HX9V now in UK

Started Mar 24, 2011 | Discussions
zurtvortex Forum Member • Posts: 65
HX9V now in UK

Have just been notified by Sony UK that my preordered HX9V has been despatched despite availabilty being predicted for mid-April.

Will make the user manual available to all when I get it.

More to follow..... !

avisti Regular Member • Posts: 209
Re: HX9V now in UK

zurtvortex wrote:

Have just been notified by Sony UK that my preordered HX9V has been despatched despite availabilty being predicted for mid-April.

Will make the user manual available to all when I get it.

More to follow..... !

User manual may be of interest to some, but most of us would probably be thankful for sample pictures.

RichSmith Regular Member • Posts: 114

Well I can't speak for most of us, but I know that I for one am looking forward to seeing the users guide. Thanks much for offering to make it available.
Enjoy your new camera.

OP zurtvortex Forum Member • Posts: 65

I've had it now for 24 hours and...

The user guide is in html format and the most annoying thing about the whole package, because...

it is a fantastic piece of kit.

I'm not going to post masses of Pictures for Pixel-Peepers to Pick to Pieces; sufficient to say I have been using a Pana ZS3/TZ7 for the past two year and have tried their LX3 and 5 and the Canon S90 (but realised I prefer P&S cameras) and...

the HX9V is a superb piece of kit which instantly relegates my TZ7 to being an unused spare. I'm no reviewer so I'll keep it simple.

Ergonomics - the rubber grip is good but I'm going to have to re-educate my L hand 'cos the flash attempts to pop up where my index finger is!

The screen is very sharp and clear but bright sunlight, like nearly all LCDs, it can be guesswork.

I'm only just beginning to get to grips with the menu system but it all seems pretty logical to me.

Image quality is good, much better than the TZ7 despite its 16 Mpx. I don't pixel peep, just put them up for view on a 42" Panasonic screen or print up to A4 - more than good enough for me.

I haven't even begun to find my way through the plethora of shooting options, but the Superior i-Auto seems almost faultless except for recording speed which, with a Class 6 SDHC

I've had it now for 24 hours and all I can say (so far) is...

it IS an amazing little point and shoot camera.

I'm not going to Post Piles of Pictures for Pixel-Peepers to Pick to Pieces; sufficient to say I have been using a Panasonic ZS3/TZ7 for the past two years and have also tried their LX3 and 5 (but realised I prefer P&S cameras). So...

the HX9V is a superb piece of kit which instantly relegates my TZ7 to being an unused spare. I'm no reviewer so I'll try and keep it simple.

Ergonomics - the rubber grip is good but I'm going to have to re-educate my L hand 'cos the flash attempts to pop up where my index finger is!

The screen is very sharp and clear but bright sunlight, like nearly all LCDs, you can be reduced to guesswork.

I'm only just beginning to get to grips with the menu system but it all seems pretty logical to me. The in-camera help menus are there, but mostly unread by me.

Image quality is good, much better than the TZ7 despite its 16 Mpx. I don't pixel peep, just put them up for view on a 42" Panasonic screen or print up to A4 - more than good enough for me. In low light it knocks the spots of the TZ7.

I haven't even begun to find my way through the plethora of shooting options, but the Superior i-Auto seems almost faultless except for recording speed which, with a Class 6 SDHC card, is slow.

Macro is first class: although it says 5cm minimum, what it doesn't say is that you can zoom out to 16x and then stand about 3 feet from your subject! Reduce the zoom to 4x and it will focus to about 4" for lovely crisp images.

I am, of course, saving the best till last: the movie mode. It is just incredible, using

AVCHD at 50p and playing it back on my 42" screen is superbly smooth with the IS working extremely well.

The custom button is useful - AE/ISO/Colour Balance.

Drawbacks? Not many, but I am having to get used to the Sony colour rendition which is a bit exaggerated to my eyes. However, it can be remedied in P mode but I'm still playing with that.

What don't I like?

The manual! I want a .pdf file I can print and study.
In-camera charging of the battery which, from empty, takes over 4 hours.
In manual mode there are only two f options: max or min.

But those are minor gripes - overall I am certain it is going to be a winner for Sony and a keeper for me.

I will put a few images up for those who are desperate (but bear in mind natural history is my interest).

All straight-out-of-the-camera jpegs:

Oops! Just noticed I accidentally posted an unfinished version earlier. Sorry.

Chris

camfused Junior Member • Posts: 32

Thanks Chris. Which brand of SDHC class 6 card do you have?

Sandisk

C.

Essenobi Regular Member • Posts: 114

Hi Chris,

How many different video recording modes are there?

Best,
Nate

How many different video recording modes are there?

Best I quote from the camera:

HD (Dolby Digital Stereo) 50/60fps (EU/US)

AVC HD 28M (PS) - 28 Mbps/1920×1080 (60p/50p) (= 35 mins on 8Gb card)
AVC HD 24M (FX) - 24 Mbps/1920×1080 (60i/50i)
AVC HD 17M (FH) - 17 Mbps/1920×1080 (60i/50i)
AVC HD 9M (HQ) - 9 Mbps/1440×1080 (60i/50i)

With the exception of PS, all the above will allow you to take stiil pics at the same time as the movie (Dual Record).

(In the UK & EU recording is limited to 29 mins)

MP4 (AAC Audio) 25/30fps (EU/US)

MP4 12 Mbps - 1440×1080
MP4 6 Mbps - 1280×720
MP4 3 Mbps - VGA

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Also, one other question.

Outside of video mode the camera can take up to 10 shots per second. Can you still take this many pictures during video mode? Because I'm curious as to how creative one could get with combining stop-motion and video.

Thanks again Chris

apg163 Junior Member • Posts: 27

many thanks for the review - after so much speculation, it is good to see some real information!

Do you have any low-light shots you could post please? With its CMOS sensor, I'd love to see how it handles gloomy indoor shooting without using a flash.

ucdcrush Regular Member • Posts: 265
Slow mo?

Thanks for posting the video specs, since you didn't include it, I am afraid to see there is no slow-mo video function? I was really hoping they had included one like so many other CMOS cameras have.

Joe M Amadas Regular Member • Posts: 181
super macro

Hi Chris
could you please check if the HX9V has a super macro mode?
the HX5 could focus the same 5 cm from full wide up to 2.4 x
see my post about that for more info
http://hx5v.blogspot.com/2010/05/sony-hx5-macro-zoom.html

I am sure you will have lots of fun, and we are all interested what you discover, like how good or bad is the wheel in normal use.

Joe

camfused Junior Member • Posts: 32

zurtvortex wrote:

Sandisk

C.

Bummer! That is a 20MB/sec card, so it looks like a good (expensive) class 10 might be needed for good response.

bab4 Regular Member • Posts: 455

Somehow I doubt this is true. The TZ7 has a very sharp lens and in good lighting still one of the best cameras in it's class. Try taking two pics with these two cameras in good lighting and see if the Sony is indeed "much better" than the Panasonic. I doubt it. Video however should have the Sony totally blowing the Pany away though.

zurtvortex wrote:

I've had it now for 24 hours and...

Image quality is good, much better than the TZ7 despite its 16 Mpx.

bab4's gear list:bab4's gear list
YI M1
RayUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,028

zurtvortex wrote:

With the exception of PS, all the above will allow you to take stiil pics at the same time as the movie (Dual Record).

So the UK model DOES have dual record mode, despite what the press release/specs. say. But how does it work - can it take a stream of stills from one shutter press, or do you need a shutter press for each still - in this case doesn't this cause the video to jitter ?

Ray

I'll try and answer as many of your queries as I can...

On anything less than the highest video quality it will allow single stills to be acquired, taking about 3 seconds to record before you can take the next. I tried using P with burst enabled but that made no difference. Gentle squeezing of the shutter release causes no jitter or noise that I could discern.

To answer a few other questions...

a. No super-macro mode, 5cm is the best it will do, but, and this is different to the TZ7, it will allow you to zoom in up to about 2.8x at the same distance and obtain an image larger than the TZ7 can achieve at 1cm (and with less distortion)!

b. No need to switch on the camera to review pics, just hold down the playback button and it goes straight to review mode with no lens extension. Tap the shutter release and it switches to record. Neat!

c. Low light. Now here's a conundrum! In P mode, set to ISO 100 it achieves a much brighter picture than the TZ7 but of similar quality. However, use the Superior i-Auto and it takes a series of 5 images, overlays them and presents a single acceptable image which is at ISO 800! I'm not saying ISO 800 is that good, but for low light.

d. Sadly, no slo-mo in video, but then I have a camcorder for that.

e. The control wheel is, to put it bluntly, not easy to use. You can press it rather than rotate for most things but, in M where adjusting shutter speed/aperture requires rotation, it is difficult to do so without pushing in at the same time.

Incidentally, the detent on the Mode Dial is firm and will not get knocked out of your chosen mode accidentally.

f. Camfused, you're probably right about the need for a Class 10 card.

g. IQ - HX9V v TZ7? Straight OOC Jpegs - you choose...

TZ7

HX9V

And I said I wasn't going to pixel-peep!

I have just tried playing with the sharpness setting and in the softer (minus) mode there appears to be less NR and is definitely better (to me) than the TZ7.

h. One other observation: the background defocus setting is very good between 50cm (at Wide Angle) to 10m (16x zoom). A useful tool.

I also forgot to add that battery life is not brilliant. I tried GPS, which works well, but it certainly drains the power. I don't use it normally and, without it, got about 200 images plus 5 videos (one was 29 mins!) and a lot of playback, so perhaps not too bad. And it will improve with repeated charging (which is very slow). Need a spare battery that's for sure.

This was meant to be a short response to various Qs but is getting a bit long winded. Will stop now and go and play with it some more - and there is a lot of options to play with!

Cheers.

JohnWho Contributing Member • Posts: 853

This is when a "PPP" (Purist Pixel Peeper) starts shaking and short circuits.

Some parts of each image look better than the other.

Would help if both were on a tripod in exactly the same spot with all of the settings (zoom level, focus point, F stop, ISO, etc.) were also the same, if possible. Also, if both cameras were in the same mode.

I'm not suggesting you go back and do this, just pointing out some of the difficulties in comparing these images.

However, I agree with you that they are both very close and one could argue that either is better according to what part of the image they "peep".

For example, the words on the stereo components seem a bit sharper on the HX9V, while the inlay or mat on the near table doesn't look as good on the HX9V.

They both seem to have done fairly well with the backlit plant, although the Sony seems a bit washed out when comparing.

Good image - thanks for sharing.

thanks again for all the helpful information and feedback Chris!

Joe M Amadas Regular Member • Posts: 181

thank´s Chris

I just called it a super-macro mode, it is no setting, just the ability to use the zoom up to 2.something from the same distance as in full wide. Most cameras are not able to do that.

Could you please share the manual with us?

If you want you can send it to me (just PM me) and I put it on my server and share the link here until Sony puts it finally on-line

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads