E-PL1 and Panny 45-200 OIS lens

Started Apr 4, 2011 | Discussions
BobT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,193
E-PL1 and Panny 45-200 OIS lens

Is this a good combo? Is the Panasonic lens with IS in-lens workable (without problems) with the E-PL1 with IBIS? Do you simply disable the IS in the lens? Or the camera body? And then, if all is workable with this concern(one way or other), just how good does this lens do on the PEN? IQ? Size/weight? And lastly, can the Panny lens be attached to the PEN body withOUT any extra adapter?
I'm still a MFT newbie....but learning....slowly. Thanks

BobT's gear list:BobT's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 30,162
Re: E-PL1 and Panny 45-200 OIS lens

Bob, any M4/3 lens plugs into any M4/3 body without any dramas - no adapters needed.

The 45-200mm lens seems to get reasonable reviews but don't expect miracles at the tele end, as is the same with most long tele lenses built to a price.

Best to turn off IBIS and use the lens OIS is my guess. The books say not to use both together but some say they do and it works OK.

Panasonic don't make the smallest lenses so the size might annoy if wanting a small kit. Olympus have generally tried harder to make their lenses smaller and lighter.

Try the simulator at http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/matching.html to get an idea of how chunky the lens might be in comparison to other choices.

In my case on the weekend I was using the very old Oly 40-150mm 4/3 lens that has the larger maximum apertures and it was not too big for me to handle. In my own case I like the small body and large lens combination, and was also using the 4/3 11-22mm and the 4/3 14-54mm lenses with no problems. Come to think of it I didn't use the normal M4/3 kit lenses at all for the whole 4 days I was away.

Some Pany lens tests here may be of interest http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/69

Regards......... Guy

BobT wrote:

Is this a good combo? Is the Panasonic lens with IS in-lens workable (without problems) with the E-PL1 with IBIS? Do you simply disable the IS in the lens? Or the camera body? And then, if all is workable with this concern(one way or other), just how good does this lens do on the PEN? IQ? Size/weight? And lastly, can the Panny lens be attached to the PEN body withOUT any extra adapter?
I'm still a MFT newbie....but learning....slowly. Thanks

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 +2 more
OP BobT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,193

Thanks for leading me especially to the "slrgear' website. I was thinking of picking up a Panny 45-200mm for the extra reach over that of my 40-150mm. But I may have second thoughts. Seems the OLY lens rates a bit better than the Panny; with both seeming to fizzle out as the tele gets tele-er. The 40-150 seems to get better marks in general as well. The original plan was to possibly dump that lens for the longer Panny. Maybe not, now.

BobT's gear list:BobT's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 30,162

BobT wrote:

Thanks for leading me especially to the "slrgear' website. I was thinking of picking up a Panny 45-200mm for the extra reach over that of my 40-150mm. But I may have second thoughts. Seems the OLY lens rates a bit better than the Panny; with both seeming to fizzle out as the tele gets tele-er. The 40-150 seems to get better marks in general as well. The original plan was to possibly dump that lens for the longer Panny. Maybe not, now.

Many have dumped the 45-200mm for that reason (not so good) plus of course it's bigger and heavier than the Oly kit. If wanting serious good tele you need to go heavy duty and then end up with big lenses on a bigger body like some appropriate Nikon or Canon DSLR model.

Anyway, with any camera I usually am quite happy to take the longest tele and then do post process crop to get a bit more reach.

If wanting a very large print then that's not so good an idea, but for an A4 or letter size print then you really only need about 4 megapixels to get something that still looks good. That means for E-PL1 a crop at about 1.5x or 1.6x linear will deliver, turning the 300mm equivalent into 450mm or 480mm equivalent. For a postcard print or for TV 1920x1080 display then that can be taken even further.

Shake and stability issues usually limit what you can do with long lenses and it's at its best best with good light and/or tripods.

Regards.......... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 +2 more
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468

BobT wrote:

Although Guy correctly pointed you to one of the major sites for lens reviews, I would never look at one site only before arriving a decision, one important reason being that no two copies of the same lens are exactly the same and that sample variation is larger than we might think and certainly than we might like (although Panasonic is possibly a bit better in this regard than some other brands). In particular, I would be careful about discarding a lens on the basis of a single review since the site in question might simply have encountered a "lemon". If the same lens tests well at other reasonably serious sites, the conclusion I would draw is that the bad review was due primarily to sample variation.

So it's a good idea to check out several sites/reviews (the more the better). The two biggest ones aside from SLRgear are Lenstip and Photozone, and you might want to check out what they have to say as well (to the extent that they say something; not all lenses are as extensively tested as we would like). DPR tests some lenses too, and offer reviews of at least some Panasonic (probably also Oly) lenses. In addition you might want to look at users reviews at the review sites, at places like Amazon or B&H, and on the form of forum posts here on DPR or other places. When I do, I don't pay attention to the number of satsified versus dissatisfied people or summary scores only, but pay particular attention to those comments that seem to be based on personal testing by experienced users.

Finally, due to the fact that sample variation is a reality, I try to avoid buying a lens without having an opportunity to return it if I am not satisfied. In addition, I personally test every lens I buy the first thing I do, just to verify that I did not get a bad copy.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
abatterbury New Member • Posts: 20

I actually have a PL1 and the Panny 45-200mm. Overall I like it, though I definitely cut it some slack based on what a great value it is. Here's what I can say from my own experience:
--AF is fast in good light and crappy in low light, but always silent
--Sharpness is good

-- hide signature --

It's big, but not oversized on a u4/3 body, but it does extend a little below the base on my PL1
--It's so affordable!

For the specific question about the IS, I turn off the body and turn on the lens and get good results. I can't recall where I read this, but I'm pretty sure that this is the general recommendation. Consider this - the IS in the lens is rated an extra stop relative to the body, and the reason that Pannys (e.g. the GF1) doesn't have in-body IS is because the lenses give you all you need.

As you can see from the photo, it's pretty sharp even fully extended, but there is noticeable chromatic aberration just below the squirrel's mouth. This guy wasn't going to stand still for me to do a lens test, but suffice to say that your fancy DSLR with it's fancy lens would get a better result, but I have money for the plane ticket to New Zealand to take the pretty pictures

--Alex

abatterbury's gear list:abatterbury's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads