Upgrade from HX-1 to HX-100V

Started Apr 6, 2011 | Discussions
ukmark62 Regular Member • Posts: 160
Upgrade from HX-1 to HX-100V

I currently own the Sony HX-1 and am considering getting the HX-100V.

I know that Alan is probably the only person right now in possession of the HX-100V and he has been very helpful in posting a lot of images he has taken.

I'm still trying to get my head round whether the upgrade is worth it or not. It would appear that the HX-100V has improved on the video side of things (50p/60p etc) and added quite a few bells and whistles and it would appear has improved on the IQ (possibly less noise).

However, I would like to see if anybody else is in the same position as myself and also considering upgrading the HX-1 to the HX-100V and if they would share their thoughts and opinions.

Right now, I'm leaning towards getting the camera (but still keeping the HX-1).

The 720p video on the HX-1 is very good and is very easy to edit on the PC. I'm a little concerned that the 50p/60p video of the HX-100V may be more troublesome to edit. I currently use Windows Movie Maker or AVS Video Editor to edit video and find both of them up to the task and easy to use for my purposes. As far as stills go, I view them on a 42-inch HDTV and rarely print (and that would never be larger than A4). I'm happy with the images on the HX-1 as I don't crop or pixel-peep. I do a little pp in PSE 9 and use Noiseware to handle the noise.

Any opinions?

bruckshaw1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,106
Re: Upgrade from HX-1 to HX-100V

ukmark62,

I too am considering upgrading HX1 to HX100V but if I do it will be on the basis of still evidence only. I do take a few videos but they are not so important to me.

Alan has kindly shown some good images but I remain to be convinced of its superiority over the HX1.

I particular I see some lack of sharpness in some images and the feather image posted recently has me really worried by its lack of detail although I have not accessed the exif data.

I will wait for some professional reviews before I decide.

Eric

bruckshaw1's gear list:bruckshaw1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
ajphs10 Forum Member • Posts: 71

i was in the same position as you ive got the hx1 and was wondering about the hx100v as an upgrade but after seeing what had been posted on the forum i went out to jessops last night and picked it up ive only been playing with it now for about 2 hours and ive got to say one of the best moves ive made you wont be disappointed i shall be posting some random pics later and hope to get a vid uploaded to youtube showing abit more of the zoom fuction in action. I,ll posts links later when ive got something.

21st Hermit Veteran Member • Posts: 5,470
Sony HX-100V GPS

I'm considering the HX-100v for its GPS, as it is the only super-zoom with both GPS and a viewfinder. Composing on an LCD is unacceptable for my needs.

FWIW

-- hide signature --

Lost in the Colorado Mountains!!!

Joe M Amadas Regular Member • Posts: 181
Re: Sony HX-100V GPS

I have a HX1 and a HX5
both will be replaced with the HX9V
why?
see here:
http://hx9v.blogspot.com/

Needs New Member • Posts: 19

ajphs10 wrote:

i was in the same position as you ive got the hx1 and was wondering about the hx100v as an upgrade but after seeing what had been posted on the forum i went out to jessops last night and picked it up ive only been playing with it now for about 2 hours and ive got to say one of the best moves ive made you wont be disappointed i shall be posting some random pics later and hope to get a vid uploaded to youtube showing abit more of the zoom fuction in action. I,ll posts links later when ive got something.

Hello,

Hope you are still liking the camera!

Can I just ask if you can actually use the manual zoom and focus ring during video recording?

(and if you can do so, can you switch to auto there after, and vice versa without having to pause the recording of the video?)

Would really appreciate the answer. Thank you! (:

Needs,

If your post was intended for Alan (ASR45) he has repeatedly said that he never does video recording as he will undoubtedly point out.

Eric

Hello bruckshaw1,

Nope, I don't think I see Alan (ASR45) anywhere in this thread? Yeap, and from other threads I do realise that he (Alan) does not do any videos as well!

I'm refering the question to ajphs10, as it seem to me he has gotten his hands on the HX-100V if you look at his post (:
I hope I didn't misunderstood his message.

Thanks anyway (:

Hello Needs,

My apologies ... a senior moment.

Another senior moment when I mis-read "moves" as "movies" in the first post in ajphs10's first post in this thread!...

Regards

Eric

Needs wrote:

ajphs10 wrote:

Hello,

Hope you are still liking the camera!

Can I just ask if you can actually use the manual zoom and focus ring during video recording?

(and if you can do so, can you switch to auto there after, and vice versa without having to pause the recording of the video?)

Would really appreciate the answer. Thank you! (:

Hi yes you can use the manual zoom ring when in video mode to zoom in and out but if you switch to manual focus it still seems to stay in auto mode also when you push the focus button it says operation not availible in video mode so from what i can see at the mo there is no manual focus in video mode but i may be wrong.

ajphs10 wrote:

Hi yes you can use the manual zoom ring when in video mode to zoom in and out but if you switch to manual focus it still seems to stay in auto mode also when you push the focus button it says operation not availible in video mode so from what i can see at the mo there is no manual focus in video mode but i may be wrong.

Thank you so much ajphs10 for the feedback!

How do you find the video mode? I am particularly interested in HX-100V and hope it shoots good video well.. (and audio!)

Past P&S cameras I experienced with from other brands often had trouble focusing and had to often hunt and refocus - which spoils the video experience. (especially so if you compared HS20EXR to it; as per video samples on Youtube)

Any comment about it's auto focus for video mode? Especially low light if you have already tested it!

I am more or less confident of it's image quality, just worried about video recording.

Appreciate all the comment, feedbacks and help you've provided!

Thanks!

PS: If you have any updates regarding manual control for focus, do let me know! (:

Needs wrote:

ajphs10 wrote:

Thank you so much ajphs10 for the feedback!

How do you find the video mode? I am particularly interested in HX-100V and hope it shoots good video well.. (and audio!)

audio wise i tested this afternoon over the fields i had the wind reduction option turned on you could hear the wind quite abit when played back but i,ll admit where i was standing the wind was pushing around the 20mph ish speed.

Past P&S cameras I experienced with from other brands often had trouble focusing and had to often hunt and refocus - which spoils the video experience. (especially so if you compared HS20EXR to it; as per video samples on Youtube)

only made one video but didnt seem to have any focus issues at all i found it was super quick to catch on to what i was looking at even at full zoom (optical) i found the focus super quick and very clear i played the clip back on my 55 inch hdtv and was very pleased with the results.

Any comment about it's auto focus for video mode? Especially low light if you have already tested it!

not tested low light as of yet. will try to get vids and some pics posted tonight on here plus on youtube.

I am more or less confident of it's image quality, just worried about video recording.

Appreciate all the comment, feedbacks and help you've provided!

Thanks!

PS: If you have any updates regarding manual control for focus, do let me know! (:

atari_ckx New Member • Posts: 12

Hi, I've a HX1 and waiting for more professional reviews to get a HX100v. But am I almost decided to get the HX100v. Why? I'm satisfied with my camera, but it's almost 2 years old, and the technology does a big steps (not always, I know).

I'm looking for: a) same or better PQ, b) better speed for focusing AND shoot bursts [the 15 seconds delay to store 10 fps kills me], c) better zoom reach, d) more up to date product ... among others ...

Also, the GPS, better video, better panorama and better LCD screen are a plus.

ATARI

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,439

My recommendations: Shoot video with the HX100V in 1920 X 1080 mode using 60i. It will automatically convert to 30p for playback on a computer screen. The bit-rate will be smaller than 60p. Shoot photos in 16:9 widescreen. They will use 12 Megapixels

and have an extra bit-per-pixel for encoding. The file-size will be about the same as for the 4:3 aspect 16 megapixel shots, but will have higher encoding quality.

I have an HX1 and have enjoyed and appreciated it a lot, but unless I suffer a financial setback in the next few weeks or Sony goes out of business, I intend to buy an HX100V.
--
Steve McDonald
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22121562@N00/
http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos

http://video.yahoo.com/people/4019627

Tom Hoots
Tom Hoots Veteran Member • Posts: 6,072
Not.

ukmark62 wrote:

I currently own the Sony HX-1 and am considering getting the HX-100V.

Kind of similar here -- I like the "new features," but I have enormous doubts about the image quality.

I know that Alan is probably the only person right now in possession of the HX-100V and he has been very helpful in posting a lot of images he has taken.

Yes, all true. However, it really requires a bit of 100% pixel peeping and full EXIF information to truly know what you're getting. I sure cannot and will not judge the camera's image quality based on the images we've seen in here so far.

On the other hand, I have seen quite a few images at 100% now, and the only word that comes to mind is " gruesome ." I'm about 99% sure that I will sit tight and be plenty happy with my HX1.

I'm still trying to get my head round whether the upgrade is worth it or not. It would appear that the HX-100V has improved on the video side of things (50p/60p etc) and added quite a few bells and whistles and it would appear has improved on the IQ (possibly less noise).

Perhaps less noise, but perhaps joltin' giant piles of mush.

Right now, I'm leaning towards getting the camera (but still keeping the HX-1).

I don't care about the video, I'd love to have the new features, but I'm not going to pony up real money for an enormous hit against picture quality.

I'm happy with the images on the HX-1 as I don't crop or pixel-peep.

I don't really "pixel peep" once I'm off and running with a new camera, but I do think there is substantial value in seeing what a camera produces at 100% viewing -- I just don't think that an awful pile of mush at 100% can look better at a "normal" viewing size than something that produces a cleaner, more detailed picture at 100%. Thus, I do consider 100% pixel peeping results before I purchase any new camera.

I've seen a couple of dozen original, real-world shots at 100% so far, and I can easily say that they have "scared me away" from the HX100V. But, I'll keep my mind open to the extent I can -- I'll definitely need to see some good comparisons between the HX1 and the HX100V before I'll pay real money for 16-megapixel madness.

Tom Hoots
http://thoots.zenfolio.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhoots/
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads