

Nell27

steve1984 wrote:
Of course I'm joking! It was my (failed) attempt at being facetious.

Nell27 wrote:

steve1984 wrote:

Steve,

You're joking, right?

Had me going for a minute.

Bevorules1977 New Member • Posts: 17

I had a similar problem with my SX230HS. My camera was in a belt case; when I pulled it out to take a picture, I saw a "lens error, please restart" message. On mine, though, all I had to do was recycle the camera power.

Just a hunch: Canon cameras will display this message if the lens is blocked when it tries to extend. Are you accidentally turning it on whill it's inside of a case?

treaks Senior Member • Posts: 1,896

Consider yourself lucky at least it still was on warranty. Just got my S90 back from Canon, $169 later it was repaired for the same error message...seems to be a fairly common occurrence with these retractable lenses.

Treaks

MRad13 New Member • Posts: 1

A few months ago I received the same lens error on my Canon S95 when trying to fully zoom in. Since the lens error, each time I try to fully zoom in, the camera shuts down.

I have been a loyal Canon customer over the years and purchased many Canon Power Shots. As the consumer, I've come to learn the lens error is a common occurrence as it has happened with every single Power Shot I've owned. In the past, I've sent the cameras back to Canon and they've repaired them under warranty each time.

When it came time to decide which new compact digital I'd purchase, it was between the Canon S95 and the Panasonic Lumix LX5. I was considering the Lumix for one sole reason, Canon's common lens error. I ultimately decided to go with the S95 due to what I thought was Canon's great warranty program. I received the lens error within less than a few months of owning the camera, and just recently sent it in for repair. Rather than repair it under warranty, they sent me an email with a credit card form and a quote of $149 + $10 to repair. I've been communicating back and forth with their customer service department as they are refusing to cover the repair costs claiming I dropped my camera due to wear and tear on the outside edges of the camera, not the lens. They sent me images of my camera but they showed no internal damage. Canon customer service rep: "I understand your concerns and frustration. As I am sure you are already aware from previous contact, impact damage is not covered
by the warranty. At this point I think we should wait for the images of
the damage to be sent and then consider any additional price changes to
the repair cost. I do apologize for the inconvenience this causes."
The camera was never dropped nor damaged by me.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar issue with the Canon customer service department or repair center in regards to the lens error. I've read the post from Bob N. in this thread about the lens error being caused be the "flash deploying when a finger blocks its path". I have found this to be a design defect and a huge inconvenience when flash is on auto.

I am going to contact Canon's customer service department again and keep you all posted on how they decide to resolve my issue. Hopefully I can continue to speak highly of Canon as I once did to everyone who has asked for my reviews on the various Power Shots and DSLRs I've owned.

rossmat Junior Member • Posts: 42

My S95 is dead now for the same reason,as is a friend of mines. The plastic drive gear that extends the lense on start up is broken on mine, canon will not repair it under warrenty and want most of the value of the camera to fix it., it is very common occurance, if the camera is switched on in a soft case by mistake and the lense movement is restricted it will often break this gear or if it manages to extend, any loading on the front of the lense then strips the gear.

As I know of folks that have had this happen more than once I have resisted bothering to get it fixed and bought an LX5 which frankly I prefer. I do have an SX230HS as well which has been great. I use this almost all the time as a do all go everywhere camera, the high ISO is amazingly good as is the video and useful long lense.

stickynugget Regular Member • Posts: 156

I usually not only carry four or five cameras but also carry a complete backup photographer.

This way if all my cameras fail and something happens like an asteroid falls from the sky and smacks me right in the head I will still have pictures from the backup photographer.

roblevin New Member • Posts: 2

I came across this thread because I recommended the S95 to a friend and they told me about the lens problem.

I have both the S90 and the S95. I have the S95 and my wife has the S90. Neither of which has given a seconds worth of problem.

Now this may not seem like much but then again you don't know my wife. As much as I love her she can break anything so to read this about the Canon S95 (and I am assuming it's the same for the S90) and know that she has been carrying this camera in her purse for months and probably done unspeakable things to it and it still works flawlessly surprises me based on what I read from other members.

For the record when I go out on casual shoots I take my 1D3, 5D2 the S95 and a few lenses (16 - 25 f2.8 L, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f2.8L, 100-400 f3.5-5.6? L) in a large backpack. But then again I also consider these outings to be a physical workout so I save on gym fees.

roblevin's gear list:roblevin's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS-1D Mark III +8 more
Geo123 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Canon s95 Lens Error - Same issue

I seem to have the same issue. The cause appears to be accidentally turning the camera on and extending the lens while taking it out of a soft neoprene case. I had a previous SD950 and I can not say more about its fantastic durability through very rough treatment. The s95, which I have babied is now unusable.

From the sound of it, I am probably looking at a substantial repair bill. Did you ever resolve the issue?

George-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads