HX9V - Some Further Thoughts

Started Mar 29, 2011 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
zurtvortex Forum Member • Posts: 65
HX9V - Some Further Thoughts

Now I have had a chance to use it some more, there are some very obvious conclusions to be drawn when comparing to my TZ7...

High ISO - is exceptionally good, 1600 has no yellow blotches, is sharper and can be used up to 10x8". If you use the Superior iAuto 2000 ISO (a composite of 5 shots) outperforms 200 ISO on the TZ7. Yes, I know, you all want loads of images posted but for now this is just a written assessment.

Smearing/loss of IQ/NR - 16mp produces considerably more than the 10mp Pana, but unless you sit at your screen counting pixels, you won't care because you'll be out enjoying your photography.

Low light - exceptional, and the flash range is particluarly impressive. I took a late dusk movie in 50p and it still managed to focus despite the gloom. And it was sharp and shake-free.

Still Image Stabilisation - not so good, rarely can I get a shake-free image (in P mode) at less than 1/15s whereas the TZ7 consistently gives sharp images at 1/8s or even less. However, in Movie mode it is completely different as it adds digital stabilisation to optical which results in much great stability.

But it is all the i-options that make this camera so versatile; its ability to do multiple overlays to produce more-than-acceptable hi-ISO images is a treat.

OK, I give in, just one low light image, using the Superior Auto mode, hand held, manual white balance and note the ISO!

Any further questions?

Joe M Amadas Regular Member • Posts: 181
Re: HX9V - Some Further Thoughts

thanks for that short comparison.
however "...as it adds digital stabilisation to optical..."

the HX series has no digital stabilisation, they use a 10 times bigger movement area for the lens stabilisation in active mode. i just wished we could activate that in normal photo mode too.

Orange = normal stabilisation - Blue = active mode stabilisation

zurtvortex OP Forum Member • Posts: 65

the HX series has no digital stabilisation, they use a 10 times bigger movement area for the lens stabilisation in active mode. i just wished we could activate that in normal photo mode too.>

Oops! I just kinda assumed the Active stabilization was digital. And agreed, I don't know why it cannot be used for all shooting modes!

harry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,219

I hope there's a reason (or better yet, with a firmware fix) on the active image stablization.

Nonetheless, your assessment just added another convincing argument for the HX9V (and HX100V) in comparison to the competitors. It appears that Fujifilm's F550EXR turned out to be a bad performer with video AF (a deal killer for me).

-- hide signature --

HLL7575

harry's gear list:harry's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 +7 more
Joe M Amadas Regular Member • Posts: 181

no chance harry, but for these situation there is hand held twilight or anti motion blur.

with my hx5 i could get sharp results up to 1/4 sec with exhaling and then staying very still for a second. the most time the picture gets unsharp is by moving the camera while pressing the stutter.

one thing i would like to know is how is the image quality from the 3MP picture what you get while taking a picture in video mode.

RayUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,028

zurtvortex wrote:

Any further questions?

How are you finding the new grip? My HX5 is a bit too flat for me, so I was thinking of going to the HX100 - however that would be a bit overkill for my needs. I really need something totally comfortable in my smallish hands.

BTW - hope you enjoyed the Bill Bryson in the background.

Ray

RayUK wrote:

How are you finding the new grip? My HX5 is a bit too flat for me, so I was thinking of going to the HX100 - however that would be a bit overkill for my needs. I really need something totally comfortable in my smallish hands.

BTW - hope you enjoyed the Bill Bryson in the background.

Hi Ray.

The front step in the grip facilitates one-handedness well, although I prefer two for stability. Being a textured rubber cover improves it all the more, plus the rubber pad on the back keeps the thumb firmly in place.

As for Bill Bryson, yes, I did enjoy it at the time (2003) but he is now, cosmologically, rather out of date!

Chris

SemiLOOSE Regular Member • Posts: 120

where did you get the camera from?

SemiLOOSE wrote:

where did you get the camera from?

Pre-ordered from Sony UK about 2 weeks ago, delivered last Friday.

Marti58
Marti58 MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 22,286
i would love to see

some outdoor images in various conditions and from various objects.

from the samples shown from the so called Pre production models i found even the base iso shots weak/strange or what ever you can call it.

also some sites have said that heavy NR is playing up at base iso outdoor shots.

is the final production model better in that regard ?
--
All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marti58/

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 +37 more
RayUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,028

zurtvortex wrote:

As for Bill Bryson, yes, I did enjoy it at the time (2003) but he is now, cosmologically, rather out of date!

Chris

Just like me, then !

Ray

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,496
Re: i would love to see

Have look forward to more

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D750 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +8 more

Marti58 wrote:

from the samples shown from the so called Pre production models i found even the base iso shots weak/strange or what ever you can call it.

also some sites have said that heavy NR is playing up at base iso outdoor shots.

is the final production model better in that regard ?

Not having seen pre-production shots I have nothing to compare with. But, it has to be said that there is considerable smearing, even at base ISO. Reducing the sharpening to its lowest level makes a small difference.

OK, so what I have done is take 3 images all at 1:1 with the HX9V (of my back wall!) at 100 ISO using the 3 sharpness levels and one from the TZ7 for comparison purposes.

Original (medium sharpness)

High (+)

Standard

Low (-)

TZ7

But bear in mind the full-size image would be about 52"x39" and I don't view or print to that size!

Chris

Alika Regular Member • Posts: 105

It's disappointing that Sony rarely can't get a shake-free image at less than 1/15s whereas the TZ7 performs better.

Zurtvortex, which focal length did you compare. I mean 1/15 at 24 mm is not really challenging...

Did you try other anti shake modes if available at all ?

I would be also interested how the Sony performs in terms of AF speed as compared to the TZ7?

Pictures look great nd very promising ...

Alika wrote:

It's disappointing that Sony rarely can't get a shake-free image at less than 1/15s whereas the TZ7 performs better.

Zurtvortex, which focal length did you compare. I mean 1/15 at 24 mm is not really challenging...

Taking stills there is no choice of stabilisation on the HX9V, you can't even switch it off. On the TZ7 I used Auto (camera decides when stab required). Shutter speeds to achieve repeated sharpness, both at 12x zoom: TZ7 1/15th sec, HX9V 1/20th sec.

But the HX9V in movie mode is much much better - at full 16x zoom, holding the camera on a fixed point is achieved with hardly any movement at all. If only the same increased stabilisation could be applied to stills... I wish!

AF: I have no way of measuring times so this is purely subjective, but I would say the TZ7 (set to high speed centre) is about the same as the HX9V but the Sony writes to card more quickly thus reducing its shot-to-shot times.

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,379
Image Stabilization and Low-Light Shooting

Actually, it would have been easy for Sony to have applied digital image stabilization along with the optical type in video mode. A smaller sector of the sensor is used for video than for full-size photos, with about 20% of the pixels unused around the edges. This is why there is a longer focal-length for video. The unused outer margin could be employed by having the edges of the active sector range around into it, as needed for stabilization. The combination of the two types, could improve video steadiness even more than is achieved with OIS alone and without loss of image quality.

Since only 2.1 Megapixels are needed for 1920 X 1080 video, there are about six pixels used to derive just one video pixel. This is one reason that video on these cameras can be shot in much lower light, with good results. When it's late evening and too dark for any kind of photo, you can grab a usable image by shooting HD video and later capturing still frames from it. The OIS works better with video in low light, for the same reason. The derived video is much brighter and with contrast-based autofocus, there's a sharper image to allow the system to work better. Autofocusing and image stabilization work interdependently with each other.
--
Steve McDonald
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22121562@N00/
http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos

http://video.yahoo.com/people/4019627

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads